Uber Drivers Forum banner

Tipping other humans.

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Tommy San 
#1 ·
Since you started doing uber how has your view of humans changed?

What about tipping bartenders and servers now after experiencing them in your car?

#4 ·
Tipping is not required on Uber.
Since you have some kind of personal issue with something you agreed and signed on for, that is your problem. Not the passenger, not Uber, you create your own problems.
Guess what? Tipping is not required for ANYONE. It is something you do because it is custom in the industry, just like tipping waiters or pizza delivery drivers. The issue is not personal to Uber6, it is personal to every single one of us. And, no, we didn't create the problem, Uber did. They de-valued our labor by telling pax they didn't need to tip, now they can no longer forbid us to accept tips while accepting the fact the tips are NOT included. The problem is that Uber created a huge problem by trying to change the custom of tipping drivers (like you would when you take a cab.) Then Uber decided to lower the rates AND take more commission. Drivers did not create that problem. We are however stuck with fixing it. Riders now need to be re-educated. There are ways to do this to increase your tips and everyone else's. Think about it and apply it.

#15 ·
My Story... I signed up for delivery to see how it goes... i didn't research anything on this. I wanted to have a pure experience. I get a ping and the food is 6.5 miles out. Its dinner time and traffic is heavy. It takes 30 minutes to my destination (A) - I wait 7 minutes for the food and head out to destination (B). 1.3 miles 5 minutes. I arrive and it's a 20 story building and all I have is the address and Laura B. - not floor, no unit # no last name. I fence with the lobby dude to find out where to go. After 5 minutes he tells me it must be unit 612 (sixth floor) I wait for the elevator and after walking around the entire 6th floor, I find the customer's unit. I knock. Some dude in a towel opens the door. He takes the food from me. I stand there waiting for a tip but saying nothing. After a puzzling glimpse, he gets it and says, Uber's tip are included in their fee Dude! (with a pique in his tone) and he shuts the door firmly. I immediately swipe the Delivery complete link and wait to see what I will be paid. I have now invested 50+ minutes in this delivery and I have an empty back haul. The good news is; Uber was generous enough to comp me $5.08

I immediately sent Uber support a request to disable future delivery pings. They responded saying I should rethink my decision. I responded with a very clear message instructing Uber to disable my Delivery account. I got the "We love to help you and are pleased to hear from you message" They finally honored my request.

Uber has indoctrinated its customers to think tips are included, not that tips are not required. This is a problem that will be difficult to overcome even if Uber wanted to. We may need to go the Class Action route?

#5 ·
I had a great experience today. First rider was her first time using Uber and accidentally ordered pool. Sure enough it gets matched. She tips me 3 bucks when I drop her off. After she got out the second rider asked about tips. I explained the situation and he felt guilty but had no cash. He ended buying me a Coke at the liquor store when he stopped for beer to compensate.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
You are not owed a tip. End of discussion.
The only person to blame for your sadness is the person forcing you to click "GO ONLINE" in the Uber app.
Says who, you? Yeah, no one is owed a tip. But the argument still stand, if you tip a cab driver...why not your Uber/Lyft driver? Are they not providing the same service?

#7 ·

What about tipping bartenders and servers now after experiencing them in your car?
My view of humans hasn't changed since starting with Lyft 7 months ago.

I tip a lot of people. Sometimes it's an on-the-spot tip for bartenders, servers, waitresses, etc.., and other times it's a token gift card for nice people whom I come in frequent contact with.. Like Jenny at Speedway. Used to give the mailman a Christmas tip, but there's too much turnover now. The newbies and temp carriers don't shelter your package from the elements like the career guys used to.

Interestingly, people who have jobs where they receive tips, are usually very consistent with giving me tips. And they usually do it in cash, because they understand the value of a cash tip. They're not the biggest tippers, but they are very consistent.

#9 ·
Ah, the ol' "you don't like it you can leave it" argument. Don't criticize it. That's productive and encouraging. Instead of providing us with useless cliches, driving312, why not address the argument. You don't care about tips? You are full of ****. The argument is not about Uber's policy. It is simple (and let me borrow your lame, all caps and bold text):
IF YOU RIDE WITH UBER, YOU SHOULD TIP YOUR DRIVER.
END OF DISCUSSION.

#11 ·
DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?
The Uber app cannot include a tip when billing you for a trip fare.

Where available as a vehicle option, uberTAXI is an exception. uberTAXI connects riders with licensed yellow cabs, and includes the option to set a gratuity percentage added to your trip fare.

In most cities, Uber is a cashless experience. Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required. As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept.

#12 ·

since i start doing uber my tips was not change but i have some bad xp whit bartenders , take 6 of them to bartender party and get 0 tip , also i have same bad xp whit other uber drivers , last week i make 3 trips when pax also doing uber in their cities and also 0 tip , when i was doing taxi , drivers has respect to other drivers and always you have nice tip even on short trips ( the best was 20$ for 1 mile trip)

#13 ·
Before driving Uber I spent a lot of time in the restaurant biz earning tips and like other doing that would tip at obscene levels. Although I still tip good since driving Uber, someone really has to go out there way to get the kind of tips I used to get.
I usually only ride Uber when my car is in the shop would tip $2-3 for on fairly short trips with the exception of one trip. I'd just hit a Chicago pothole and I was fairly bummed out knowing I'd be without a car for a few days so I ordered Uber for a round tripper to the liquor store. I told the driver my story and he was great. The tips we shared with each other probably helped us both make more driving. By the time he dropped me off on a ride he made about $6 on I was in a much better mood and hardly needed the beer. I gave him a $15 tip and he earned every cent.

#17 ·
Its sorta lame when i get to talking to a pax and they say they also drive for uber but they dont tip, even a dollar or something. I rarely use the rider app but when i do i tip something. Come on guys we want to get tipped, so tip if youre gunna splurge on alcohol or some edible underware for the weekend.

#19 ·
I had someone tell me he was a driver. Not only did he not tip but he ordered pool on a short trip. If we don't tip each other how can we expect regular riders to tip?
One time I tipped a driver $14 on a $7 round trip to the liquor store. I'd just been in a car accident and was bummed out. By the time I got home he had put me a such a good mood I hardly needed the beer. He earned that tip.

#20 ·
I had someone tell me he was a driver. Not only did he not tip but he ordered pool on a short trip. If we don't tip each other how can we expect regular riders to tip?
One time I tipped a driver $14 on a $7 round trip to the liquor store. I'd just been in a car accident and was bummed out. By the time I got home he had put me a such a good mood I hardly needed the beer. He earned that tip.
Those kinda people are few and far between. Good thing you had it in you to tip too

#21 ·
I was an occasional Uber customer long before I started driving. Full disclosure; when I first started using Uber as a passenger over 3 years ago, I loved the Uber pitch that tipping was included. Like many others I chose not to think about it too much and I asked one of my drivers (that was giving me an Uber X ride in a decked out Lexus SUV) about tipping. He was an obedient soldier and recited the company line that on Uber tipping is not required. He did actually brave the wrath of Uber Gods and go on to suggest that if I was happy, a 5 star rating would be great! I sucked it all in and told myself I was doing right in not tipping but I knew inside that my inner cheapness was winning.

That all changed first when I had a driver about two years ago that picked up a couple of my customers and I at McCormick Place (in a Black car even though I ordered X), endured the jam up getting out of the Convention Center, waited on Michigan as we checked the wait time for dinner at Purple Pig, took us on to Old Town and put up with the Jam up on North Ave to get us to our back up restaurant. I was already starting to think about driving Uber and asked him some questions. I pushed him to share what he would make on that ride (no surge) and he guessed about $10. I asked how much additional in tip and that's when I had to own up to the whole tip is included myth being a lie (I have no other term for it). I tipped him $10 and he told me that was the 1st tip he had all day.

I went on to start driving myself and now I tip generously for great service, some for the basics and not at all on that rare occasion when my driver is a total jerk (like the guy that took the Kennedy to get from Huron & Clark to Boystown and got mad when I questioned his route). My point is peoples habits can change if we can get Uber to stop pushing the tip is included lie and let drivers be treated the same as others in the service industry.

Lyft is struggling to get market share but they are our best hope of changing that paradigm. I'm guilty of driving more Uber than Lyft because they keep me busier but I will keep trying to push Lyft in hopes they get strong enough to push the driver momentum their way and ultimately force Ubers hand.

#22 ·
I was an occasional Uber customer long before I started driving. Full disclosure; when I first started using Uber as a passenger over 3 years ago, I loved the Uber pitch that tipping was included. Like many others I chose not to think about it too much and I asked one of my drivers (that was giving me an Uber X ride in a decked out Lexus SUV) about tipping. He was an obedient soldier and recited the company line that on Uber tipping is not required. He did actually brave the wrath of Uber Gods and go on to suggest that if I was happy, a 5 star rating would be great! I sucked it all in and told myself I was doing right in not tipping but I knew inside that my inner cheapness was winning.

That all changed first when I had a driver about two years ago that picked up a couple of my customers and I at McCormick Place (in a Black car even though I ordered X), endured the jam up getting out of the Convention Center, waited on Michigan as we checked the wait time for dinner at Purple Pig, took us on to Old Town and put up with the Jam up on North Ave to get us to our back up restaurant. I was already starting to think about driving Uber and asked him some questions. I pushed him to share what he would make on that ride (no surge) and he guessed about $10. I asked how much additional in tip and that's when I had to own up to the whole tip is included myth being a lie (I have no other term for it). I tipped him $10 and he told me that was the 1st tip he had all day.

I went on to start driving myself and now I tip generously for great service, some for the basics and not at all on that rare occasion when my driver is a total jerk (like the guy that took the Kennedy to get from Huron & Clark to Boystown and got mad when I questioned his route). My point is peoples habits can change if we can get Uber to stop pushing the tip is included lie and let drivers be treated the same as others in the service industry.

Lyft is struggling to get market share but they are our best hope of changing that paradigm. I'm guilty of driving more Uber than Lyft because they keep me busier but I will keep trying to push Lyft in hopes they get strong enough to push the driver momentum their way and ultimately force Ubers hand.
I do my best to educate pax about tipping, but I think that Uber has ingrained "no tip" for so long, that even if they add a tipping option, most pax won't use it. People really think that tipping an Uber driver is against the rules.

#25 ·
No doubt you are correct there. As I've said before, I see tips perhaps 30% of the time on Lyft but it's less than half that on Uber. And I make more money on Uber (even with less tips) because they keep me busier. But if we want change, the more success Lyft has, the more Uber is forced to respond. And with Travis seemingly self destructing at the moment, Lyft could grow starting a slow change in the rideshare tipping culture.

#26 ·
My Story... I signed up for delivery to see how it goes... i didn't research anything on this. I wanted to have a pure experience. I get a ping and the food is 6.5 miles out. Its dinner time and traffic is heavy. It takes 30 minutes to my destination (A) - I wait 7 minutes for the food and head out to destination (B). 1.3 miles 5 minutes. I arrive and it's a 20 story building and all I have is the address and Laura B. - not floor, no unit # no last name. I fence with the lobby dude to find out where to go. After 5 minutes he tells me it must be unit 612 (sixth floor) I wait for the elevator and after walking around the entire 6th floor, I find the customer's unit. I knock. Some dude in a towel opens the door. He takes the food from me. I stand there waiting for a tip but saying nothing. After a puzzling glimpse, he gets it and says, Uber's tip are included in their fee Dude! (with a pique in his tone) and he shuts the door firmly. I immediately swipe the Delivery complete link and wait to see what I will be paid. I have now invested 50+ minutes in this delivery and I have an empty back haul. The good news is; Uber was generous enough to comp me $5.08

I immediately sent Uber support a request to disable future delivery pings. They responded saying I should rethink my decision. I responded with a very clear message instructing Uber to disable my Delivery account. I got the "We love to help you and are pleased to hear from you message" They finally honored my request.

Uber has indoctrinated its customers to think tips are included, not that tips are not required. This is a problem that will be difficult to overcome even if Uber wanted to. We may need to go the Class Action route?
My God. $5.08 for an hour, and that's before expenses! Terrible. That's not even close to minimum wage. When I used to deliver pizza in the late 90's, I made at least $200 in a 6 hour weekend shift. The reason was because almost everyone tipped! It sounds like UberEats is a real losing proposition! I'll stay away from that! The homeless guy on the train begging for money makes more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.