Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a girl using some guy's account (so no worry really of a 1 Star) and she asked if I tipped at restaurants. She used to be a waitress so my answer hit her hard. I said no, because I have driven enough waitresses and bartenders who don't tip me, so in return, I refuse to tip them anymore as a whole. This upset her and her main argument is that you have to tip those who serve you. My argument was that being a driver is way more important than bringing artery clogging food and drinks that kill the liver.

I have your life in my hands, lady. It's competely my responsibility to get you home without killing or maiming you.

Then she drops this fact that she always tips her Uber drivers. And surprise, surprise, she exits without tipping. Of course that's my fault for having this argument with her, though.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Sad thing is we should be on the same side. The rare occasion I get a server who asks me about this, I am much more diplomatic, and I explain that servers aren't the only people in the service industry. In the end, they still don't tip, and neither do I. I remember them, go back to their restaurant, and leave stars as tips on the receipt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Picked up a girl using some guy's account (so no worry really of a 1 Star) and she asked if I tipped at restaurants. She used to be a waitress so my answer hit her hard. I said no, because I have driven enough waitresses and bartenders who don't tip me, so in return, I refuse to tip them anymore as a whole. This upset her and her main argument is that you have to tip those who serve you. My argument was that being a driver is way more important than bringing artery clogging food and drinks that kill the liver.

I have your life in my hands, lady. It's competely my responsibility to get you home without killing or maiming you.

Then she drops this fact that she always tips her Uber drivers. And surprise, surprise, she exits without tipping. Of course that's my fault for having this argument with her, though.
They don't care to tip because most likely, they'll never see you again. You get the wanna-be ballers ,(Ex: Newport) that don't tip. Talk about all this stuff they own but can't drop a couple bucks . They make me sick .
Some guys was about to tip me and his buddy slapped his hand as he was taking his wallet out, this weekend .
NO TIP.
I always tip waiter, pizza boy, barber . I'm not a cheap azz .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, I always tip, no matter where I am unless the service was really poor. I took my first 2 uber rides this past Friday, I thought both drivers were average at best. First gentlemen, probably 60 years old, kinda drove fast, little hard on the braking, he did smile when I spoke to him, and said he enjoyed it and drove part time. I gave him $5. Second driver, probably 30, pulled an illegal u-turn once he picked us up, played his music pretty loud (which was crap) -didn't think that maybe we did not want to hear it, drove like we were in a slot car and in a race. This guy had the personality of a rock, and I still gave him a couple bucks.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
They don't care to tip because most likely, they'll never see you again. You get the wanna-be ballers ,(Ex: Newport) that don't tip. Talk about all this stuff they own but can't drop a couple bucks . They make me sick .
Some guys was about to tip me and his buddy slapped his hand as he was taking his wallet out, this weekend .
NO TIP.
I always tip waiter, pizza boy, barber . I'm not a cheap azz .
THIS!!!

And I'm pretty certain Mr. Pink is an Uber Driver-

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Apples and oranges dude. Waitress usually get paid below minimum wage and earn most of their income through tipping. If you are too cheap to tip then don't go to restaurants. Honestly you seem like a really sleazy guy. Aren't the same guy who maxed out all his credit cards and filed for bankruptcy?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I could be mistaken but I think California is not one b of those states that allow below minimum wage. When I worked for a finance company I had to call people in the biblebelt and learned a lot people in states like Mississippi and Alabama were earning less than 2 dollars an hour

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Apples and oranges dude. Waitress usually get paid below minimum wage and earn most of their income through tipping. If you are too cheap to tip then don't go to restaurants. Honestly you seem like a really sleazy guy. Aren't the same guy who maxed out all his credit cards and filed for bankruptcy?
Ahh most here also work for below minimum and could use the tips.

Apples and oranges? Your right, she's not paying the gas bill Morgage or insurance or maint. For the place she works.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow, I always tip, no matter where I am unless the service was really poor. I took my first 2 uber rides this past Friday, I thought both drivers were average at best. First gentlemen, probably 60 years old, kinda drove fast, little hard on the braking, he did smile when I spoke to him, and said he enjoyed it and drove part time. I gave him $5. Second driver, probably 30, pulled an illegal u-turn once he picked us up, played his music pretty loud (which was crap) -didn't think that maybe we did not want to hear it, drove like we were in a slot car and in a race. This guy had the personality of a rock, and I still gave him a couple bucks.
What does a rock look like with a great personality?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I could be mistaken but I think California is not one b of those states that allow below minimum wage. When I worked for a finance company I had to call people in the biblebelt and learned a lot people in states like Mississippi and Alabama were earning less than 2 dollars an hour
When I waited tables we got $2.75/hr when minimum wage was $5.25

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

"Those who serve you" can be applied to almost everything really, maybe everything. You gave her a service by taking her wherever she was going. Barbers give you a service, hell the cashiers at the supermarket give services. Why do the guys and girls at Chipotles and Subways have jars for the tips but get so little money to make a sandwich, when a bartender gets 20% to make a drink? To me the tipping logic doesn't makes much sense in the first place. It was probably invented by some owner to pay people less... I don't know. Hey, just like that Uber guy Trevor Kapalnick when he said "With us tip's included..."

·
Registered
566 Posts

Well as your self, there is many drivers that are not tipping no more, so she must have had one of those drivers as customer and got a nice 5 stars tip for her service.
Your answer to her, excellent;)!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts