Uber Drivers Forum banner

Totally new, driving in suburbs question

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Greenghost2212 
#1 ·
Hey there.

I just signed up for Uber as a driver and got an email that I'm approved, can download the app and start driving. But then under that it says I have to do all this other stuff for Chicago. I live near Joliet so I plan on at least starting picking up riders in the burbs. Do I or do I not have to get all the other Chicago stuff? It was unclear.

#17 ·
Yes you need to be in compliance with the city's Rideshare ordinance if you drive in the city period. Chances are if you're not an idiot and don't do stupid shit that gets you pulled over no one will ever know with the exception of the airports because all bets are off. The best advice anyone can give you is don't start driving for uber!

#7 ·
You need to get your city emblem (the document from the City of Chicago with your pic on it) which will be e-mailed to you. That has to be displayed on your dashboard. Once you have that you also need your trade dress (a TNP decal with the plane image and Uber decal). These can be picked up at the Green Light Centers in Chicago but can also be temporarily downloaded from Uber's site. Technically, you are required to have these things when driving anywhere in the region (including burbs). It is most heavily enforced in the city and particularly at the Airports, McCormick Place & Navy Pier. The fines are steep if written up without them.

#10 ·
You need to get your city emblem (the document from the City of Chicago with your pic on it) which will be e-mailed to you. That has to be displayed on your dashboard. Once you have that you also need your trade dress (a TNP decal with the plane image and Uber decal). These can be picked up at the Green Light Centers in Chicago but can also be temporarily downloaded from Uber's site. Technically, you are required to have these things when driving anywhere in the region (including burbs). It is most heavily enforced in the city and particularly at the Airports, McCormick Place & Navy Pier. The fines are steep if written up without them.
Really?? I thought the TNP sign was only needed for the airports, Navy Pier, and McCormick.

#11 ·
You may be right but that isn't 100% clear as I have seen inconsistent instructions from Uber on that. I use removable decals as i don't want all my trade dress on my car when I go to my day job and usually don't put out the TNP when i drive suburban on destination filter to work. But I did read in one Uber post that it is required in the city (and yet on others just at the locations you mentioned). I doubt it would be enforced elsewhere but if I'm driving in the city I don't chance it and just make sure it's on. The Uber decal is more clear and needed all the time.

#16 ·
If you want to get your signage a bit quicker than the mail, you can request temporary printable ones by logging in and going to the help section called "Sign Up to Drive," then "Local Document Requirements" under "Document Requirements," scroll down and there should be a link that says "Document Requirements." On that page, you want any of the links that say "Click to Request."

Sorry, lots of steps, but I'm evidently too new here to post a link...

I got mine in a day or two, but I think the City of Chicago Emblem with your picture that goes up front by your Uber sign gets emailed separately. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.