Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refused to take a couple from Providence to Logan Airport in Boston last Friday. It was close to rush hour on the Friday of memorial weekend. There is a reason that Boston drivers get paid so much more. We are not allowed to pick up passengers in Massachusetts, we are not paid for any tolls incurred on the way home and we surely aren't paid enough to sit is Southeast expressway traffic. The same goes for any ride in the New York metro area.
Uber sent me a nasty little message saying that I cannot refuse a ride because of the destination. They threatened to suspend me or, what, fire me? Are we employees or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I refused to take a couple from Providence to Logan Airport in Boston last Friday. It was close to rush hour on the Friday of memorial weekend. There is a reason that Boston drivers get paid so much more. We are not allowed to pick up passengers in Massachusetts, we are not paid for any tolls incurred on the way home and we surely aren't paid enough to sit is Southeast expressway traffic. The same goes for any ride in the New York metro area.
Uber sent me a nasty little message saying that I cannot refuse a ride because of the destination. They threatened to suspend me or, what, fire me? Are we employees or not?
I am a taxi driver. I have to say that this post cracked me up. We get $220 to take people from Warwick to Boston. Doesn't matter what time of day it is doesn't matter what day of the week it is and whether or not it's the eve of a holiday weekend. We still get $220. 60% of that goes to the office. That's a lot of money. But as you noted that trip requires paying tolls sitting in traffic being able to take a return fareetc. etc. Why do you think taxis cost more? To account for those things. But that doesn't stop you guys from ragging on taxis for costing so much. Yet you make a post like this where it's obvious that you totally get why trip like that should pay more.

Duh!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Under our agreement with Uber, we aren't allowed to cancel a ride after we've accepted it because of the destination. The ride request indicates if it is a long ride. Here in Providence, that almost always means Boston. If you don't want to drive to Boston, hit "no thanks" or let it time out. It's a matter of being aware of your app instead of blindly hitting that black box. I once had a guy wait twice for drivers to arrive in Smithfield just to have them refuse the fare. By the time he requested me he had the foresight to call immediately to confirm that I was actually going to take him to Boston and not leave him hanging.

I like Boston runs. They usually come at the end of my "shift" and are a good way to get a nice long fare to end the day. As a side note, I used to stick around the city and pick up some extra money at that higher Boston rate, until Uber aged my car out recently. With no notice. THAT I'm not happy about.

Uber is not always the best business partner, but because we are self employed, we should be aware of what we are doing. My reason for this post isn't pro-Uber, it is pro-customer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I get an over 45 minute request I accept and call the pax immediately. I ask where he's going and if it's Boston I tell him that I don't like to go there because it takes too long to get there and back and doesn't pay enough, giving him the opportunity to sweeten the deal. I'll also offer to take him to Amtrak, T station or bus station and then cancel quickly so he can get someone else. Haven't had any complaints from Uber and haven't said no thanks to any lucrative long trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts