Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happens every now and then.. you accept a trip that says 4mins away. After accepting you realise that you need to go through a toll road to pick up the rider otherwise it'll be 10+ minutes.

Do you cancel or just take the loss?

I got two like this today. I was in Artarmon and got a request in Cremorne. I had to take the military road exit toll and the trip was only $6.80 excluding toll!

Then my last trip in Bankstown area I had to go through another toll also for a min fare trip.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Its been rare for me, but the only time I took an unpaid toll was from North Sydney for a CBD pickup.

That was after confirming the destination and making sure the pax is ok to wait. It was on 2x surge also and the drop off was Manly. That was worth the $2.50 toll.

Otherwise I'll make sure to use "avoid tolls" option for pick ups. Either they wait or they can cancel.

One Saturday in December when it was busy, I kept getting CBD pings when I was in Lane Cove and Chatswood. I was hoping for something local on the way home then missed 3 and got booted offline!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its been rare for me, but the only time I took an unpaid toll was from North Sydney for a CBD pickup.

That was after confirming the destination and making sure the pax is ok to wait. It was on 2x surge also and the drop off was Manly. That was worth the $2.50 toll.

Otherwise I'll make sure to use "avoid tolls" option for pick ups. Either they wait or they can cancel.

One Saturday in December when it was busy, I kept getting CBD pings when I was in Lane Cove and Chatswood. I was hoping for something local on the way home then missed 3 and got booted offline!
Yeah it tends to happen when there is a shortage of drivers. I do lots of driving on the north shore and will often get requests from pax in circular quay but can be as far as Balmain. I learned my lesson after driving across bridge through toll (can cost up to $4) and then they cancelled before I got there and then got stuck in traffic for ages. Not fun

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Better still, next time if I get a pick up like this I'll ask them if they agree to start the trip immediately. That means more KM for me and toll is paid by them. If they don't agree, ask to cancel and move on.
Why would anyone in his right mind agree to that? Immediate email to Uber if I ever had a driver ask me something ridiculous like that.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I that case there was no need to take the toll. Just run down to the Alfred Street exit and come back up to Military Road or use Kurraba Road. Again...too much dependancy on Nav software.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It happens every now and then.. you accept a trip that says 4mins away. After accepting you realise that you need to go through a toll road to pick up the rider otherwise it'll be 10+ minutes.

Do you cancel or just take the loss?

I got two like this today. I was in Artarmon and got a request in Cremorne. I had to take the military road exit toll and the trip was only $6.80 excluding toll!

Then my last trip in Bankstown area I had to go through another toll also for a min fare trip.
I will cancel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use a Tom Tom which will give me the option of using a toll road or not every time where applicable, which is handy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I that case there was no need to take the toll. Just run down to the Alfred Street exit and come back up to Military Road or use Kurraba Road. Again...too much dependancy on Nav software.
No need to assume I am too dependent on Google Maps. I am very familiar with this route, going that way would have added a lot more time to the pick up because of where he was as well as several more kilometres.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every time you cancel you are knocking back the chance of a decent fare or money in your pocket. You may not make much but it could cover the costs of driving around for the next 30 minutes or so.
I don't drive around for 30 mimutes ever. Is that what you do in between trips?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts