Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......with a catch. I got a 45+ indicator last night and accepted a guy rated 4.66. Seemed nice enough, but I was surprised he wanted to go all the way to New Jersey (so much for the 60+ notification I guess?). We negotiated an extra cash payment of $100, which seemed fine....... BUT then came the catch. He wanted to get booze and drink on the drive down there. If I recall, it would've been 186 miles estimated at 3.5 hrs. I decided to decline the trip because I'm a hardliner when it comes to not allowing booze in my car and we couldn't get an agreement. Did anyone here end up agreeing to drive this guy?

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Couldn't you be reported, and possibly deactivated, for negotiating a cash payment with a pax, whether a short trip around the block or a long trip?

Not saying you brought it up -- maybe he sweetened the fare if you initially balked at the distance or price. Then that's okay, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Couldn't you be reported, and possibly deactivated, for negotiating a cash payment with a pax, whether a short trip around the block or a long trip?

Not saying you brought it up -- maybe he sweetened the fare if you initially balked at the distance or price. Then that's okay, I guess.
It's in the fine print that drivers have the option to negotiate for compensation on trips that would take you out of your territory/region where you would incur obscene dead miles and tolls on the return trip.

One method I'd use would be to send the passenger a text through the app as written proof of your prearranged agreement so that they can't pull any b.s. You could essentially write a brief contract and have them reply 'yes' or 'I agree,' to cover yourself. As much as I would enjoy a nighttime highway trip to NJ, it's just not worth it without surge or negotiating a better deal imo.

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
It's in the fine print that drivers have the option to negotiate for compensation on trips that would take you out of your territory/region where you would incur obscene dead miles and tolls on the return trip.

One method I'd use would be to send the passenger a text through the app as written proof of your prearranged agreement so that they can't pull any b.s. You could essentially write a brief contract and have them reply 'yes' or 'I agree,' to cover yourself. As much as I would enjoy a nighttime highway trip to NJ, it's just not worth it without surge or negotiating a better deal imo.
Had no idea about the fine print.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts

its called a return to boundary agreement, there is a guy on you tube that did a video about it
i have heard of drivers doing this for NYC trips or way out of market

i could find it but i'm too lazy, as independent contractors there is nothing wrong with this on uber's end or ours

not sure if i would have done this either, the booze thing....would be my hangup
i would do the long trip if i was early in my shift or not tired at all

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
its called a return to boundary agreement, there is a guy on you tube that did a video about it

i could find it but i'm too lazy, as independent contractors there is nothing wrong with this on uber's end or ours

not sure if i would have done this either, the booze thing....would be my hangup
So, then a driver can take advantage of a drunk pax by requesting a $500 return fee for a Foxwoods trip. Or maybe during a blizzard with little surge. Perhaps it's often been done.

Not sure if drivers in other markets are even aware of this "return to boundary" policy, especially new drivers. Otherwise, I'd have seen lots of threads already addressing it on the many other cities I peek at.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, then a driver can take advantage of a drunk pax by requesting a $500 return fee for a Foxwoods trip. Or maybe during a blizzard with little surge. Perhaps it's often been done.

Not sure if drivers in other markets are even aware of this "return to boundary" policy, especially new drivers. Otherwise, I'd have seen lots of threads already addressing it on the many other cities I peek at.
Here's the video that clued me into the info that was posted on Uber's website, which has since been removed. CT is still within our area of operation, so I don't know that it would warrant a return to boundary charge. Hard to say where it applies and doesn't, but you shouldn't worry about discussing it with a pax when you're concerned about a trip with a lengthy distance.

·
Registered
673 Posts

drivers are clueless most dont know how to use destination filter cmon and foxwoods is still in New england market so no

·
Registered
376 Posts
Uber/Lyft just need to add an official "return to boundary" charge on rides with the criteria of such, & ensure that it is 100% credited to the driver as part of the fare and none of this back door dealin' would be necessary.

Hahahahahahahha. Yeah, like that'll ever happen.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts

He can booze all he wants if he stays in the trunk.

·
Registered
30 Posts

We did something similar to that when I used to work in FL, because once we crossed into GA we couldn't work, we'd have an agreement with the passenger in text thru the app stating whether we agreed on a specific cash amount to cover fuel/Time/ect OR we would keep the trip running until we crossed back over the state line and could work again, at that point ending the trip. We were told by Uber that was perfectly acceptable. Did it dozens of times without issue.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have questions about this. What happens if the rider ends the ride after you drop them off? We all know Uber and Lyft are not going to side with the rider. Second if the rider agrees to this they may not be aware that they can not request another Rideshare from that same account until the driver reaches the home boundary and ends the trip. So again they may end the trip before you get all your money. Then what?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have questions about this. What happens if the rider ends the ride after you drop them off? We all know Uber and Lyft are not going to side with the rider. Second if the rider agrees to this they may not be aware that they can not request another Rideshare from that same account until the driver reaches the home boundary and ends the trip. So again they may end the trip before you get all your money. Then what?
I never encountered that so I honestly couldn't answer. If you feel the passenger is not aware of not being able to order another vehicle if needed for however long period of time unil your trip was over should be explained to them, most I had dealt with was aware of this. These are all XL trips that originated in airport and the destination was an island, it was all families, on the wealthy side, on vacation or going secondhomes, not an X passenger off the street looking to scumbag you out of your money or a free trip. I had no problem taking that risk thru the app, because the worst case scenario was I deadhead a little over an hour back and used $6 of gas.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I never encountered that so I honestly couldn't answer. If you feel the passenger is not aware of not being able to order another vehicle if needed for however long period of time unil your trip was over should be explained to them, most I had dealt with was aware of this. These are all XL trips that originated in airport and the destination was an island, it was all families, on the wealthy side, on vacation or going secondhomes, not an X passenger off the street looking to scumbag you out of your money or a free trip. I had no problem taking that risk thru the app, because the worst case scenario was I deadhead a little over an hour back and used $6 of gas.
Are you talking MV or ACK? If so this does not apply. You are still in your home driving area. You can't get paid under those circumstances you need to be somewhere that you can not receive pings like NY where you can not receive pings until you cross the mass border returning. CT was recently just taken offline for other NE drivers is my understanding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Neither sir, You are correct, Connecticut was taken off for NE driver except Western Mass, which can still drive in CT. I was using an example from a different market that I used to drive in regarding the return to boundary.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Neither sir, You are correct, Connecticut was taken off for NE driver except Western Mass, which can still drive in CT. I was using an example from a different market that I used to drive in regarding the return to boundary.
But still nothing prevents the pax from ending the ride after you leave then what do you do? You have no protection. It does not matter if they are your classy upscale XL pax or our low life scumbag X Pax. I think you are a little myopic in thinking that someone ordering an Xl is somehow a better passenger. What about the passenger that goes from Boston to NY because their flight gets cancelled and needs to be in NYC for a business meeting. They get there and have to move about the city and doesn't realizen that ending their trip with you ends your payment to? There are a lot of reasons someone would cancel the ride to be able to request another ride other than being an Uber X scumbag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I stated, it's a risk I willingly took in my market, there was no argument being made to the points you made. It's your decision whether you take the trip or not, if you do it thru the app fully, or what you negotiate or not. Never said there was any protection, it's an option that we have and for me personally it worked when I needed to. I do what works for myself, as that's how we all should be operating . And FYI the people that willingly pay fairly double plus for the same ride on a higher platform, even if it's a single passenger or a party of 2, because they don't want to chance sitting in a POS X car (and don't sit here and tell me there's no questionable vehicles out there on X) typically yes, those are better quality of passengers, to deny that is naive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts