Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends drives for Uber, a TLC cop pulled him over in Manhattan and gave him summon for using Bluetooth headset! He wasn't talking on the phone that time still he got ticket, he just uses it for navigation purpose.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
One of my friends drives for Uber, a TLC cop pulled him over in Manhattan and gave him summon for using Bluetooth headset! He wasn't talking on the phone that time still he got ticket, he just uses it for navigation purpose.
Yes, it is against TLC rules to have any form of headset; bluetooth or otherwise. This rule is always violated, but it is a rule. Maybe the officer had a bad day. I use the kind that you put around your neck and only the ear bud goes inside your ear. When I see them or police, I yank the string so that it will pop out of my ear...and I put in back in a block later.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yes, this is too visible. Here are the ones I use. I put the round part around my neck and just pull the ear bud up to my ear. No blue light blinking or anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Why do you need these for navigation? Waze and Google Maps display the turn by turn directions in a big readable way. And after a few weeks you'll be able to know most of the common turns without needing to glance at the navigation.

If your defense is "the letters are too small". Get glasses. Or it's distracting looking at the mounted phone. Mount it in a better position.

Bluetooth headset are just training wheels that you'll never want to take off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Why do you need these for navigation? Waze and Google Maps display the turn by turn directions in a big readable way. And after a few weeks you'll be able to know most of the common turns without needing to glance at the navigation.

If your defense is "the letters are too small". Get glasses. Or it's distracting looking at the mounted phone. Mount it in a better position.

Bluetooth headset are just training wheels that you'll never want to take off.
Google Maps or Waze are also training wheels that these drivers will never take off.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
WAZE Is very helpful, especially for forecast traffic ahead of you. The problem is that not many people report road issues or gridlock in many areas.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
My phone's paired to my car, period. I got pulled over on Far Rockaway by 2 nypd hunters, and my clients cussed the cops 1" of their lives. They let me go with a verbal warning.

·
Banned
2,126 Posts
This rule went into effect in 2010, the city got sued by someone who got hit by a Taxi driver, apparently he was using headphones, I am sure the problem was not do to the pedestrian Jay walking, LMAO. In the city they never really bother you, but be careful at the airport's, especially JFK and LGA, I was pinched once at JFK terminal 4 by the TLC undercover police, the guy who caught me "forgot the Bluetooth in my ear while I was getting the luggage for the PAX", he wanted to give me the summons real bad, but his partner let me off the hook with a warning, it's nothing more than a money grab, it's $300 summons and 2-3 points on your TLC license.
If you are going to use a Bluetooth with A2DP for navigation, I suggest this one in the cream color as it blends in with your ear, and it's small.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLG8FAE/?tag=ubne0c-20

·
Registered
847 Posts
This is a common ticket, easy for them to see and easy to stop you for it and write a ticket

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Didn't people brag about saving the customer heartache by using a headset to hear directions. Enjoy the ticket lol
Yeah, I can understand what the previous individual said. These pax rate us lowly for no good reason. I learned a good lesson - I do NOT look at my ratings anymore EVER. I don't get 2 fuks what these entitled pax think or feel...and I drive in a way that makes ME comfortable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts