Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did around 450+ trips in one and half months. Suburbs people are friendly and usually give tips then city. I never ever received any tip from city pax on Uber. Max tip I got $15 tip on suburb ride to lake in the hills at 11.30 pm on friday night. City driving is stressful and all shorter trips then suburbs. Plus city pax, mostly are not nice as suburb pax. Is it me or anyone else has similar experience? I got tips from City pax on Lyft but never on Uber.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I agree with most of what you said. City pax treat us like a disounted cab or mass transit alternative, but because suburban cabs suck and mass transit is inconvenient the pax seem to be more appreciative. I don't mind driving in the city as much as I used to because of less dead time, but when you add up things like potholes, low mpg, ease of finding pax at pickup and length of trip the suburbs are less stress for not a whole lot less money.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cal City, Harvey, Blue Island all might as well be the Chicago ghetto. Don't remember off-hand where Tinley Park is, assuming close to the other 3.

I think they meant the more affluent DuPage suburbs.

I agree with most of what Pizza said, except I didn't really get treated any better or worse. Extremely small sample size (one weekend), and most of my pax were nice.

It's true that everything is easier and the trips longer. I'd guess my average DuPage trip would be around $18-20 (pre-uber's cut), while my average city trip was probably 8-10 dollars.

Worse than the dead time though are the dead miles. There are some times when you just have to gtfo, cause you know you ended in a dead spot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I drive more in McHenry and Lake County: Crystal Lake, Lake Zurich, Buffalo Grove.

A few big fares I've gotten have been Crystal Lake to Des Plaines, Wheeling to Antioch, Barrington to O'Hare, Gurnee to Downtown Chicago. I either have about 5 small trips in a day, totally at around $20-50 or I get two big trips for the day totally at $60-80.

Even in the suburbs I've only been tipped three times.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How do you guys (and girls) figure your making any money?

Granted, I've only done about 20 fares, and I live in the suburbs but.... I don't see much benefit here. I could see a way to make money of you live near the near the north side, that's the only place I have seen (red) surge rates. Vehicle depreciation is a big factor. PLUS, I'M DOING MOST OF MY DRIVING ON ELECTRIC POWER, which costs about 1/5 that of gasoline.
I like meeting nice people, but without control of my destinations, I will probably not continue. I may do a full post for other newbies to consider.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
How do you guys (and girls) figure your making any money?

Granted, I've only done about 20 fares, and I live in the suburbs but.... I don't see much benefit here. I could see a way to make money of you live near the near the north side, that's the only place I have seen (red) surge rates. Vehicle depreciation is a big factor. PLUS, I'M DOING MOST OF MY DRIVING ON ELECTRIC POWER, which costs about 1/5 that of gasoline.
I like meeting nice people, but without control of my destinations, I will probably not continue. I may do a full post for other newbies to consider.
Yup. Burbs are a loosing proposition. Once in a while, you might get a couple nice long rides. Usually it's short rides to/from train stations.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Definitely have a higher percentage of suburbanites that tip over the city dwellers. This is from Mt prospect to crystal lake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup. Burbs are a loosing proposition. Once in a while, you might get a couple nice long rides. Usually it's short rides to/from train stations.
Fully disagree....I start Burbs and end up in Chicago in most cases but tip wise the only time was when I picked up in Barrington IL ended in the Loop(Chicagoan). I guess since tip isn't promoted the other 14 rides I've done mostly Burbs they didn't think twice about a tip even when I accept driving 15+ minutes just to picked them up. It's all about going out at optimal times..which for me it's been evenings like 7 or 8pm and stay where ever you end up at til called to action. Burbs are slowly catching up. All the party goers are out late night using uber so they don't need to drive to these clubs

·
Registered
254 Posts
19 trips so far this week. 10 in the city, 9 in northwest suburbs. City - 0 in tips. Suburbs - 4 out of 9. $32 in tips.

·
Premium Member
13,247 Posts
Tips are hit or miss. Most riders still believe it's either prohibited or included. Some insist they "will add the tip on when they pay". Which is silly.
Today I was all in the burbs, 8 trips from East Dundee, to McHenry, to Woodstock, and even a trip from there to Harvard. Today I netted $115 and it was also a banner tip day at $32. All in all, 8 hours on the clock, of which probably 3 were spent at home, for a net of over $18 per hour. Beats flipping burgers. But it's dumb luck sometimes. I handed out about a half dozen cards, and two riders asked if I could be online after hours tonight and one wants me to pick them up for a ride to Arlington Heights in the morning. I'm hoping the cards with the promo code will be a nice boost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did around 450+ trips in one and half months. Suburbs people are friendly and usually give tips then city. I never ever received any tip from city pax on Uber. Max tip I got $15 tip on suburb ride to lake in the hills at 11.30 pm on friday night. City driving is stressful and all shorter trips then suburbs. Plus city pax, mostly are not nice as suburb pax. Is it me or anyone else has similar experience? I got tips from City pax on Lyft but never on Uber.
Hate to sound dumb...but what does Pax mean???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tips are hit or miss. Most riders still believe it's either prohibited or included. Some insist they "will add the tip on when they pay". Which is silly.
Today I was all in the burbs, 8 trips from East Dundee, to McHenry, to Woodstock, and even a trip from there to Harvard. Today I netted $115 and it was also a banner tip day at $32. All in all, 8 hours on the clock, of which probably 3 were spent at home, for a net of over $18 per hour. Beats flipping burgers. But it's dumb luck sometimes. I handed out about a half dozen cards, and two riders asked if I could be online after hours tonight and one wants me to pick them up for a ride to Arlington Heights in the morning. I'm hoping the cards with the promo code will be a nice boost.
Cards with Promo?? What's that?

·
Premium Member
13,247 Posts
Welcome to the site, Linda.

Check your email. Uber should have sent you a promo code you can give to new riders, or to new drivers. You get a small bonus for riders applying the code and a nice one for drivers signing up. I had made up some cards with the code and some additional information like rates.

People here use PAX as slang for passengers. I had the same questions myself recently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts