Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have a list of scams to watch out for and how to prevent/deal with them. Mine would be:

-Have passengers always change location to prevent them of accusing you of inefficient route
-Always have passengers verify their names and/or driver name to prevent uber thieves or right passenger saying they didn't take the trip

·
26,176 Posts
"My girlfriend booked this ride for me"

"Your name obviously is not Suzette. It says here that I must pick up Suzette. If you are not Suzette, I will not pick you up. If you want a ride, order one under your own name." Keep doors locked; wait five minutes; cancel, collect four dollars, three dollars seventy five or whatever it is; send e-Mail to Uber Driver "Support" that passenger did not have correct name; drive away from address. Wait for next ping.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
"My girlfriend booked this ride for me"

"Your name obviously is not Suzette. It says here that I must pick up Suzette. If you are not Suzette, I will not pick you up. If you want a ride, order one under your own name." Keep doors locked; wait five minutes; cancel, collect four dollars, three dollars seventy five or whatever it is; send e-Mail to Uber Driver "Support" that passenger did not have correct name; drive away from address. Wait for next ping.
Not sure why you do this I'd rather have the ride then the cancel fee. It's not uncommon or illegal to have others book and pay for the ride.

·
26,176 Posts
Not sure why you do this I'd rather have the ride then the cancel fee. It's not uncommon or illegal to have others book and pay for the ride.
It is neither uncommon nor illegal, but it is against the policies of both of the Big Two TNCs.

You use your discretion on this one; perhaps I failed to make that clear. I have seen this in the cab business for years, so I am used to it. Still, even then, you were wary. There could be some fraud involved, such as a stolen telephone with the application on it. The telephone's owner might not be aware that the telephone is missing. It could, in fact, be his GF's account, but he has her telephone, they are in the middle of a domestic dispute and she has not given her approval.

One of the members of my parish has a hyperactive (I do not know what the "modern"/PC term is for this, these days) offspring who is of adult age, but does not live with them. He does visit frequently, though. On his last visit, he absconded with their telephone and used it to order Uber rides everywhere. It was a telephone that this person used here and there, but it was not his usual telephone, so he was not aware that it was missing for about one week. As he did not have telephone alerts for his credit cards, he did not know what was happening until he could not find the telephone. He reported it missing, put together two and two, got seven and called his credit cards. Sure enough, there were a number of Uber rides that he did not take that were charged to his card.

So yes, often everything is allright, but not always. Be in this business long enough, and you develop the ability to sense when something ain't quite right. People do pull this scam, hence my posting it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've mentioned in some other posts that I operated my own in town taxi service for a number of years. When you start out in the business you learn very quickly the scams and what to look out for. You have to unless you want to keep getting taken advantage of. Kind of that fool me once shame on you but fool me twice shame on me. It's better to think about and take care of the next successful ride instead of opening yourself up to possibly working for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.