Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you use one? If so, are you happy with it and does it actually record the interior of the vehicle while you drive around or is it pretty much pitch black?
I have the transcend drive pro 520. It's so-so at night if you're not somewhere with decent ambient light. I'm looking into getting an IR LED somehow to increase back-seat visibility.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This case reeks.
A speeding cop hits his car ,yet claims the UBER Driver ran a red light. The UBER Driver says it was Green.
My x wife got hit while sitting still at a traffic light by a Detective. They did their best to come up with a way to blame her.
I believe the UBER Driver.
Morale support is nice but doesn't really help this driver if uber and James River don't step up this drivers life is ruined FACT!

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
This case reeks.
A speeding cop hits his car ,yet claims the UBER Driver ran a red light. The UBER Driver says it was Green.
My x wife got hit while sitting still at a traffic light by a Detective. They did their best to come up with a way to blame her.
I believe the UBER Driver.
I watched the news video and read the article. FHP investigators (Seminole County Sheriff's Dept. didn't run the investigation into one of their own) determined from two separate surveillance cameras that the Uber driver ran a red light.

True, the deputy admitted to speeding, but once the court ruled, he was dropped from the lawsuit. No mention of any reprimand from his department for speeding without emergency lights and siren while answering a call.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
The article says that the ruling was based upon surveilance Video so I doubt a dashcam would help this guy out.
Yep, his dashcam, if he had one, would show him running the light. I've got one, and it could be a two-edged sword.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Morale support is nice but doesn't really help this driver if uber and James River don't step up this drivers life is ruined FACT!
The article mentions a wrongful death suit against both drivers, (the deputy has been dropped following the court case) but says nothing about suing Uber. Hard to imagine that a lawyer wouldn't be going after the deep pockets on this one. Maybe it's a legal strategy; win against the driver first and then go after his insurer. Even harder to picture Uber/JR being able to avoid financial responsibility on this one.

I have no idea how JR's policy reads, but my personal policies state that the carrier will defend against any lawsuit arising out of an accident involving the operation of a covered vehicle or driver.

The driver in this case has been fined $1000.00 and had his license suspended for six months. If he was driving Uber for extra money, one can only wonder how he would be able to pay a lawyer to defend him in this lawsuit. He's 73 years old, for Heaven's sake!:oops::(

A cautionary tale for all rideshare drivers, to be sure.o_O

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the transcend drive pro 520. It's so-so at night if you're not somewhere with decent ambient light. I'm looking into getting an IR LED somehow to increase back-seat visibility.
Thanks for the reply. It took me a while to reply since I had to head out earlier to buy a new laptop. My previous one broke down when I spit my drink all over it after seeing the price of the Transcend Pro. $200? Dollars or pesos? Reviews make it sound ok but, and forgive me if I mentioned this, $200? Wow. Are you a professional driver or have a higher average of wackos in your area than the national average?

·
Premium Member
59,802 Posts
The article says that the ruling was based upon surveilance Video so I doubt a dashcam would help this guy out.
It also states the surveillance video did not substantiate the light.
( the officer also had a non police passenger in the car at the time of the wreck . an UN needed distraction to his duties)
And, the police video was damaged by the wreck. . . believe that ?

·
Premium Member
59,802 Posts
The article mentions a wrongful death suit against both drivers, (the deputy has been dropped following the court case) but says nothing about suing Uber. Hard to imagine that a lawyer wouldn't be going after the deep pockets on this one. Maybe it's a legal strategy; win against the driver first and then go after his insurer. Even harder to picture Uber/JR being able to avoid financial responsibility on this one.

I have no idea how JR's policy reads, but my personal policies state that the carrier will defend against any lawsuit arising out of an accident involving the operation of a covered vehicle or driver.

The driver in this case has been fined $1000.00 and had his license suspended for six months. If he was driving Uber for extra money, one can only wonder how he would be able to pay a lawyer to defend him in this lawsuit. He's 73 years old, for Heaven's sake!:oops::(

A cautionary tale for all rideshare drivers, to be sure.o_O
73 !?!?
Throw me in prison and call me pops. Beats the nursing home.

·
Premium Member
59,802 Posts
I watched the news video and read the article. FHP investigators (Seminole County Sheriff's Dept. didn't run the investigation into one of their own) determined from two separate surveillance cameras that the Uber driver ran a red light.

True, the deputy admitted to speeding, but once the court ruled, he was dropped from the lawsuit. No mention of any reprimand from his department for speeding without emergency lights and siren while answering a call.
Do emergency vehicles in that jurisdiction have traffic light " "preemtion devices"? Some police take advantage of these devices for non emergencies. It would be interesting to know. His lawyer should have covered this. I would have.
There are devices for this,and then there are devices sold under other titles that will do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59,802 Posts
There are some traffic lights I can manipulate with high beams or interior lights,or a combination.
I would appeal the case on grounds of traffic light manipulation and malfunction of signaling caused by the manipulation. It is quite possible the light was Green for both momentarily. Due to the high rate of speed of the approaching officer.
( these lights and devices have been around and installed since at least 1992 when I went to E.M.T. school)

·
Premium Member
59,802 Posts
Yup. They've got it,AND they're hiring.( someone got fired?)(cover-up?)
I smell a rat.
Get a real lawyer. APPEAL,SUE THE COUNTY.
James River Insurance should investigate this.( too many bumps in the rug to lay down on this one !)
Find out who is being replaced.
They burying him hoping to distance from the truth.
I can build an appeals case from 10 minutes of research. This old guy needs a TV lawyer to sue the county.
No cost. Best defense is a good offense.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts