Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can be deactivated for cherry picking. When you "cherry pick", you are making the Uber request system unreliable. If you don't wish to accept requests, you should go offline in the partner app.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't listen to that. Drop any job you want at any time. If enough drivers do this then Uber and riders have to change how they do things.

You cherry pick by refusing any job that you determine is too far away or in an area that you think sucs for you. Even if you accept a job and go after it and then realize, hey, wait a minute this aint good. Drop it like a hot potato. If you get to the house and the house looks dumpy or the neighborhood is crappy... cancel and burn tires. If it's four idiots trying to get somewhere on the cheap, $2 bucks each cancel on them as you drive by.

Once you find areas that are good for you or provide good runs(normally) Key on those places and ignore all the pings taking you out of that area.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can be deactivated for cherry picking. When you "cherry pick", you are making the Uber request system unreliable. If you don't wish to accept requests, you should go offline in the partner app.
jesus ****ing christ, you're not even trying to NOT sound like an uber spokesman. they re actually paying you for this lameness. you should be fired right now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Would you drive 20 minutes to pickup location without knowing the fare? If you would, I bet you are a gambling addict!
No one should be driving 20 mins to a pickup location! That's not "cherry picking", calling or texting pax and asking for destination, refusing rides based on destination, etc... that's cherry picking.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Would you drive 20 minutes to pickup location without knowing the fare? If you would, I bet you are a gambling addict!
caraanmia, ignore this entity. it's on uber's payroll.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi cherry pick in Vegas I used to. I would sit and watch a new deck of blackjack cards being dealt keeping track of the tens and fives and then jump in the right moment.

This is like to a 12 day winning streak for 25000 and 23 day winning streak at 4000.

Lonly care what other other drivers do if I start getting blamed for their violations

·
Banned
919 Posts
No one should be driving 20 mins to a pickup location! That's not "cherry picking", calling or texting pax and asking for destination, refusing rides based on destination, etc... that's cherry picking.
I cherry pick not by how far but which way they are going. I was told uber is ride sharing and therefore, they need to be going the way towards my office. I normally need one ride to get close to my office. I have been getting text stating too many request are being cancelled. I don't cancel but the rider does it. Now if I signed up for Uber thinking it was true ride share and now I can't call or text the rider to make sure they are going my way, isn't this against what uber claimed to be and also isnot it our right to reject rides? I rarely turn down those unprofitable rides but if it is a min fare ride, they need to be heading towards the way I am going.

·
Banned
47 Posts
I agree these are a couple of the best ways to cherry pick and all drivers should be doing these two at a minimum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My whole town isn't 20 minutes from end-to-end. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration if you include the 'outskirts', but it is a very small town - I wonder if it is a 'test market' for Uber and perhaps the smallest town in which they have opened? 30,000 permanent residents, roughly, and 36,000 University students on a transient basis. There are numerous smaller communities surrounding the 'main' one in which Uber operates, plus a larger city with the state's main airport 50 miles away.

It's only been 'open' since July and is not very busy except after football games and such. I would never refuse a ride based on pick up location, simply because sometimes there is only one ping all evening. However, I do wish there were a way within the Uber app that would let my riders know that I don't travel more than 'x' miles outside city limits, with the 'x' being a variable that I could adjust when I log into the app based on the time I have to drive. I would leave my app on longer and be available to those college kids going from Walmart to their dorms longer in the evening if this were an option.

I have to be 'done' driving and back to the dance studio to pick up my kid by a very specific time every time I drive. Right now, thanks to some suggestions I've received here, when I'm getting close to my 'app turn off' time, I send a text to the pax when I accept a ride. I can't take someone to the airport and get back to get my kid in less than 90 minutes, for example. So my text says something like this, "I'm your Uber driver, I'm on my way. If you are going more than 10 miles outside city limits, please cancel your request at no charge to you and re-request a different driver. Thank you."

So far, no one has cancelled me and I've not had to refuse a fare upon arrival to pick them up - but I will if I need to. I'm not willing to be late picking up my kid to keep a 'perfect' acceptance rating. :D Uber could fix pretty easily if they wanted to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I look at their ratings first. Then I look at their location. If I see them at a train station, then I'm assuming it's a quick drive, not worth my time. Same with grocery stores and such. If you have a crappy rating, then I'm ignoring you. Anything 4.5 or less is not worth the hassle unless the surge is high.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I look at their ratings first. Then I look at their location. If I see them at a train station, then I'm assuming it's a quick drive, not worth my time. Same with grocery stores and such. If you have a crappy rating, then I'm ignoring you. Anything 4.5 or less is not worth the hassle unless the surge is high.
Also, anything you can decipher as a bus like the red or green line. Some smart pax are now pinning a block or two away from these places to get rides. You have to know the area then.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Wrong.

You are an independent contractor. You can accept or reject any fare you choose. If Uber wants a forced dispatch system, they will have to hire you as a W-2 employee.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ay who r u why r u on this forum

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK Uber mom.

Reactions: Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Please cite the paragraph in the Partner Agreement that discusses this. The U.S. version, not the Aussie one. Gracias!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Again, please cite the provision in the Partner Agreement that outlines these "prohibitions" which you describe here. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts