Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been in Uber office twice last couple of weeks, and noticed huge line up to sign up as driver. I had to wait 1 hour 20 minutes in line. Seems like many people, old or young signing up with Uber.

Also notice last couple of days very few pings, have to wait 30 minutes to get a ping, which is very weird.
So i guess too many driver but not enough customer in Toronto.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not really. I notice pings are pretty consistent. Depending on the time and area. You just need to know the city well

For example. Rogers cup at york u this weekend was nonstop pings.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Allot of people signing up doesn't mean they'll all be approved. And even then, quite a few will drop out or be deactivated because they're just not suitable for this line of work.

Reactions: Noobler

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Reactions: T.O. Driver

·
Registered
805 Posts
Allot of people signing up doesn't mean they'll all be approved. And even then, quite a few will drop out or be deactivated because they're just not suitable for this line of work.
Yup and add those who quit after getting too few pings themselves thier first night/day out. Or those who get a repair bill early in the game.

Very high turnover.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Yep you will find for the next little while it to be oversaturated. But then it will quiet down when most figure out Uber is not the crazy cash that was promised. Others will get deactivated once they screw up enough. Uber is very good at getting people on and throwing them to the wolves. Whoever is left they move on to drive just long enough to realize it's not as lucrative. Then who's left of them will realize the cost to their car. Then they drop off. Then all you got left is 1 in 20 who still find a way to make this work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm finding Hamilton - even without the surge - to be worth it, due to proximity to my house, fewer but longer trips, easier driving in less bumper to bumper traffic, one way streets makes for less stops and better overall ride for passengers for higher ratings. Plus the folks are REALLY glad UberX is an option there now... so easier to please... less snark in general.

Plus more blue collar folks and fewer hipsters = more tips. :)

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I'm finding Hamilton - even without the surge - to be worth it, due to proximity to my house, fewer but longer trips, easier driving in less bumper to bumper traffic, one way streets makes for less stops and better overall ride for passengers for higher ratings. Plus the folks are REALLY glad UberX is an option there now... so easier to please... less snark in general.

Plus more blue collar folks and fewer hipsters = more tips. :)
It was like that in Toronto. Now most here look at the service as it's their right to have Uber. Most are happy but some are just looking at it as a cheep taxi service and not people in their own cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually still get alot of pings. Maybe it's just the area.

I usually don't have to wait for more then 5min a Ling around the markham area. I druve 9pm-1am usually

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I actually still get alot of pings. Maybe it's just the area.

I usually don't have to wait for more then 5min a Ling around the markham area. I druve 9pm-1am usually
Yep it gets it's up's and downs. But it is getting quiet with more cars out. Especially in North York.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Man today I got "stuck" in Markham for a few hours doing midget rides. I say "stuck" cause i couldda just driven to another area biting the dead km's, but kept holding out for a long ride out of Markham, which I did eventually get.

The pings are there all over the city still, but more often they are midget rides these days.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Yeah, cause it rained like cats and dogs. Those are the best days for Ubering. I'm hoping for same today as well.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Yeah, cause it rained like cats and dogs. Those are the best days for Ubering. I'm hoping for same today as well.
Bad weather is every Über driver's best friend.

I expect that business should pick up a bit come winter.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Bad weather is every Über driver's best friend.

I expect that business should pick up a bit come winter.
Yep. That's when some drivers either can't or wont get winter tires and will be shut down for the winter. Last year there was a spike in rides when that rule came into effect.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Yep. That's when some drivers either can't or wont get winter tires and will be shut down for the winter. Last year there was a spike in rides when that rule came into effect.
Winter Tire rule?? I wasn't aware of that ... Please expand

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
You will need to have winter tires on your car by November 20th or face deactivation for the winter. You will need to prove they were installed by a local Mechanic.

Same rules Taxi's in Ontario need to live by.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Winter tires are mandatory to drive your vehicle for Uber in winter season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a long time driver, I really surprised that this is not law in the province for all cars, for that matter... for the number of accidents you see every time it snows. AWD and proper snow tires will get you moving nicely in the right direction, and the tires will get you stopped much better in their right conditions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts