Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like everyone, driving UberX in my area I frequently encounter groups of four or more. Students almost always object with the lame "I thought I ordered an UberXL!" or the ubiquitous "Our last driver didn't have a problem with it!" but generally accept their fate and leave someone behind to walk, these are usually very short trips. I have only had a couple angry confrontations with students, but UVA students are very aware of the consequences of anything involving their honor code (or law enforcement) and I'm also pretty good at winning over the ones who take the trip to avoid retaliatory downvotes. I have my front seat mostly cleared out and will occasionally break the rule, I did it last night and got a $40 cash tip from four grad students who had been waiting over an hour to find an Uber, one of my best tips ever. But I'm 99% sticking to the rule. It's not fear of Covid, I'm double vaccinated and drove all year when I wasn't. It's simply wanting to follow the rules, and awareness of the potential liability. But enough already! That person three feet BEHIND me is more likely to spray me with sneeze droplets than a person three feet to the right. So the rule has been STOOPID all along, and it causes confusion, angry confrontations, and retaliation against drivers everywhere. At least once a week I have some sort of angry incident with a group of four, and it's usually weekend visitors or wine tourists traveling as a group.. I have completely stopped doing winery pickups partially for this reason. I had a really ugly incident last night; a little snotty preppy boy screamed "DICK.HEAD!" in my face and I got out of the car to illustrate the stupidity of his actions to he and his group. This s.hit is far too common, drivers everywhere are simply ignoring the rule to make money and avoid conflicts, (many discussions on this forum) so why hasn't Uber stepped up and addressed the issue?

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
What confusion are you talking about ?There is no “ issue” .No front pax under COVID . Period
3 pax maximum in the back. No argue or debate . If you see they are more use the power lock , let the clock run and get a cancel fee. There is no need to argue . And taking a change to take four drunk that will throw you under he bus ? Are you out of your mind?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Like everyone, driving UberX in my area I frequently encounter groups of four or more. Students almost always object with the lame "I thought I ordered an UberXL!" or the ubiquitous "Our last driver didn't have a problem with it!" but generally accept their fate and leave someone behind to walk, these are usually very short trips. I have only had a couple angry confrontations with students, but UVA students are very aware of the consequences of anything involving their honor code (or law enforcement) and I'm also pretty good at winning over the ones who take the trip to avoid retaliatory downvotes. I have my front seat mostly cleared out and will occasionally break the rule, I did it last night and got a $40 cash tip from four grad students who had been waiting over an hour to find an Uber, one of my best tips ever. But I'm 99% sticking to the rule. It's not fear of Covid, I'm double vaccinated and drove all year when I wasn't. It's simply wanting to follow the rules, and awareness of the potential liability. But enough already! That person three feet BEHIND me is more likely to spray me with sneeze droplets than a person three feet to the right. So the rule has been STOOPID all along, and it causes confusion, angry confrontations, and retaliation against drivers everywhere. At least once a week I have some sort of angry incident with a group of four, and it's usually weekend visitors or wine tourists traveling as a group.. I have completely stopped doing winery pickups partially for this reason. I had a really ugly incident last night; a little snotty preppy boy screamed "DICK.HEAD!" in my face and I got out of the car to illustrate the stupidity of his actions to he and his group. This s.hit is far too common, drivers everywhere are simply ignoring the rule to make money and avoid conflicts, (many discussions on this forum) so why hasn't Uber stepped up and addressed the issue?
What about Uber makes you think they care about the rules and the awkward interactions their policies create between drivers and the cargo?

These unenforceable policies are a win/win for Uber. They don't have to deal with the anger and harassment. Many if not most drivers just swallow their pride and complete the job. And if anything goes south, Uber is protected from liability by saying they have a policy against it.

See also: Unaccompanied minors Policy, eating in the car Policy, excessive PDA in the back seat Policy, Adding Stops Policy, Wait time at Stops policy, Changing Destination Policy, etc, etc...

Uber looks like they are proactive by having a policy, yet they are not responsible for enforcement and don't suffer any consequences when there is a violation/dispute.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What confusion are you talking about ?There is no “ issue” .No front pax under COVID . Period
3 pax maximum in the back. No argue or debate . If you see they are more use the power lock , let the clock run and get a cancel fee. There is no need to argue . And taking a change to take four drunk that will throw you under he bus ? Are you out of your mind?
You seem to avoid actual discussion and go straight to personal attacks.

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
It's on there list. It'll be right after they address the "no unaccompanied minors" and "car seats required" rules.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
The no pax in front seat, has been the only policy from Uber/Lyft that benefitted drivers. I love not having an annoying pax besides me and this allows me to put personal effects in the front seat. Don't want anyone to keep moving the front seat back and forth.

The problem when drivers don't enforce rules to make an extra peanuts, is it causes pax to say "the other driver allowed it". This just undermines your abiltiy to follow safety procedures yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
You seem to avoid actual discussion and go straight to personal attacks.
Are you that sensible? Where is the attack?

What happened with people today is they can be question, nobody can think different because they are “ attack “ Bunch of sissies if you ask me But the same people think that using racial slurs and spewing hate is ok because is out on the open .
And please , do not take the last comment directed to you because I do not know you well enough to apply . It is a generalization.
What do you want to discuss ? The policy is clear . Do you want to change it? Please say do .
You know what the policy is , you know why and you still made your own rules and break it . What do you want , an applause? For YOUR PROTECTION , no pax front seat pax .
What you do is up to you .

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I like the no-front-seat rule and hope it stays permanent. I keep both front doors locked at all times, which reduces my chance of being carjacked. That risk is higher now than pre-Covid.

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
The no pax in front seat, has been the only policy from Uber/Lyft that benefitted drivers. I love not having an annoying pax besides me and this allows me to put personal effects in the front seat. Don't want anyone to keep moving the front seat back and forth.

The problem when drivers don't enforce rules to make an extra peanuts, is it causes pax to say "the other driver allowed it". This just undermines your abiltiy to follow safety procedures yourself.
Rules are there to protect you . But the ultimate decision to use them is yours. When you chose to step out that net , you are on your own. Most people will go after you when an incident arise while you breaking rules .

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
so why hasn't Uber stepped up and addressed the issue?
Uh, they are the ones who made the rule. What more do you want, someone from Uber to ride shotgun so no one else sits there?

This s.hit is far too common, drivers everywhere are simply ignoring the rule to make money
You have no right to complain, you are, by your own admission, part of the problem.

You should be embarrassed by this post

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Among commission based sales people I've known in my life, the ones that make the most money seem to be the type that go by the motto "rules are for fools". Rule followers, seem to make less in sales. I think with drivers it is similar:
  1. Money driven drivers who believe "rules are for fools" and go for the max money: cash rides, unaccompanied minors, sell items to pax, negotiate "fees", and do whatever makes them money. Long-haulers, shufflers, etc.etc.. Then you have those that are very concerned about following the "rules".
  2. Drivers that are concerned about being deactivated on one hand, and drivers who don't worry about being deactivated.
All depends which type of driver you are. Many are somewhere in the middle. There is nothing a "rule follower" despises more than those who DGF about rules. Makes them crazy.

In the Uber early days you could actually create multiplier surges. At a regional airport outside on NYC there was only a few of us there on Friday Nights when the business travelers were coming back home.(now it's an ant farm).

Some of us would stand together rejecting ride requests until it surged, usually 1.5 to 2.5 times. Other guys thought we were scumbags and thought that was unethical.The most common trip was into a wealthy part of Ct. Those "other guys" where getting $12 to $16 trips and the Zello crowd were getting $24 to $36 for the same trip. As time went by the "other guys" finally had enough of getting the short end of the stick and one by one joined us on Zello!!! 😂. I guess even morals have their price which in their case was about $20! 👍

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
I'm getting back ready to go online this week. Today was a dry run. I have that placard Uber sent that spells out no front seat among other Covid tidbits; even a request to 'tip' your driver. Decided to hang it in there to see what the reaction will be.
Kinda like the no front seat rule since that is where I can put my 'stuff' vs in the cargo area.

the problem today when I sorta went online all the pickups were > 10 minutes and 2 cities away. Ignored them all, then gave up because I hadn't heard from my insurance agent that my RS rider was active as to today.

Tomorrow try again, but this time adjusting my worldview on how far I'm willing to go for PU. For first 3 rides at least there is the $100 bonus that should even out the long pickups.....Maybe?

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Among commission based sales people I've known in my life, the ones that make the most money seem to be the type that go by the motto "rules are for fools". Rule followers, seem to make less in sales. I think with drivers it is similar:
  1. Money driven drivers who believe "rules are for fools" and go for the max money: cash rides, unaccompanied minors, sell items to pax, negotiate "fees", and do whatever makes them money. Long-haulers, shufflers, etc.etc.. Then you have those that are very concerned about following the "rules".
  2. Drivers that are concerned about being deactivated on one hand, and drivers who don't worry about being deactivated.
All depends which type of driver you are. Many are somewhere in the middle. There is nothing a "rule follower" despises more than those who DGF about rules. Makes them crazy.

In the Uber early days you could actually create multiplier surges. At a regional airport outside on NYC there was only a few of us there on Friday Nights when the business travelers were coming back home.(now it's an ant farm).

Some of us would stand together rejecting ride requests until it surged, usually 1.5 to 2.5 times. Other guys thought we were scumbags and thought that was unethical.The most common trip was into a wealthy part of Ct. Those "other guys" where getting $12 to $16 trips and the Zello crowd were getting $24 to $36 for the same trip. As time went by the "other guys" finally had enough of getting the short end of the stick and one by one joined us on Zello!!! 😂. I guess even morals have their price which in their case was about $20! 👍
You are not wrong . They are many drivers with the “ hustler mentality”. How long do they last?
We also have prisions full of people that think they can make their own rules .

In the end , rules that cannot be enforced , are just guidelines . It is up to each of us to determine the risk are we willing to take . Just remember that say:
“ If you want to do the crime , you must be willing to do the time”.
Free will can be a tricky proposition for some. In this case , UBER rules can protect you , if you choose to but if you “ choose “ not to be under that net , just have clear where are you standing
Bottom line, only each of us can determine the risk are we willing to take .

·
Premium Member
22,641 Posts
Uber DGAF

Resolved .png

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I'm getting back ready to go online this week. Today was a dry run. I have that placard Uber sent that spells out no front seat among other Covid tidbits; even a request to 'tip' your driver. Decided to hang it in there to see what the reaction will be.
Kinda like the no front seat rule since that is where I can put my 'stuff' vs in the cargo area.

the problem today when I sorta went online all the pickups were > 10 minutes and 2 cities away. Ignored them all, then gave up because I hadn't heard from my insurance agent that my RS rider was active as to today.

Tomorrow try again, but this time adjusting my worldview on how far I'm willing to go for PU. For first 3 rides at least there is the $100 bonus that should even out the long pickups.....Maybe?
Once you start back they won't send it the next week I'm betting
If you care make sure you do all 3 !!!!

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Once you start back they won't send it the next week I'm betting
no doubt the $100 bonus is a one time thing only sent to drivers who haven't done any rides in months (or even a year). I just have to remember the $100 for the first 3 pings that have longer PU's than I'd normally accept. After that I have to come to Jesus moment and redo what I'll accept as pings.

Getting ones a few minutes away seems to be something in the past for now.:cry:

Reactions: EM1
1 - 20 of 48 Posts