Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know why we rarely get tied it's because if you look on the uber website it says request no tips and drop off and ur there .something like that.how can you say no tipping on a site.yes were not a cab but kinda we are.tips are good for us for gas.I work full time and make good money but when payday comes I have to put aside 200.00 for gas and now I'm 200.00 shorter on paying bills.I love my job but things need to change.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a small clear drink glass in my cup holder with a few dollar bills hanging out of it (it has a small LED light in the bottom that illuminates the glass for night driving) . It's not labelled tips or anything, and I don't even reference it, but some pax see it and get the hint. It's probably doubled my percentage of tipping passengers since I put it in.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Uber states in FAQ, there is no need to tip. If you want to work with a rideshare app that has a tip option, drive for Lyft.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Lyft doesn't operate everywhere Uber does so that's not an option for everyone, including me. Also, there is no need to tip your waitress at a restaurant or the valet at your hotels either, but it's considered polite and customary as their wages assume tipping.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Same here, Uber even raised the minimum payout in Atlanta back to $4.00 but it doesn't motivate me to go there. I am waiting out the summer slump for Athens and hoping Lyft is launching there this fall. I have a 2012 and a more per minimum and PDB would be a great improvement, then Uber for surges. Any improvement in the tip situation would be tremendous and Lyft handles the keep it cashless part that Uber spews. Lowering the fare to improve earnings is a worse insult than the there is no need to tip fiasco. I make more, when people spend more, any 8 year old knows that.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Now I know why we rarely get tied it's because if you look on the uber website it says request no tips and drop off and ur there .something like that.how can you say no tipping on a site.yes were not a cab but kinda we are.tips are good for us for gas.I work full time and make good money but when payday comes I have to put aside 200.00 for gas and now I'm 200.00 shorter on paying bills.I love my job but things need to change.
When you talk to the customer you need to work into the conversation the fact that tips aren't included in the fare. Then they feel almost obligated to give you something. I love tourists. They almost always tip, versus the business traveler who rarely does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rarely get any tips even though I usually get a 5 star rating on 90 percent of my rides.
I found a site on Amazon that caters to Uber drivers and sells products that help increase customer satisfaction. I am going to order a tip jar that is lit with an LED and put one in the front and back of the vehicle.
It pisses me off that most of the riders are to cheap to give a tip. I drive in Orlando which is a tourist mecca where the average visitor to Walt Disney World blows between $7,000 and $10,000 for a week for a family that stays in the park. There are a ton of taxis that feed at the trough and expect a tip from their passengers. Taxi passengers have been conditioned to give a tip which is a social norm. We Uber drivers have been screwed over by Uber since their business model has discouraged tipping from the beginning. Since Uber settled a lawsuit last summer in California they agreed to no longer discourage tipping yet they have not revised their app which would make it easier for the rider to tip without using cash. Uber cares more about their riders than they do about their drivers and their business model is to keep increasing their market share at the expense of their drivers and taxi companies. I figure one of these days Uber will realize that they must increase revenue once they have crushed their competition and then they can act like a monopolist since they will be the only game in town
Unfortunately, the drivers are being squeezed as their weekly earnings decline while Uber makes up the lost revenue through increased volume. User must think there is an unlimited supply of drivers since they market their service as a way to earn big money which is far from the truth.
Sometimes I have days where for all the hours I put in,my net after expenses (gas, insurance, maintenance, finance charges and car payments) is less than I can earn at a minimum wage job without putting 2,500 plus miles on my car per month.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I only drive for Lyft because of the in app tip option. And even at that, only 50-60% tip which when I started, I thought it would be more like in the range of 80-90%.

Maybe a coincidence but I find that pax that ride up front typically don't tip as with couples.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I rarely get any tips even though I usually get a 5 star rating on 90 percent of my rides.
I found a site on Amazon that caters to Uber drivers and sells products that help increase customer satisfaction. I am going to order a tip jar that is lit with an LED and put one in the front and back of the vehicle.
It pisses me off that most of the riders are to cheap to give a tip. I drive in Orlando which is a tourist mecca where the average visitor to Walt Disney World blows between $7,000 and $10,000 for a week for a family that stays in the park. There are a ton of taxis that feed at the trough and expect a tip from their passengers. Taxi passengers have been conditioned to give a tip which is a social norm.
I'm usually in the 40-50 a day in tips driving a Mears taxi... I also only give the company 30-40% of my gross receipts every night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts