Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, this keeps happening!

Someone decides, "Cool, aux cable! I could use one of those!" and tries to steal it. Because it's connected inside my center console, it and the charging cables are impossible to steal. So the usual result? Torn cable. I caught a guy once, that tine it was the iPhone charging cable.

"Can I take this?" I look back, and the guy is furiously tugging on the charging cable while exiting the vehicle. "No, you can't take it. It's there for my customers!" "But I'm a customer!!!" "Sir, it's for my customers to use while in the vehicle, like you did on this ride". "But I need one for my house!" "I recommend you purchase one, sir". Profanities ensue.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off just keeping the broken cable and when people ask just say "Sorry, someone broke it tonight" and show it to them. And just do that every night from now on. No more bad music, no more radio so loud I can't hear myself think.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Keep the broken cable.
When i was a smoker i used carry two packs of cigarettes with me at night clubs. One full with smokes and one with just a single cig in it . I was tired of handing out smokes to freeloaders.
So whenever someone asked for one i'd show them the pack with si gle cig in it to shut them up. Noone bothered to insist after seeing that pack

·
Registered
251 Posts

Someone decides, "Cool, aux cable! I could use one of those!" and tries to steal it. Because it's connected inside my center console, it and the charging cables are impossible to steal. So the usual result? Torn cable. I caught a guy once, that tine it was the iPhone charging cable.

"Can I take this?" I look back, and the guy is furiously tugging on the charging cable while exiting the vehicle. "No, you can't take it. It's there for my customers!" "But I'm a customer!!!" "Sir, it's for my customers to use while in the vehicle, like you did on this ride". "But I need one for my house!" "I recommend you purchase one, sir". Profanities ensue.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off just keeping the broken cable and when people ask just say "Sorry, someone broke it tonight" and show it to them. And just do that every night from now on. No more bad music, no more radio so loud I can't hear myself think.
I can't never find my AuxCord ,but it magically appears when it's surging at least 2x.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Yes everyone is better without it. Just gives pax another way to try and control us.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pax are pigs! Found a Monster aux cord on sale, never a problem since. I agree with the surge requirement. Always have the disclaimer to the group of Pax that if their music sucks you have the right to fire them from DJ duty.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Wow... What a piece a work that guy was? In nearly 800 rides, I've NEVER had someone try to steal any cables or anything at all of mine. I always ofer the AUX cord and usually the younger riders take it. I just always have to remember to grab the Cable from the floor as they drop it after use as it can get stepped on while on the floor in the back seat area.

This is in core LA, where was your sticky fingered PAX?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why drivers think they need to offer all these 'benefits' are beyond me.

I have no aux cord. I listen to what I want to (at a respectable volume). Never had a customer ask or mention it before.
All we "need" to offer is transportation. But I enjoy offering bottled water, phone charging, the AUX cord, gum, and I open/close doors for everyone. It makes me happy to be of service to people. It's nice when I make someone's day by doing something different for them they don't normally recieve. It makes the ride MUCH better for both of us and it's also generated tips (which is just a bonus and not the reason) I liked to think that people use Uber to have a cost effective ride, meeting new people in their community over good conversation, while getting extras they would never recieve from some not very friendly cab drivers... Some people really enjoy this line of work while others just do it out of necessity. Some both!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone asking me for an aux cord gets a 1-star. The sheer effrontery of it is breathtaking. For me it's the same as going into Ralphs and asking them to play your music over the PA while you shop.
Ah man.. That's a bit harsh isn't it? No wonder some of my riders are puzzled when they have a low rating... Nobody rents out a grocery store but people are renting space in our vehicles for short periods of time. Everyone's definition of "ride sharing" is different but I like to share as much as the vehicle as I can for a rider. Makes the ride fun and positive and sometimes we all karaoke in the car :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts