Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
5,853 Posts
I have yet to see any proof that a PAX sitting next to me is riskier than a PAX sitting directly behind me when it comes to sharing any germs they may have. I still think it is a Uber feel good move and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Like everyone, driving UberX in my area I frequently encounter groups of four or more. Students almost always object with the lame "I thought I ordered an UberXL!" or the ubiquitous "Our last driver didn't have a problem with it!" but generally accept their fate and leave someone behind to walk, these are usually very short trips. I have only had a couple angry confrontations with students, but UVA students are very aware of the consequences of anything involving their honor code (or law enforcement) and I'm also pretty good at winning over the ones who take the trip to avoid retaliatory downvotes. I have my front seat mostly cleared out and will occasionally break the rule, I did it last night and got a $40 cash tip from four grad students who had been waiting over an hour to find an Uber, one of my best tips ever. But I'm 99% sticking to the rule. It's not fear of Covid, I'm double vaccinated and drove all year when I wasn't. It's simply wanting to follow the rules, and awareness of the potential liability. But enough already! That person three feet BEHIND me is more likely to spray me with sneeze droplets than a person three feet to the right. So the rule has been STOOPID all along, and it causes confusion, angry confrontations, and retaliation against drivers everywhere. At least once a week I have some sort of angry incident with a group of four, and it's usually weekend visitors or wine tourists traveling as a group.. I have completely stopped doing winery pickups partially for this reason. I had a really ugly incident last night; a little snotty preppy boy screamed "DICK.HEAD!" in my face and I got out of the car to illustrate the stupidity of his actions to he and his group. This s.hit is far too common, drivers everywhere are simply ignoring the rule to make money and avoid conflicts, (many discussions on this forum) so why hasn't Uber stepped up and addressed the issue?
Yes. My belligerent drunken party of 4 caused my SUV to get clipped over the weekend with their hemming and whining. I hadn't done the bar crowd in several weeks and this scenario is the main reason why. Even before COVID I just don't like people sitting up front with me. I put a couple of guys out for touching my radio knobs and barking buggies from the deepest recesses of their throat out my window, which is totally disgusting obviously, but I rarely got parties of 4 so I dealt accordingly. I don't like it though. I like my front seat empty for "things", you know?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Uh, they are the ones who made the rule. What more do you want, someone from Uber to ride shotgun so no one else sits there?

You have no right to complain, you are, by your own admission, part of the problem.

You should be embarrassed by this post
Oh, spare me the sanctimonious baloney. I can count on one hand how many times I broke "the rules" and allowed someone into my front seat in the past year. And when I did, it was for a very good reason. I'm somewhere between Seamus's 1 and 2 type. Example; winery run; 25 minute trip, drop off, usually deadhead back because generally people GO to wineries early in the day, and RETURN later. But on this occasion I got a rare return ping from the same winery. Nice! My $25 dollar trip is about to become a $50 trip. Oh no; 4 people! What did I do? I explained the rules, told them I would make an exception in their case, and when they - unprompted- promised to tip I made sure to tell them how much that would be appreciated. (I have not, ever, in nearly 5,000 trips, hustled for tips.) Well, they did tip. So I broke "the rules" and it gained me $35. Last night was similar. In fact, last night they handed me $20 cash before I agreed, and then another $20 when we got to the dropoff. (Two of the four went to my school.) My beef with Uber is that they clearly have no intention of stepping up and making a CLEAR announcement, for example, or SOMETHING.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
What confusion are you talking about ?There is no “ issue” .No front pax under COVID . Period
3 pax maximum in the back. No argue or debate . If you see they are more use the power lock , let the clock run and get a cancel fee. There is no need to argue . And taking a change to take four drunk that will throw you under he bus ? Are you out of your mind?
Yep...never ends well. That's why I don't do the bar crowd anymore. They're also the group most likely to get nasty about the masks as if they've been living under rocks for the last year. I would just pull around the corner, collect my cancellation cheese and bail. I'm not going to argue about s***! They can swallow the rocks that kick up from my tires as I head on down the road!

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I’m cool with drivers who don’t want a paxhole riding up front, but if you think having some paxhole breathing on the back of your neck instead of breathing on your front windshield is somehow gonna protect you from COVID, then you have no idea how this disease operates.
Personally, I prefer to let a paxhole ride in the front seat so I can watch what the sketchy freak is doing; much easier to land a karate chop on the Adam’s apple if shit gets outta hand.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Oh, spare me the sanctimonious baloney.
And when I did, it was for a very good reason.
So I broke "the rules" and it gained me $35.
So it's okay to break the rules al long as you benefit financially? Lol

Sanctimonious? 😆🤣😂 hardly.
I'd sell out too, in fact I have for the same thing. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and ignorance in your post on both blaming Uber AND complaining about others breaking the rules.

Frankly, I don't care, I'd have taken them too. I have and will again with cash in hand.

I won't however, come here whining about other people breaking the rules and crying that Uber needs to resolve the no front seat rule, *which is their rule and they have been consistent with it for a year now. There is so much we cam fault uber for but this isn't one.

You made the post whining that drivers are breaking the rule, then you give examples or you, yourself breaking the rule. Every driver that breaks the rules has a good reason, good enough for themselves.

You can't have it both ways. You need to follow the rules or shut up about other people breaking them, or at least DON'T brag about selling out in the same damn post you're complaining about others doing it.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I have yet to see any proof that a PAX sitting next to me is riskier than a PAX sitting directly behind me when it comes to sharing any germs they may have. I still think it is a Uber feel good move and nothing more.
Absolutely. That's all the no front seat rule it. 2 pax in the back seat , one is closer than if in the passenger seat.

If uber were serious they'd have made those dividers available to us cheap and quickly and would send us disinfectant spray and wipes, and masks automatically weekly. I got 10 masks and some wipes. Now I get an offer to buy wipes for 5.99 shipping or drive 110 miles to pick them up. 😆🤣😂

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
In the Uber early days you could actually create multiplier surges.
Yeah, I used to use the pax app to do this. Set the pin out I the middle of no where and request a ride, or on a busy night when there were no other drivers just do it in town.. Then use an old phone with a different account and do the same thing.

My pax account has been suspended since 2015 for excessively canceling rides while getting the surge going. 😆🤣😂
Screenshot_20210503-223041_Uber.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,502 Posts
“ Cash on hand “, “ bigger tips” , I get it .
We are all grown ups . Just do not start whining when you knowly walk outside the same system that protect you .

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Like everyone, driving UberX in my area I frequently encounter groups of four or more. Students almost always object with the lame "I thought I ordered an UberXL!" or the ubiquitous "Our last driver didn't have a problem with it!" but generally accept their fate and leave someone behind to walk, these are usually very short trips. I have only had a couple angry confrontations with students, but UVA students are very aware of the consequences of anything involving their honor code (or law enforcement) and I'm also pretty good at winning over the ones who take the trip to avoid retaliatory downvotes. I have my front seat mostly cleared out and will occasionally break the rule, I did it last night and got a $40 cash tip from four grad students who had been waiting over an hour to find an Uber, one of my best tips ever. But I'm 99% sticking to the rule. It's not fear of Covid, I'm double vaccinated and drove all year when I wasn't. It's simply wanting to follow the rules, and awareness of the potential liability. But enough already! That person three feet BEHIND me is more likely to spray me with sneeze droplets than a person three feet to the right. So the rule has been STOOPID all along, and it causes confusion, angry confrontations, and retaliation against drivers everywhere. At least once a week I have some sort of angry incident with a group of four, and it's usually weekend visitors or wine tourists traveling as a group.. I have completely stopped doing winery pickups partially for this reason. I had a really ugly incident last night; a little snotty preppy boy screamed "DICK.HEAD!" in my face and I got out of the car to illustrate the stupidity of his actions to he and his group. This s.hit is far too common, drivers everywhere are simply ignoring the rule to make money and avoid conflicts, (many discussions on this forum) so why hasn't Uber stepped up and addressed the issue?
Just talk to them about insurance instead of Uber policy.
Tell them Insurance only cover for 3 passengers Max and You can't afford if something happens.
They will have to accept that. or They will become Dxxk Head.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So it's okay to break the rules al long as you benefit financially? Lol

Sanctimonious? 😆🤣😂 hardly.
I'd sell out too, in fact I have for the same thing. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and ignorance in your post on both blaming Uber AND complaining about others breaking the rules.

Frankly, I don't care, I'd have taken them too. I have and will again with cash in hand.

I won't however, come here whining about other people breaking the rules and crying that Uber needs to resolve the no front seat rule, *which is their rule and they have been consistent with it for a year now. There is so much we cam fault uber for but this isn't one.

You made the post whining that drivers are breaking the rule, then you give examples or you, yourself breaking the rule. Every driver that breaks the rules has a good reason, good enough for themselves.

You can't have it both ways. You need to follow the rules or shut up about other people breaking them, or at least DON'T brag about selling out in the same damn post you're complaining about others doing it.
Perhaps, like you, I am possibly bipolar. But I think what I'm really trying to get across is the idea that if Uber would simply make an effort to unequivocally state that the front seat is off limits, then drivers wouldn't be in these situations. I'll even write the PSA for them. But I'm not "whining." Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
no doubt the $100 bonus is a one time thing only sent to drivers who haven't done any rides in months (or even a year). I just have to remember the $100 for the first 3 pings that have longer PU's than I'd normally accept. After that I have to come to Jesus moment and redo what I'll accept as pings.

Getting ones a few minutes away seems to be something in the past for now.:cry:
i've gotten it twice in the last month. first time i got it was around 04/07 and i had from 04/11 to 04//25 to complete, so i did on the saturday night before it ended. then i got the same quest last monday and knocked out 3 more rides friday night. hopefully it renews again next monday.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
WARNING

Embracing common sense will bring much heartache.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
You're not 99% sticking to the rule if you freely gave your front seat up for $40. That percentage would be accurate if you had given 2,000 rides and only allowed that one troupe in your front seat. Once a prosty, always a prosty..I keep a whole bunch of crap in my front seat and floorboard so that even if some hotshot were to open the door, they'd see there's no physical way for them to get in the car. Problem solved. 100% of the time. Deekhead clients or not. Fix your sheet, Holmes.

·
Premium Member
14,695 Posts
i've gotten it twice in the last month
the 3 rides for $100? Twice? Um, show us. (y)

I have until the 10th to get it. If they offer it a few time a month, those will be the only days i'll go online.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
You're not 99% sticking to the rule if you freely gave your front seat up for $40. That percentage would be accurate if you had given 2,000 rides and only allowed that one troupe in your front seat.
No, not even close.

1 out of 2000 is .05% meaning he followed the rules 99.995% of the time.

99% and the one infraction would be 1 out of 100.

Percent literally translates to part of one hundred. One penny is 1% of a dollar.

One hundred pennies equals one US dollar, $1.00

Two thousand pennies equals twenty US dollars, $20.00

Twenty dollars minus one penny equals $19.99. One penny out of $20.00 is .05% (point zero five percent)

One dollar minus a penny equals 99 cents. One penny out of a dollar is 1% (one percent)

Since we can easily figure $20.00 is 20 times larger than $1.00.
20 times one penny= 20 pennies.

Now simply exchange rides for pennies and we'll see for 2000 rides he'd have to break the rule 20 times to obtain a compliance rate of 99%

Since we're exchanging rides for pennies, taking $40.00, four thousand pennies, to let someone sit up front is quite understandable.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts