Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
9,891 Posts
So, while we don't know exactly what the riders are paying, unless we ask, Lyft is screwing us all. Out of the people I have asked, Lyft is taking 55-75% of each fare.

I started tracking "actual" versus "rate card" (which are still bs rates). Took out the bonus/surge rate and tips from the total paid for each ride, because you can't get an accurate figure with those in there.

Out of 83 rides so far Lyft has shorted me $42. This includes what I made above the rate card rates. While not a huge amount averaged per ride, you know they are doing this to every driver, which amounts to a lot over the course of a day.

Started looking for a W2 job. I can't keep going giving 15 rides/day, making $150/day and spending $40 of that on gas. While Lyft is charging riders 3-4 times what we are receiving.
In addition to setting the pay rates the govt needs to CAP the percentage of the gross revenue of each ride Uber and Lyft can grab. That's the only way to put a stop to this money-grabbing.

· Premium Member
9,891 Posts
Until drivers start demanding change, it's never going to happen. In years past we tried to organize in Atlanta to protest, which happened with little success, because there were those that capitalized on the protest and continued driving hoping for surge. Unless and until we could get at least 80% of drivers to join in the fight, nothing is going to happen. It would need to be a centralized effort of everyone involved. Drivers don't go to their state and federal legislators to complain enough either.

I have been driving on and off for almost 9 years. Started back full time a few months ago, hoping I could make the money I was a few years ago. It's definitely not like it was. As soon as I find a full time position, I'm done. This upfront fare BS has changed the game for the worse.
You're never going to get enough drivers to disrupt the company. The good news is you don't need a lot of drivers to strike. All you need is to get the attention of the media and the politicians.

A small strike in 2019 in CA was a catalyst for AB5.

· Premium Member
9,891 Posts
:LOL: That’s why I won’t be participating in any of those stupid demonstrations. There will never be reform until we stop inviting 5 million new immigrants into the country every year who can’t do math and think because they make $2 a day back in Tegucigalpa that $7 for a 20 mile trip is lucrative. Lyft and Uber don’t need you because they have millions of indentured servants to do their dirty work for them and soon they won’t even need those guys. They will have driverless cars and pax will laugh while unemployed former Uber drivers who had their cars repossessed are ran over as pedestrians by the new autonomous fleet of cars taking them to their destination
No one has discussed the immigration problem more than I have on this website over the years. I've discussed it a zillion times and have repeatedly pointed out that perpetually high rates of Third World immigration has been Uber's ultimate weapon because it's always been a reliable source of fresh bodies to replace the 98% of drivers who quit every year.

Given the high immigration rates the ONLY hope drivers have for major reform is GOVT REGULATION.

When the govt implements regulations the gig companies must abide by those regulations REGARDLESS of immigration rates.

Washington state passed new regulations in May that will take effect in January. Driver pay rates will be regulated by the state. An appeals board will be created for drivers to appeal wrongful terminations. Other benefits including paid sick leave will be part of the new laws.

The new pay rates for Washington State drivers will be $3.00 base fare/ $1.17 per mile/ $0.34 per minute

Seattle drivers will be paid $5.17 base fare/ $1.38 per mile/ $0.58 per minute

Seattle's per minute rate will be the highest in the US, even higher than NYC.

· Premium Member
9,891 Posts
"...perpetually high rates of Third World immigration..."
It's kind of like Lord of the Flies: Hoping the group that created the cause of the problems (immigration) will fix the outcome of the problems (labor imbalance) by using the same failed logic results in greater disaster.
The govt has played a major role in the drivers' plight with their immigration policies. But only the govt has the power to put a stop to the exploitation of drivers. The drivers can't do it themselves.

So yes, the entity (the govt) that helped cause the problems is the entity drivers will need to fix those problems. It's the only hope the drivers have.

I should add that the federal govt is the entity that helped cause the problems but most likely it will be the state govts that fix it.

· Premium Member
9,891 Posts
From the perspective I want to personally stay free of politics, the largest UP member complaint is poor pay, driven by ants, which is due to government sanctioned illegal immigration. The government has no desire to reverse immigration, so by extension the outcome will not reverse.

As you correctly state the issue lies at the Federal level, and some States are trying to fix the problem, but will most likely not. The children of the illegals are anchors, "citizens by default" (in all but a few rare cases), so even if/when States eventually purge the workforce of illegals their children will refill it.

Note I'm not making a value judgement, rather examining cause-effect.

On-topic, if members find this sheet is useful for record keeping and would like things modified/enhanced, either the author @DMCK or possibly myself may be able to assist (though I do not speak for @DMCK nor would I make modifications he does not approve of).
I disagree about the illegal immigrant part. Unless someone has credible evidence to prove otherwise (and so far no one has presented any), I have no doubt that the vast majority of immigrant drivers are LEGAL immigrants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts