Uber Drivers Forum banner

TMR

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Instyle 
#1 ·
ive been doing uber for a month.
Long time lurker, but first post. I'm writing this on the iPad on the side of the road whilst quiet

Just been pulled over by those knob heads at tmr on queen street, he asked to see my phone I said no, he asked again, I told him there's no way he is having my phone.
He checked my licence and said he knew I was ubering, I denied everything.
He accused me of being out last night, I laughed at him as I definitely wasnt. They took photos of my car and gave me a 'warning'. He finished by saying that they are talking about giving out demerit points i the future?

Couldn't give a toss about the bell ends pulling me over, but concerned if demerit points are to be handed out.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I had no pax in the car, refused to give him my phone and completely denied anything to do with uber. So he gave me a warning and photographed my car.
I do uber once a week either Friday or Saturday, it's good funs and some extra cash, IF demerit points come in I would quit uber, I can't risk my licence, I need it for my day job.

Funny the government on one hand want us to pay gst, yet on the other dish out fines? Complete ****wits!

Anyway, I'm home now, a good night bit of cash and a few more stories.

#4 ·
They couldn't issue an infringement notice because there wasn't enough evidence. They just wanted to scare you, mate.
I experienced a similar situation in the Valley 2 months ago. My case was worse than yours, as I was picking up a pax. In the 5 weeks following the incident, I was expecting an infringement notice sent to my mailbox, but it never arrived.

#5 ·
He finished by saying that they are talking about giving out demerit points i the future?

Couldn't give a toss about the bell ends pulling me over, but concerned if demerit points are to be handed out.

Thoughts?
This is by far the easiest way to shut down Uber, so why hasn't the government done it? They are addicted to the fines they keep pulling in, this is a government that has no idea how to pay down the debt that the previous Labor governments got us into - this is money for jam for them.

#8 ·
I looked at the TMR list of offences attracting demerit points. Example :-
"Driving hire vehicle on Fraser Island that is carrying a load on the vehicle's roof Traffic Reg-Section 77(1)(d) 3 $353 "
If they can go to this detail, they can certainly 'design' a demerit offence to suit the Uber situation, if they want.

#10 ·
Issuing demerit points need to be legislated before they can be issued for illegal taxi driving as there is no current precedent in the current regulations.

Hell if it was up to me i'd just request an UberX, screen shot the details... cancel the ride and repeat and send the fines courtesy of the mail. Which is how they're probably getting most of their data on the drivers anyway.

#11 ·
Issuing demerit points need to be legislated before they can be issued for illegal taxi driving as there is no current precedent in the current regulations.

Hell if it was up to me i'd just request an UberX, screen shot the details... cancel the ride and repeat and send the fines courtesy of the mail. Which is how they're probably getting most of their data on the drivers anyway.
That would only attract the 'offering pps' fine $200-300, right?

I don't know why they don't just do that, TMR could have 65%+ of drivers on file if they concentrate on FRI/SAT

#12 ·
Instyle,

Not sure what type of fines they can levy against UberX drivers by requesting/screen-shoting and then cancelling but it would certainly have a bigger effect, imo. Imagine a Queensland Transport compliance officer in the city, Valley, Sunnybank and St Lucia simultaneously fining the UberX fleet.

That's how I'd do it. But like i said earlier my understanding is that it has to be legislated first. Making it illegal to be offering a Ride-Sharing service and NOT just doing Ride-Sharing.

Legislation i'm told is due in Parliament in September...

#15 ·
Long time lurker, but first post. I'm writing this on the iPad on the side of the road whilst quiet

Just been pulled over by those knob heads at tmr on queen street, he asked to see my phone I said no, he asked again, I told him there's no way he is having my phone.
He accused me of being out last night, I laughed at him as I definitely wasnt. They took photos of my car and gave me a 'warning'. He finished by saying that they are talking about giving out demerit points i the future?

Thoughts?
Stuff tmr-don't worry about them-keep driving. Govt is impotent, they can't do anything to us

#16 ·
I looked at the TMR list of offences attracting demerit points. Example :-
"Driving hire vehicle on Fraser Island that is carrying a load on the vehicle's roof Traffic Reg-Section 77(1)(d) 3 $353 "
If they can go to this detail, they can certainly 'design' a demerit offence to suit the Uber situation, if they want.
Where else would you carry a dead Dingo you scored on Fraser?

#18 ·

Thoughts?
I always tell a Cop wanting to look at my phone that I have very personal and private photos of my wife in it in various Apps and programs and that I would feel that he was grossly invading my privacy. I then ask him if the alleged offence (in my case he said I was texting) demanded such a infringement of privacy. He backed off.

#19 · (Edited)
He accused me of being out last night, I laughed at him as I definitely wasn't. They took photos of my car and gave me a 'warning'. He finished by saying that they are talking about giving out demerit points i the future? Couldn't give a toss about the bell ends pulling me over, but concerned if demerit points are to be handed out.
Thoughts?
You did the right thing especially if you had no passengers but beware it is an offense to lie to them if say you just dropped off a passenger, what you do then is up to you really.
Did they pull you over while driving or while you were already pulled over on the side of the road?
Read Sydney Uber's advice, it might work better than a get lost mate it's none of your business to DTMR.
If you have no pax they have no legal right(my understanding) to stop you at all as you do not fall under their authority unless something about your vehicle is so dangerous that it will cause an accident.
There only 4 morons in the DTMR still bent on running Uber out of Brisbane but they have done nothing now for many months, maybe that has changed lately, I will be back out next week so I shall have a look around. Now that the Premier has come out and said she supports regulation it is possible the government may have give Uber back the money at some stage, likely but just as unlikely but by supporting Uber publicly this is possible however remote. As for the demerit's you can safely ignore this, it needs to be legislated and there will be no support by a weak government for this and as for fish faeces suggestion to request and screen shot, this is not evidence of any offense that exists in Queensland, it is not illegal to accept a rideshare request, I swear fish faeces you type here drunk or off your skull on something.
Rage on fish face.

#22 ·
For what it's worth, if the police pull you over you must give your name, address and licence to them as well as cooperate with breath or drug tests but that is all. I suspect TMR would be much the same.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/crime-and-police/being-arrested-and-police-custody/being-stopped/

This being said, if pulled over by police it may be better to just admit to driving for Uber as being stubborn could put them in a bad mood and cause them to fine you for other things.

#23 ·
Shock, DTMR are are far more limited in their powers. They are restricted on the hours they can actually operate and who they can stop, evidence for this can be found when you see police and DTMR at the roadside checkpoints. DTMR can pull over trucks, buses, cabs etc but cars only if it is such a danger that it is going to have/cause an accident. Cops hate DTMR because they try to behave like cops is what I have heard. Your advice about admitting it is the right way though as the cops do not care about Uber at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.