Uber Drivers Forum banner

What wouod you do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bike messenger for uber in LA , the ubereats app is not built for bikes really , they give any distance , any order , its just luck , i dont mind , but sometimes it surprise me with drinks ,some order there is no way you can make it ,
So last night , around 11 , i went to pick from five guys fast food restrauant , i arrived , the order is massive and its 3 miles away from midwilshire to culver city , the restaurant just closed , so i have to deliver it or cancel keep the food , the problem it was 2 shakes ,2 drinks , 4 burgers with fries , me i only have my basket and my small backpack , i called uber support they say , you have to deliver it since you accepted it , there is nothing we can do for you , then i told , ok i will take an uber to deliver it , they said ah good idea , i thought they gonna give me some kind of discount atleast for the ride , but no , they just said we appreciate your help and hard work ,
So then i ordered an uber it cost me 6 $ to deliver it and 6 $to come back to my bike where i locked it , i should have never accepeted it lol cus nobody wanted to pick it up , i did , so its pure luck with a bike , they guy whom i delivered to tipped me 2$ and the delivery way 4$ so i made 6$ i spent 13$ , i have so many stories that i can share while doing this gig , i have stories with cops etc tune back lol LA is crazy

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
When I started I rarely got loose fountain drinks. I've gotten more lately, particularly with 5 Guys. I never heard of 5 Guys until a week ago when I started biking again after a month of deep freeze hiatus here. I've picked up several from them now. Basically a hamburger and fries place, but definitely a step up from McDonald's. The staff reminds me of the old 'Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger' Saturday Night Live sketch with Belushi and Aykroyd, right down to the accents. Didn't they have the molded cardboard tray holder? I have no basket or panniers, the downtown Minneapolis homie packs here would steal them while was in the restaurant (sorry to the politically correct). I can put a tray of drinks at the bottom of my black zipper bag I hang from the handle bar, though. 5 Guys actually have nicer pressed cardboard drink racks then most, they look smoother. The worst is McDonald's thin cardboard tray you unfold. They are so cheap I've gotten resistance sometimes from them from asking for a rack on a one or two fountain drink order. Dulono's pizza downtown is notorious for handing you loose fountain drinks in flimsy cups, then getting indignant when you ask for a container as they have nothing. I've used saran wrap or a small box in a pinch with Dulono's if I don't have a drink rack with me. Worst case scenario with one drink is just holding it at the handlebars and basically riding one handed. Personally I think I should be expected to provide service comparable to a car, although loose drinks can make that a challenge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Never ever pay Uber to complete a delivery. You’re already paying them with your bike, car and soul.

Cancel the order on arrival next time, restaurant closed be damned.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 miles is not too bad. Thats about bicycling range limit. Usually baskets are big enough for an order that size, especially since you had a backpack for some of it. I have often thought I wished I had a basket instead of panniers because it is open at the top. Rubber bands for drink lids are helpful. Drinks are a challenge for sure, on a bicycle.

Don't get me wrong-I would not want that order. But I think I would have just slung them over the bar if I didnt have room somewhere and risk spilling them before spending $12 on an uber.
The $5.99 insulated bag you posted. I bought one. It actually is 8" in diameter, not 9"; I measured it. But it is flexible, so it can stretch out to accommodate a 9" round plate. If you have that bag, and hanging it over the handlebar really is actually maximum efficiency because it keeps it level, you are doing all that Uber could ask of you.

and getting a workout. that is the best part of Ubereats on a bicycle. they are paying for my exercise. Not enough, really, but still. If we could just get those cheap people to tip!
Cheap people haha

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did 5guys (cringe) prepare the soft drinks or did you?
They did

I used pool ,but still aint cheap

Yeah dude , you can do it on your bike, but recently they stopped accepting people for complaints , i wish it will last

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
They did

I used pool ,but still aint cheap

Yeah dude , you can do it on your bike, but recently they stopped accepting people for complaints , i wish it will last
Oh good. Maybe 5 guys is finally stepping up? (Holds back snickers of doubtful laughter)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts