Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering being an uber driver. But three things make me hesitate.

1. The paperwork and compliance issues with GST etc. But since discovering partnerpeople, this is no longer an issue.

2. The current illegality. Easy enough to get hire care accreditation but there remains a significant danger of huge fines from driving a vehicle not registered as a hire car. $40k is just too much. If it was $10k or less, I would consider it and maybe eventually it will come down after they finish all these inquiries. But as it stands, do I want to risk the possible fines? Maybe if it wasn't for...

3. Insurance. This is the big one. If it wasn't for this, I would probably give it a shot, above paragraph notwithstanding. Currently I pay around $400 per year for full comprehensive for a 2 month old car ($2000 excess). But it's certainly not covered for taxi like services. From what I've read here and elsewhere, insurance is almost impossible to get without paying over $2000 a year and even then it's a bit questionable as they still could in theory deny coverage for an illegal service.

I could drive with my current insurance and probably get away with it for minor bingles. But in a major accident involving multiple serious injuries and significant property damage, I'm sure my insurance company would look a little closer and find out I was ubering and immediately deny coverage. Then my sole hope of avoiding bankruptcy lies with Uber's assurance that they will cover me in the event my insurance doesn't. I'm not sanguine about this. What if I have an accident on the way to pick up a rider for example? Or what if I have an accident while not signed in and working? My insurance can deny coverage but I have doubts that Uber would pick up the tab.

If my car is wiped out, I can live with that. But the prospect of my CTP and third party property damage being nullified and being left with potentially millions of dollars in bills is too scary a prospect even if the chances are very low. I have significant assets and to lose everything is more than my life is worth.

As things stand, Uber looks like a fantastic opportunity for those comfortable with the risk and consequences. The risk is very small but if your number comes up, the consequences are too awful to contemplate. Until an insurance company is prepared to offer coverage in writing, for uber drivers, acknowledging it's potential illegality, uber driving is a terrifying risk.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Key notes I took from your message was;

2 Month old car, in most cases this will have finance owing on it. I'm not divulging into your finances but if this is the case. A wreck of your car and someone else's with a denied claim would see you having to pay your cars full value to the finance company or a complete loss if owned outright plus out of pocket expenses for the other car's repairs.

Currently paying $400 p/a for comprehensive insurance, check out a quick quote online and check the box 'have you even had a claim denied or policy canceled' and see if at all they offer any coverage apart from the huge premium. Get a fine for illegal taxi work (which is highly likely) in a private vehicle and that will stay on your file, insurers have assess to such database and can/will deny a claim 5 years down the track because you voided the policy.

Written in black & white in uber's term of service transport agreement, the contingency liability coverage is only against injury or harm to a passenger. They go on record to say you are covered in that event but this is not written on anything that has any legal standing. Zero coverage for damage to your car even if your existing policy is denied.

Talk to existing drivers and completely detach from any of uber's fabricated marketing emails and texts about huge pay days. Leave no stone unturned when performing your research and come to an educated decision.

Best of luck,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own the car outright and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was uninsured and totalled. But the possibility of an accident involving other vehicles and injuries, without insurance cover potentially making me liable for millions is unacceptable. I won't be doing this unless and until it becomes legal and insurable.

I wonder if the current drivers really understand the risk they are taking.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hi peoeple my uber buddies call me a sceptic but all this talk is empty crap the core of the matter we r not dealing with LYFT but the company wich has surpassed every thing in the market of moving people from A TO B.
Indian drivers get the centerlink payments work part time as couriers for Aus post and full time ubering so there is more than plenty of drivers at any time complain or not gst or not they dont give a rats ass
image.jpg
even master bruce drives for uber

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
I own the car outright and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was uninsured and totalled. But the possibility of an accident involving other vehicles and injuries, without insurance cover potentially making me liable for millions is unacceptable. I won't be doing this unless and until it becomes legal and insurable.

I wonder if the current drivers really understand the risk they are taking.
Many don't! They all beleive they are covered completely by uber. I've studied many driver facebook pages and taxi pages where uber drivers comment, all are grossly misguided by uber.

The indifference with your personal insurance is a risk, a denied claim or canceled policy is a huge deal. Try getting auto insurance after such case and see the response, many won't cover at all or double and triple what your paying now for the next 5 years. an additional 400-800 on top of your normal premium for 5 years ($2000-4000 avg additional) diminishes any small profit that you may have forecast, then you've essentially been working for Uber for free.

As long as your aware of all the risks, it won't be such a shock if things were to go pear shaped unintentionally.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As of today, there is no state or territory in Australia where driving for uberX is a legal activity.
No one should sign up for uberX driving in this country. Do not trust Uber to tell you the truth.
You are operating an illegal taxi service. There are dire consequences for those who are caught.

Wake Up Australia.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As of today, there is no state or territory in Australia where driving for uberX is a legal activity.
No one should sign up for uberX driving in this country. Do not trust Uber to tell you the truth.
You are operating an illegal taxi service. There are dire consequences for those who are caught.

Wake Up Australia.
You should disclose whether you are in the taxi industry. I assume you are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts