Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently traded cars and was unable to get any information on our forums and thought I'd share my experience with those who need assistance with plate transfer (aka vehicle transfer)

1) Keep your old plates when you trade cars unless you want a spanking new T740+ and pay those ridiculous fees all over again.
2) Pay your dealer a little extra to expedite the registration process for the new vehicle (it normally takes 3 days, depending on the dealer)
3) Get a regular DMV plate and insurance in the meanwhile
4) Once you get the registration, go to your TLC insurance broker and have it transferred to the new car. It can take a few hours + $45 (depending on your broker)
5) Go to your base and get a TLC appointment with a base letter signed (Uber calls it vehicle transfer)
6) Head to DMV and register your TLC plates ($25) and surrender the regular plates. They should give you a new registration right away
7) Pay $20.00 + $0.78 at TLC for the transfer and get an appointment for the visual inspection. (Go to S.I. office if your base can't find you an early appointment with LIC office, it saved me 5 days)
8) It will cost you $75 for the visual inspection if your car has more than 500 miles

Hope this helped

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One question
To transfer the plates at the DMV, did you need a TLC letter authorizing the transfer?
No, you just need your registration and fill out a simple form there
Reason I put 5 before 6 is due to the fact that it could take days to get a TLC appointment

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've recently traded cars and was unable to get any information on our forums and thought I'd share my experience with those who need assistance with plate transfer (aka vehicle transfer)

1) Keep your old plates when you trade cars unless you want a spanking new T740+ and pay those ridiculous fees all over again.
2) Pay your dealer a little extra to expedite the registration process for the new vehicle (it normally takes 3 days, depending on the dealer)
4) Once you get the registration, go to your TLC insurance broker and have it transferred to the new car. It can take a few hours + $45 (depending on your broker)
5) Go to your base and get a TLC appointment with a base letter signed (Uber calls it vehicle transfer)
6) Head to DMV and register your TLC plates ($25) and surrender the regular plates. They should give you a new registration right away
7) Pay $20.00 + $0.78 at TLC for the transfer and get an appointment for the visual inspection. (Go to S.I. office if your base can't find you an early appointment with LIC office, it saved me 5 days)
8) It will cost you $75 for the visual inspection if your car has more than 500 miles

Hope this helped
You mean less that 500 miles...IF MORE, YOU SHOULD PAY FULL INSPECTION PRICE ($600 ) ?

They cant transfer Base sticker without fee of 75$ even if not expired soon, that correct ?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ! im thinking to trade my mdx for an accord. black pings are disappearing everyday more and lx rides are always a joke (5 pax doing 3 blocks away)
You will be happier going with an accord, I smile every time I go to a gas station these days and love not having to deal with a large group of drunk millennials.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts

Hope this helped
Thanks for the guide. I finally bought a replacement. The dealership claimed that they couldn't do a TLC plates transfer and wouldn't give me the title and mv50 so that I can do it myself. I didn't do financing through them.
How long did you wait for the registration after buying the car?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the guide. I finally bought a replacement. The dealership claimed that they couldn't do a TLC plates transfer and wouldn't give me the title and mv50 so that I can do it myself. I didn't do financing through them.
How long did you wait for the registration after buying the car?
You should have asked them for an express service, even if it cost you a bit. Most dealers have the so called "runners" that goes to DMV to get the registration the same day. If left alone, they will wait to accumulate a bunch of jobs before heading to DMV, normally 2 to 3 weeks.
I had to go back to the dealer to pick it up and it took me exactly 3 days

what car did you get? New or used?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts

Hope this helped
I should add: In step 2. Ask dealer not to affix the civilian registration in the windshield. Just display the registration on dashboard. You will need the registration to get full refund from DMV (2 years worth). otherwise you will get 1 year from DMV. Don't ask me why. it doesn't make sense, but you will need that registration when you turn in the civilian plates to get a full refund.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should add: In step 2. Ask dealer not to affix the civilian registration in the windshield. Just display the registration on dashboard. You will need the registration to get full refund from DMV (2 years worth). otherwise you will get 1 year from DMV. Don't ask me why. it doesn't make sense, but you will need that registration when you turn in the civilian plates to get a full refund.
You won't need those registrations to get refund, done it twice within 6 months and got refund for 2 years worth on both case. I still have the registration of both cars

By the way, Lyft sent me 5 Plus requests this morning...I was wondering what pax would think if I showed up on my Sonata lol

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You won't need those registrations to get refund, done it twice within 6 months and got refund for 2 years worth on both case. I still have the registration of both cars

By the way, Lyft sent me 5 Plus requests this morning...I was wondering what pax would think if I showed up on my Sonata lol
How is the sonata think about getting one I hate the camry I am driving now the seat is killing

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
You should have asked them for an express service, even if it cost you a bit. Most dealers have the so called "runners" that goes to DMV to get the registration the same day. If left alone, they will wait to accumulate a bunch of jobs before heading to DMV, normally 2 to 3 weeks.
I had to go back to the dealer to pick it up and it took me exactly 3 days

what car did you get? New or used?
Bought a 2016 Altima from Hertz. I was debating about going black or suv for a while. Went to five black car bases, didn't see any potential. Going back to doing X, once I get my registration and TLC inspection.
Maybe will work in nj once I get my TLC plates transferred but not TLC inspected.

How is the sonata think about getting one I hate the camry I am driving now the seat is killing
Camry was killing my back too. Hopefully Altima is better. Time will show

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've driven both, Camry rides smoother but Sonata has much better seats. It seems that Sonata does better on mpg though

Bought a 2016 Altima from Hertz. I was debating about going black or suv for a while. Went to five black car bases, didn't see any potential. Going back to doing X, once I get my registration and TLC inspection.
Maybe will work in nj once I get my TLC plates transferred but not TLC inspected.

Camry was killing my back too. Hopefully Altima is better. Time will show
Grats on your new car. Are you sure you want to try NJ? I mean, it's a whole different ball game. You will have to learn where and when you have to be for those surges and how to avoid coming to NY, by the time you master NJ and find your honeyholes, you will end up driving in NY lol
I've driven in Jersey a few days but only a few places surges and it's only during the morning rush hour (Union City to Englewood Cliffs) also, keep in mind that 2.0X is the same as our NY rate without any surge. Most trips are somewhat longer distance but you could end up all the way down on NJ Turnpike around Cherry Hills and that's 90 miles away from NY

Also, don't forget you can't use Juno in Jersey

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
It was just an idea. Then I remembered all the long trips in nj for peanuts. Changed my mind.
The dealership is giving me a runaround with the registration. Promising to issue permanent registration, but not delivering. Promised to do it Friday, failed. Promised today, failed.
Lets see what Tuesday brings.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts

Hope this helped
Followed your guide. Worked out perfectly. Inspection scheduled for Monday. Was at the Staten Island TLC office to pay and schedule the inspection. Saved about five days by going to SI.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Followed your guide. Worked out perfectly. Inspection scheduled for Monday. Was at the Staten Island TLC office to pay and schedule the inspection. Saved about five days by going to SI.
Thanks
You're very welcome, glad it worked out for you!

1 - 20 of 266 Posts