Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ant bait. Send a crap order to multiple drivers and see who can accept it fastest.
People need to get out of the employee mindset. Start being business owners. Pay rates are only going to continue getting worse if they don’t stop chasing all the pretty little lights. We’re shooting for the moon!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
People need to get out of the employee mindset. Start being business owners. Pay rates are only going to continue getting worse if they don’t stop chasing all the pretty little lights. We’re shooting for the moon!
It'd be a lot easier to act like business owners if we could do the things business owners do such as set our own rates and terms, promote and build up our businesses, etc. Unfortunately we're not allowed to do any of those things.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
What the hell's the point? Why not just distribute the orders as usual?
The primary reason for Trip Radar is to make cherrypicking as difficult as possible for the drivers, especially newbies.

California drivers were able to cherrypick effectively in 2020 because they had destination info WITHOUT any TR garbage to get in the way of their cherrypicking. The result was driver pay went UP.

Uber wants driver pay to go DOWN, thus they created TR.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Mostly true, and unfortunately the only tool we have to affect change is for no one to accept low paying jobs. Essentially to strike. Which I think is doable if Uber keeps on the way they’re going. New York and Washington state have stepped up. It’s only a matter of time.
The bottom line is that drivers can't do it on their own, they need govt involvement such as what occurred in Seattle and the rest of Washington State.

·
Premium Member
Duchess of Decline, Splendida Sarcasmus
2,772 Posts
And for the lowest amount of $$$… I’m willing to bet every driver gets a different rate…
This is the curious part. On several occasions, I saw 2 identical pings simultaneously, but at different prices. Both crappy, but the exact same. 3 orders going 18 miles to Smith & Wesson $11.12, and 3 orders going 18 miles to Smith & Wesson for $10.60. In the same screen. Not sure how they work it out later if ants take both.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It’s actually smart of them in their own way. Rather than have people decline one after another, they just throw it out there and wait for Bubblegum Kelly to grab it. She can’t count anyway.
Instacart has used this system forever. They don't have pings. Every driver has a Trip-Radar style list, and you choose the orders that you want to claim.

Shipt uses somewhat of a hybrid. They start out pinging drivers that are on the schedule and if none of the scheduled drivers will accept an order, then the order gets posted to Metro (which is essentially the same thing as Trip Radar). All drivers in an area have the same Metro list (I think).

Roadie is the worst. They also have a Trip-Radar style system, but when you claim a delivery on Roadie they let you know "within 15 minutes" whether or not they will let you have the delivery. At least with Instacart and Shipt, once you claim the order it is yours.

Not sure how they work it out later if ants take both.
Several years ago Uber did an experiment where they would send the same ping out to multiple drivers at the same time. If more than one driver accepted, then the driver that got the restaurant and picked it up first got it. When the second (or third) driver showed up to pick it up, they would be told that the order was already picked up by another driver. Rohit screwed up and actually explained this to me once when I called. Also, at the time, Uber wouldn't pay you anything if the order was picked up by another driver. You only got the $3 consolation prize if the restaurant was closed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, this doesn't make sense. What would happen if all three drivers would show up one after another, and the order would be made after all of them showed up? Who would get it?

Several years ago Uber did an experiment where they would send the same ping out to multiple drivers at the same time. If more than one driver accepted, then the driver that got the restaurant and picked it up first got it. When the second (or third) driver showed up to pick it up, they would be told that the order was already picked up by another driver.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Several years ago Uber did an experiment where they would send the same ping out to multiple drivers at the same time. If more than one driver accepted, then the driver that got the restaurant and picked it up first got it. When the second (or third) driver showed up to pick it up, they would be told that the order was already picked up by another driver. Rohit screwed up and actually explained this to me once when I called. Also, at the time, Uber wouldn't pay you anything if the order was picked up by another driver. You only got the $3 consolation prize if the restaurant was closed.
I'm pretty sure they still do this. I get pings that were already picked up when I get there. I've even asked the merchant if they verified if the driver was the correct one and they say yes (usually by seeing the delivery card). It doesn't happen frequently, but enough to be a nuisance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts