Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two years ago, by sheer luck I made a post about stocking up before the shelves run dry about a week before everyone cleared the shelves of everything from toilet paper to freezers.

This time may be worse. It's not just the pandemic. It's not just the over-stimulation of the economy with helicopter money. It's not just supply chain shortages or people not returning to work. It's not just war or the threat of more war. And it's not just the weather, where countries around the world are reporting record weather events affecting planting and harvesting.

It's all the above. And more.

Time to stock up not only on essentials, but seed for a garden. It's time to start a compost pile because fertilizer may become Unobtanium. It's time to re-think everything and be prepared for an uncertain future.

Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Sky

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
I've said it before, and on these forums: I'm surprised nobody sees it.
All the signs are there.

I'm not so sure that 'stocking up' is going to help though.
I mean, so I have a month's supply of Spam and toilet paper.
Do you think this shits gonna last more than a month?
I do.

Silver is cheap right now, and it stores well, and it may just feed you.
I have a friend who's buying ammo. Any caliber. Just like gold, it can be traded.

Do you know why an oz of whiskey is called a "shot"?
Back in the mid to late 1800's ammo was hard to get.
So, you could trade an oz of rot-gut for a bullet. Just about any caliber would work.
It was called 'a shot'.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I watch this woman on YouTube she was at Costco on Wednesday morning. She said it's never that packed on a Wednesday , it was like black Friday. I already started buying doubles of things like rice , dry beans , etc. Unlike a good portion of this country I'm not on food stamps so I notice every penny.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be careful with dry beans for storage of any length of time. Unlike rice, the beans go bad after a while. Canned beans are a better choice for storing.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The end is near, better start robbing your nearest convenience store before everybody else starts doing the same thing

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Two years ago, by sheer luck I made a post about stocking up before the shelves run dry about a week before everyone cleared the shelves of everything from toilet paper to freezers.

This time may be worse. It's not just the pandemic. It's not just the over-stimulation of the economy with helicopter money. It's not just supply chain shortages or people not returning to work. It's not just war or the threat of more war. And it's not just the weather, where countries around the world are reporting record weather events affecting planting and harvesting.

Time to stock up not only on essentials, but seed for a garden. It's time to start a compost pile because fertilizer may become Unobtanium. It's time to re-think everything and be prepared for an uncertain future.

View attachment 647495
I still have rice and pasta and canned food from 3 years ago it's starting to expire but I did save a bundle by spending $2k on dry goods up front. I think I have a year supply of food currently if things get bad.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've been slowly stocking up on food during the entire pandemic. I have a lot of canned meats and fish and lots of dried beans, rice, and pasta. I also have probably a year worth of good toilet paper. I am currently using up some lower-grade toilet paper I bought during the pandemic when it looked like we might run out and this gas station quality toilet paper was all that was available.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have found from nutritional testing that most foo like that is goo long after the expiry. It's producers covering their a**, and of course their bottom line when food is tossed an repurchased.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Personally, I don't think we're going to have a repeat of the toilet paper panic.

Yes, all the things you mentioned are problem issues. But I don't see them as affecting my ability to get toilet paper, as long as I'm willing to pay the inflated price.

They're serious causes of price increases. But not of shortages, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
But I don't see them as affecting my ability to get toilet paper, as long as I'm willing to pay the inflated price.
Who needs toilet paper ... I don't like people standing behind me anyway.

If inflation gets bad, we can use dollar bills ... probly be cheaper than TP.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
9,232 Posts
Who needs toilet paper ... I don't like people standing behind me anyway.

If inflation gets bad, we can use dollar bills ... probly be cheaper than TP.

True story, between world war 1 and 2 German currency was cheaper to burn for heat that firewood.

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
True story, between world war 1 and 2 German currency was cheaper to burn for heat that firewood.
Yes, the economy got so bad that Hitler rose to power by finding a minority group of people to blame.
For them it was the Jews.
For us it will be ... who ... Mexicans? Russians? Chinese? White people? Black people?
Or just the general "others".

Enjoy life for now folks.
It's gonna change.
In ways you and I can not imagine.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Yes, the economy got so bad that Hitler rose to power by finding a minority group of people to blame.
For them it was the Jews.
For us it will be ... who ... Mexicans? Russians? Chinese? White people? Black people?
Or just the general "others".

Enjoy life for now folks.
It's gonna change.
In ways you and I can not imagine.
The role of bad guy has already been cast. It is Vladimir Putin. Those villainized will be Trump and his supporters because Trump has made pro-Putin statements. This is straight out of the Communism=Bad Capitalism=Good playbook.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts

View attachment 647495
This is a very interesting article about your paranoia

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
The role of bad guy has already been cast. It is Vladimir Putin. Those villainized will be Trump and his supporters because Trump has made pro-Putin statements. This is straight out of the Communism=Bad Capitalism=Good playbook.
Yea, until recently I thought that So. Americans and Mexicans would be the bad guys - and they were.
Things can sure change fast.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally, I don't think we're going to have a repeat of the toilet paper panic.

Yes, all the things you mentioned are problem issues. But I don't see them as affecting my ability to get toilet paper, as long as I'm willing to pay the inflated price.

They're serious causes of price increases. But not of shortages, in my opinion.
You may very well be right! In fact I hope you are. But I buy for two reasons, one of the being inflation. I have room to stock up at today's prices. With dry goods and what not why pay tomorrow's prices when you can lock in at today's prices? The second reason is simply being cautious. Even though there may not be shortages beyond what we already are dealing with, that doesn't necessarily prevent panic shopping. I also filled my freezer yesterday for the same two reasons.

btw, A friend in Idaho who farms told me that he can't get fertilizer anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
Yes. It's gonna get bad.
And, when all this is in full swing "civil unrest" will occur.

There is a very, very thin veneer on civilization. A population misses two or three days of food and things get real, fast.

Stock up on ammo, food, ways to purify water.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts