Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"As part of the settlement agreement, Uber is clarifying, but not rectifying tipping for drivers. While its competitor Lyft has tipping built in, Uber is arguing that adding tips would lead to bias from riders to drivers. In addition, it could incentivize drivers to "spend more time where tips are likely to be highest - typically the wealthiest neighborhoods" and not service the whole town."

"None of these arguments negate the fact that riders are allowed to do this anyways by just tipping cash. If drivers are looking for cash tips, they might be going to these neighborhoods anyways. As CNN's Ethan Wolff-Mann writes, the company is focusing more on user growth than finding a way to take care of its drivers:

But citing racism for not adding a tip-screen, when the company has already acknowledged that gratuity is not included, is a transparent ploy to focus less on the drivers, and more on its endgame of user growth. Adding a tipping screen would undoubtedly increase tips-which users wouldn't have an outward problem with-but it would creep into the consumer's mind that an Uber trip isn't quite so cheap as advertised, raising the barrier for consumers to use it."

Ya gotta love the Uber mentality. They will jump through more hoops than a trained dolphin to find a way to keep screwing drivers even a little bit. If they worked this hard to make this a profitable venture for all involved they'd probably take over the world and Travis would be president.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-says-tip-button-cause-180623307.html

· Registered
79 Posts
"As part of the settlement agreement, Uber is clarifying, but not rectifying tipping for drivers. While its competitor Lyft has tipping built in, Uber is arguing that adding tips would lead to bias from riders to drivers. In addition, it could incentivize drivers to "spend more time where tips are likely to be highest - typically the wealthiest neighborhoods" and not service the whole town."

"None of these arguments negate the fact that riders are allowed to do this anyways by just tipping cash. If drivers are looking for cash tips, they might be going to these neighborhoods anyways. As CNN's Ethan Wolff-Mann writes, the company is focusing more on user growth than finding a way to take care of its drivers:

But citing racism for not adding a tip-screen, when the company has already acknowledged that gratuity is not included, is a transparent ploy to focus less on the drivers, and more on its endgame of user growth. Adding a tipping screen would undoubtedly increase tips-which users wouldn't have an outward problem with-but it would creep into the consumer's mind that an Uber trip isn't quite so cheap as advertised, raising the barrier for consumers to use it."

Ya gotta love the Uber mentality. They will jump through more hoops than a trained dolphin to find a way to keep screwing drivers even a little bit. If they worked this hard to make this a profitable venture for all involved they'd probably take over the world and Travis would be president.

This Klanick guy is a disgrace to society.

· Banned
53 Posts

Racist Pax are going to be Racist. How about the rating system? Will Travis remove that as well.?

From personal experience. I am from Middle East, when I first started, I used my actual name which is in Arabic. By the end of 6 or 7th month, my ratings were down to 4.71, back then I even used to offer free water bottles to paxs.

Later, I changed my name in Uber app. I used an American name. After some time I noticed My ratings started going back up again. Even after I stopped offering water. My current rating is 4.9.

Plus I drive a 11 yr old car with a cassette player.

I bet most drivers who use a foreign name, gets lots of cancellations from paxs and bet they also have low ratings.

If you are a foreigner and use your real name, what is your rating?

· Premium Member
26,819 Posts
If you consider how Uber handles the tip function on Uber Taxi, you will know that this latest piece of propaganda is nothing more than a feeble attempt to use the race card to continue their anti-tipping campaign.

Uber invites new users to enter a percentage or amount that they want to tip on Uber Taxi, even if Uber does not offer taxis in their market. Once you set the Uber Taxi tip, you can change it, but you can not change it once you have requested a ride. If you do nothing, it defaults to twenty per cent.

Thus, if User A has left the Uber Taxi tip setting at the default twenty per cent, when User A travels, say to Washington, and, requests Uber Taxi, the application will add the twenty per-cent tip to the metered fare that the driver keys in at the end of the trip. User A submits his order, the application assigns a driver to him. The applications shows him who his driver is, let us say that in this case, the application assigns him a driver named Anjit. Whatever User A might think of South Asians, he can not change the tip setting just because he does not like South Asians. Assuming that he does not cancel and does ride in Anjit's cab, Anjit will receive the fare that he keys in plus the twenty per cent tip that User A selected. Uber will receive its two dollar User Fee from User A.

There is no way that an Uber user can order an Uber Taxi, see that his driver's name is Yusuf and lower the tip from twenty per cent to zero. He could cancel, lower the tip to zero and re-submit the order, but, once he sees that his driver's name is Andrew, he can not put it back up to twenty per-cent, either.

If Uber offered a tip option on UberX, in most cases, the users would set the tip amount/per-centage then leave it there and forget about it. That is what they do on Uber Taxi.

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you consider how Uber handles the tip function on Uber Taxi, you will know that this latest piece of propaganda is nothing more than a feeble attempt to use the race card to continue their anti-tipping campaign.

Uber invites new users to enter a percentage or amount that they want to tip on Uber Taxi, even if Uber does not offer taxis in their market. Once you set the Uber Taxi tip, you can change it, but you can not change it once you have requested a ride. If you do nothing, it defaults to twenty per cent.

Thus, if User A has left the Uber Taxi tip setting at the default twenty per cent, when User A travels, say to Washington, and, requests Uber Taxi, the application will add the twenty per-cent tip to the metered fare that the driver keys in at the end of the trip. User A submits his order, the application assigns a driver to him. The applications shows him who his driver is, let us say that in this case, the application assigns him a driver named Anjit. Whatever User A might think of South Asians, he can not change the tip setting just because he does not like South Asians. Assuming that he does not cancel and does ride in Anjit's cab, Anjit will receive the fare that he keys in plus the twenty per cent tip that User A selected. Uber will receive its two dollar User Fee from User A.

There is no way that an Uber user can order an Uber Taxi, see that his driver's name is Yusuf and lower the tip from twenty per cent to zero. He could cancel, lower the tip to zero and re-submit the order, but, once he sees that his driver's name is Andrew, he can not put it back up to twenty per-cent, either.

If Uber offered a tip option on UberX, in most cases, the users would set the tip amount/per-centage then leave it there and forget about it. That is what they do on Uber Taxi.
See now you're making a mistake. Its fine. Happens all the time. What you're forgetting is Travis doesn't WANT to do anything that might put a little more money in a drivers pocket. Every policy is painstakingly handcrafted by Uber artisans to take money OUT of drivers pockets. This would in fact do the opposite of that so it must be fought against tooth and nail until a court FORCES this. Its understandable how you might be confused. Uber spends a lot of time telling people drivers are "partners" *chuckle*.

· Registered
268 Posts
I have had a fair amount of pax tell me they thought a tip was automatically added in at the end of an UberX ride because they selected an UberTaxi tip percentage when they setup their rider account. Since many if not most markets don't have UberTaxi the riders don't know what that is and are understandably confused.

It's all about keeping the fare the lowest, even if it means telling untruths to pax like "no need to tip, it's included" to outright tricking them into thinking a percentage is being added on after the ride by not being clear about the differences between the regular Uber platforms and UberTaxi.

· Registered
767 Posts
Hey Travis, your a funny f*** because unlike what you said, I find affluent neighborhoods are where I get "the least" amount of tips (ask your neighbors as they'll confirm this). By this metric I'm a full blown racist against anyone who isn't a "blue coller worker" I guess.

When the day comes that you've pissed off all your drivers (the backbone of your company by the way), I hope you don't truly believe a few kiss a** emails and surveys about my day will work...

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about other levels of uber but I do know that wealthy people that take uber x not only don't tip but pick up the pennies off the back seat that others leave behind. Much more likely to receive a tip from a not so wealthy pax.
This has been my experience.

· Registered
2,334 Posts

Interesting.......
So, the Software Engineers have implemented the tip function into the app, it's just only accessible on Uber Taxi setting

I think Travis Kalanick is starting to sound like Tom Smykowski:

· Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Yeah well...it could also be pretty racist to go into lower-income neighborhoods and push shady car loans on people promising them the moon and taking every cent they "make". We'll leave that alone, though.

· Premium Member
26,819 Posts
Every policy is painstakingly handcrafted by Uber artisans to take money OUT of drivers pockets. This would in fact do the opposite of that so it must be fought against tooth and nail until a court FORCES this.
...........and even if a court tells him to do something, he just ignores it and dares anyone to do anything about it................

it means telling untruths to pax like "no need to tip, it's included" to outright tricking them into thinking a percentage is being added on after the ride by not being clear about the differences between the regular Uber platforms and UberTaxi.
The public reads or hears "Uber Taxi" and thinks that it is Uber Black, UberX, Uber Select or whatever. They fail to understand that Uber Taxi, if offered in your market, renders unto you a taxi.

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The public reads or hears "Uber Taxi" and thinks that it is Uber Black, UberX, Uber Select or whatever. They fail to understand that Uber Taxi, if offered in your market, renders unto you a taxi.
When the public thinks of Uber they generally don't consider the variety of options and the significance of the differences. Once they see "Uber" all most probably think is, "Oh! Dirt cheap ride and no need to tip!"

Gonna take some time off soon and when I do I'm going to spend a day or so Ubering around town just to get a pax perspective and see what the state of the service is in my area after these rate cuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.