Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good ole Trumbull Ct.... my hometown, where the dairy farmer delivered eggs and milk to your front steps twice a week. With 2 miles of woods separating my parent's home from a local lake where we swam naked and fished with worms yanked out of the ground at the lake's edge... Trumbull, so very boring back then, so fondly recalled these days!

Note: as we all know, no UBER driver has any business ever asking for a rider to pay any cost associated with the ride, at least any cost outside of the established digital banking protocol. I can imagine some exceptions such as "gifted" coffee and donuts, but little else...

One further mystery: did the woman know that the driver had kept her card ? Was she simply too afraid to say anything? When did she get the UBER driver and when did she report the card stolen?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Cops: Uber drive kept, used passenger's debit card
By Frank Juliano

Updated 12:54 pm, Friday, March 3, 2017

TRUMBULL - Police have charged a Uber driver with larceny after he allegedly held onto to a passenger's debit card and later used it to make purchases.

Antwon McCray, 33, convinced the woman that he'd returned her debit card after she used it to pay for her transportation, Lt. Keith Golding said.

McCray is a convicted felon on parole from New York, the Trumbull police spokesman said, and was wearing a GPS monitoring unit on his ankle at the time of the incident.

The suspect used the victim's debit card to make purchases at businesses in Fairfield, Norwalk and Darien, police said.

"After learning of a warrant for his arrest, McCray turned himself in to authorities in Albany, N.Y.,'' Golding wrote in a press release. "He was subsequently extradited back to Trumbull on Thursday where he will face several larceny and criminal impersonation charges,'' Golding said.

He is currently being held on $50,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on March 9.

McCray has a lengthy criminal history which includes several felony and misdemeanor convictions, the Trumbull police spokesman said.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I think a bigger issue is how can he be a driver when he is a felon with an ankle bracelet?
Uber "relaxed" their policy to allow criminal records for non-violent offenses. This result is not surprising. Wonder if Uber can be considered libel? The only other thing that I'll say for now is: Bad Antwon! :mad: Bad Uber! :mad: Bad, Bad, Bad! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am not suprised one bit

uber has become a joke

Imagine you are leaving for vacation and you are waiting with your suitcases and this clown realizes that you are going to be away from home for a few weeks

It was a really stupid idea to allow these convicts to drive for uber

But

Seeing how badly uber treats its drivers and the very high rate of turn over I guess they have no choice but to go to the lowest form of slime ball to fill those seats

uber is a 4 letter word

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey, at least that driver did not have to sacrifice his dignity to drive for Uber. Uber has gone very low in terms of drivers and vehicles and it is hard to believe that they can still raise money and be valued at $68B. I would not touch their IPO and think they may have trouble going public.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
To many missing details....

My guess is, he was a local "alternative pharmaceutical reseller" holding her card (debit/EBT/credit) until she got paid...

She obviously wasn't an Uber passenger or she would have known that's not how Uber works...
she needed a "story" about how he wound up with her card and that's the one she told the cops...

·
Registered
2 Posts
To many missing details....

My guess is, he was a local "alternative pharmaceutical reseller" holding her card (debit/EBT/credit) until she got paid...

She obviously wasn't an Uber passenger or she would have known that's not how Uber works...
she needed a "story" about how he wound up with her card and that's the one she told the cops...
Hello, I know it's been some time since this incident, but I was the victim in this story. Since you sound so sure of what happened, let me correct you. My friends and I were out in Stamford, CT when this Uber driver pulled up to us and stated that he saw our ride request, but for whatever reason was unable to accept the request. He showed us on his end, so we knew he was a legit Uber driver. He then offered to drive us home at the same fare Uber was rating us, by using his Square reader. That is the point in which I gave him my debit card. Upon arriving home, I noticed I hadn't gotten my card back. I told him, and he got out of the vehicle with a flashlight to even help look for the card he was aware he was holding onto. And just for another correction to your very, very wrong assumption.. he was not local. He was a NY resident, not even supposed to be allowed out of the state as he was on parole complete with a GPS ankle bracelet. So in long, before you ASSUME someone is a lying drug addict, you should try to find compassion for someone who was a victim of grand theft, criminal impersonation, and forgery. You know what they say about people who assume.... Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Olivia, do you intend to drive for a ride/share company? Or are you simply trying to be an informed consumer?
Actually I imagine some members of this forum simply use it as a form of entertainment. Lots of human interest stories in here... and now, so is yours!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello, I know it's been some time since this incident, but I was the victim in this story. Since you sound so sure of what happened, let me correct you. My friends and I were out in Stamford, CT when this Uber driver pulled up to us and stated that he saw our ride request, but for whatever reason was unable to accept the request. He showed us on his end, so we knew he was a legit Uber driver. He then offered to drive us home at the same fare Uber was rating us, by using his Square reader. That is the point in which I gave him my debit card. Upon arriving home, I noticed I hadn't gotten my card back. I told him, and he got out of the vehicle with a flashlight to even help look for the card he was aware he was holding onto. And just for another correction to your very, very wrong assumption.. he was not local. He was a NY resident, not even supposed to be allowed out of the state as he was on parole complete with a GPS ankle bracelet. So in long, before you ASSUME someone is a lying drug addict, you should try to find compassion for someone who was a victim of grand theft, criminal impersonation, and forgery. You know what they say about people who assume.... Thank you.
I hear you Olivia and do not blame you. But he was probably not a legitimate Uber driver, but a scammer who had downloaded the driver app (which anyone can do) and was impersonating one. In a place as full of drivers as Stamford if he didn't take your ping it would have gone immediately to another driver who would have been on his way.

Last time I was at the NY cruise terminal coming off the ship I saw a bunch of guys on the corner holding up Uber signs and claiming to be drivers. No way, no rideshare driver gets his business like that. It's all done through the app, the rides go somewhat randomly to drivers in the area, and when you have a legitimate pickup you know it.

Glad you got some satisfaction from the law, hope you don't have bad feelings about rideshare from this experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hear you Olivia and do not blame you. But he was probably not a legitimate Uber driver, but a scammer who had downloaded the driver app (which anyone can do) and was impersonating one. In a place as full of drivers as Stamford if he didn't take your ping it would have gone immediately to another driver who would have been on his way.

Last time I was at the NY cruise terminal coming off the ship I saw a bunch of guys on the corner holding up Uber signs and claiming to be drivers. No way, no rideshare driver gets his business like that. It's all done through the app, the rides go somewhat randomly to drivers in the area, and when you have a legitimate pickup you know it.

Glad you got some satisfaction from the law, hope you don't have bad feelings about rideshare from this experience.
Police did actually confirm he was a legitimate Uber driver.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
So Olivia, are you still using UBER - if only for emergencies - or did the experience forever sour you on anything like a taxi cab service?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I am not suprised one bit

uber has become a joke

Imagine you are leaving for vacation and you are waiting with your suitcases and this clown realizes that you are going to be away from home for a few weeks

It was a really stupid idea to allow these convicts to drive for uber

But

Seeing how badly uber treats its drivers and the very high rate of turn over I guess they have no choice but to go to the lowest form of slime ball to fill those seats

uber is a 4 letter word
That already happened 2 years ago. God only knows what's going on now.

I had an especially asdhole pax i picked up at his house get on an airplane and leave his house and car keys behind. I was tempted to go take a ride in HIS car since he didn't tip in mine. But I'm not a felon so I didnt.

So in long, before you ASSUME someone is a lying drug addict, you should try to find compassion for someone who was a victim of grand theft, criminal impersonation, and forgery. You know what they say about people who assume.... Thank you.
You assumed he was telling the truth. Actually you're very lucky he was a scammer and not a serial killer.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Police did actually confirm he was a legitimate Uber driver.
You
That already happened 2 years ago. God only knows what's going on now.

I had an especially asdhole pax i picked up at his house get on an airplane and leave his house and car keys behind. I was tempted to go take a ride in HIS car since he didn't tip in mine. But I'm not a felon so I didnt.

You assumed he was telling the truth. Actually you're very lucky he was a scammer and not a serial killer.
Or a rapist! I don't understand how some women can put themselves in certain situations. I can't count how many times I pick up intoxicated women riding by themselves who pass out and I have to damn near yell to wake them up. Some need to know their limitations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts