·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accept all ride requests.

Communicate with your riders.

Take screen shots.

Don't cancel short trips.

Don't leave after 5 minutes without communicating with your riders.

Don't be a jerk.

We see people posting on how they don't accept short trips. They mark riders as a now show after 5 minutes. They don't communicate with riders and don't work with riders if they enter the wrong address, etc.

Then we see people posting that they were deactivated for to many cancellations.

What goes around comes around.

Sometimes I drive 20 minutes to take someone on a half mile ride. I hate that. Sometimes people are just lazy. Sometimes people can't physically walk that far.

Yesterday I waited for someone who entered the wrong address. Yes, I was annoyed. They walked TO me and it was a $20 fare.

Do good. Be kind to others. Good will come back to you.

Bark, be pissy and cancel rides and that will come back on you too.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Have fun with that. Good will come back to you? I'm running a business not a charity. If it isn't profitable, cancel.
If there aren't at the pin, cancel.
If they want to stop, no

Driving twenty minutes for a pickup? I really hope you're joking. Maybe you should just cancel the ride and drive them around for free. Screw water, offer them some Starbucks or champagne.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most often those 20-minute pickups pay off. In a big way. It's not very often that I get a half mile road. I don't live in a big city I drive all over 3 counties and two states. Things may be different for you but for me the 20-minute rides generally payoff.

A couple of times I did not take the rides and then over slow down.

Uber pays my bills and life is good to me.

I can already see that your attitude reflects your life. And this is exactly what I'm talking about

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Some people don't understand the term of driving for pay.......take the good with the bad........but then again I am an actual professional driver.......some are just wanna-bees but claim to be better than cabbies.............and actually cabbies pick up every fare regardless

·
Registered
982 Posts
If I were paid even half what a cabbie was I'd consider it. Not to mention I'm using a car that I own, I'm putting miles on. The fact that a cabbie still makes much more driving around in a gas guzzling V8 Sedan should tell you enough... The amount paid per minute is not profitable enough to drive any further than 9 minutes just to get what 8/10 times is a trip around the block for a minimum fare.
Unless you're actively transporting a pax you aren't making anything, you're losing. Every moment you don't have a passenger in your vehicle that you are transporting you're losing. I am a professional who values his time, if it isn't financially in my favor I don't do it.

My acceptance rate is 67%. Why should I wait for some cheapskate poolrider when the next block is surging x5?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Now not every cab is a v8 camrys, vans, priuses, calibers, hell my company has put on a lot of 4 cyl cars and a few 6 cyl cars I own a 4cyl that I turned into cab......other than more $ per mile and .36 per min or $22 per hour and not using my personal car and covered by actual $5 million commercial insurance why would I ever change to Uber......I don't know why people would even consider Uber......better pay and guaranteed insurance plus not destroying personal auto....as a cabbie

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's tough not to cancel on some people where they aren't where they said they were going to be, and they don't answer the phone or a text message when you arrive looking for them, or they answer and hang up on you. Perhaps they pocket-ubered you? In any event I'm not waiting more than 5 minutes in that case when you don't answer a call or txt. I do not believe that is being a jerk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, that is not. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about refusing to try to get in touch with the customers when they're not where they said they were going to be.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think it's very disrespectful for a pax to keep a driver waiting. A simple solution would be for the pax to not request a ride until they are ready to go, time is money.

I feel 5 min is more than enough time to wait for them and there's no need for me to text or call them. They are notified apon my arrival. If they are running late they can show me respect by calling or texting.

As far as wrong addresses go there's no excuse. They can see the address they pinned and if it's wrong, change it.

As for driving 20 min, go for it. My max is 10.

Not only am I a driver, I'm a pax from time to time. When I request a ride I make sure the address is correct and I'm waiting at the curb for my ride. If I can do this so can the rest of the riders. Plus I know how to tip!

·
25,011 Posts
Now not every cab is a v8 camrys, vans, priuses, calibers, hell my company has put on a lot of 4 cyl cars and a few 6 cyl cars I own a 4cyl that I turned into cab......
I own my cab. It is a 2015 Ford Fusion hybrid. Many of the drivers here who own their cabs have hybrids and accessibles. There are even a few pure electrics.

Some of the rental companies even have hybrids, electrics or accessibles. There are still many of the Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis, but they are being phased out.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
There are times where I may be at the correct address technically but I am not at the correct entrance to that address. Typically, this happens at corner addresses. I am on the street named in the pickup line but the main door entrance is known to locals as around the corner on the intersecting street.
I can clear up misunderstandings like that by contacting the pax, especially in a bustling urban business district where I admittedly pull over into illegal spots to let traffic pass (no stopping zone, bus stop, fire hydrant, etc.).

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my market, Atlanta, driving 20 minutes for a pickup makes little or no sense given a modest cost/benefit analysis. Very few rides are longer than 20 min. Those that are longer hardly justify that 20 min drive to pickup with the current rates. My experience has been that about 90% of those kinds of pings are for very short distances, often under 5 min. That's why I don't accept them. With that probability, it's foolhardy to even accept such pings.

Believe it or not, I deliberately took long distance pings for a period of time so I could carefully assess the odds and the above was my finding. I didn't just come to that decision after two or three pickups. If I found the odds to be close to 50/50, then I'd be more inclined to accept such pings. My conclusion is: Those kinds of pickups are not worth my time. Anyone in Atlanta with your mindset can feel free to have those requests.

Now, some drivers call to find out the destination. Nothing wrong with that, in my view, since Uber deliberately withholds that info that would enable drivers to make a sound decision. Uber says that leads to cherry-picking; I call that acting responsibly as a small business person. I don't call. I simply ignore such requests to begin with.

I agree with a poster above that it's not necessary to call the rider since he/she would have been alerted by the app upon arrival. My own limit is 6 maybe 7 min max to pickup and I think it's unfair to have me waiting for another 5 min on top of that. It's simple: request uber when you're ready to go. You can see the car on its way and you can also see when it arrived. Be ready to go. If that is being a jerk then count me in.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Take screen shots.

Don't be a jerk.

We see people posting on how they don't accept short trips. They mark riders as a now show after 5 minutes. They don't communicate with riders and don't work with riders if they enter the wrong address, etc.

Then we see people posting that they were deactivated for to many cancellations.

Sometimes I drive 20 minutes to take someone on a half mile ride. I hate that. Sometimes people are just lazy. Sometimes people can't physically walk that far.

Yesterday I waited for someone who entered the wrong address. Yes, I was annoyed. They walked TO me and it was a $20 fare.

Great outlook!
That kind of attitude will keep you positive in the long-term, and will not let the job stresses get to you.

We are all in a different place and have different outlooks. No one right way to do this. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The way I see it:

Uber is an app that I downloaded on my phone.

I'm out here, living my life by my code, the best way I know how.

My focus with driving is to make decisions that result in the most efficient use of my time. For example - say I've just waited 5 minutes at a pickup location - then I'll make a decision. Sometimes waiting more is the best use of my time. I've already got a ping, I'm already at the pickup location. If I cancel for $5, it could be another 5-15 minutes until I can get back into that situation. I'll probably make more than $5 on an actual trip. However, I look at the whole picture and sometimes collecting the cancellation fee is in my best interest. Each scenario on each subject gives you different decisions.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts

Take screen shots.

Don't be a jerk.

You know, back when I was driving a cab we were taught that drivers who do the most trips in other words don't cherry-pick, they always wind up making more money and I found that to be true so these are good words thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, back when I was driving a cab we were taught that drivers who do the most trips in other words don't cherry-pick, they always wind up making more money and I found that to be true so these are good words thank you
Thank you.

I've been annoyed when I get the half-mile ride but then I get another ride in that area and it pays off. Or that area is super busy.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I like your outlook.......I don't cherry pick I pick and drop every fare I can

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Most often those 20-minute pickups pay off. In a big way. It's not very often that I get a half mile road. I don't live in a big city I drive all over 3 counties and two states. Things may be different for you but for me the 20-minute rides generally payoff.

A couple of times I did not take the rides and then over slow down.

Uber pays my bills and life is good to me.

I can already see that your attitude reflects your life. And this is exactly what I'm talking about
I agree! And I hope to ride with you some day, and you with me.

I'd modify your rules just a little though. I do communicate with passengers, but do cancel on them if they've done something foolish like intentionally misplace the pin to avoid a surge, or have led me someplace so far away they would be better off cancelling and getting another driver.

For the same reason I'll generally avoid a 20 minute pickup. Those do tend to be better than average rides, but still it is better if someone else takes that one. They'll get a ride.

Good treatment of passengers generally does come back to reward you. The Golden Rule is what I live by, but that works both ways. If I screwed up a driver I'd feel a lot better paying the cancellation fee than not. That fee makes him an honest man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts