Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I heard Dan's program about 1-2 months ago about Uber. IMO, he seemed uninformed on the subject and wasn't taking sides. He seemed neutral to me. Perhaps Dan is more up on Uber now and will be more opinionated on it.

A week or two ago, Todd was filling in for Dan and did part of his show on Uber. I tried about 20 times to call in, but always got a busy signal. Todd was very pro Uber. He was urging the legislators to leave Uber alone. Todd felt, with the limited regulations now in effect, Uber was doing a great job filling a need for the citizens. Todd was very anti taxi and challenged the taxi supporters calling in.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Yep I heard that program too, also another radio talk show host Howie Carr on 680 AM in Boston from 3-7 also took a Uber/Lyft side when Cambridge taxi drivers went on strike. He basically said that cabbies who bought medallion made a bad investment and had to deal with that. Kind of true. I feel a bit sorry for taxi drivers but hey, time changing and someone win someone loose.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I feel a bit sorry for taxi drivers but hey, time changing and someone win someone loose.
Taxi drivers are not necessarily the medallion owner. Non medallion owner taxi drivers can go drive for Uber/Lyft if they have a car.

IMO, Medallion owners have made lots of money through their monopoly. And have treated their drivers unfairly, per the Boston Globe report a few years ago.

Like those that owned and operated a Blockbuster Store, it's time to get in another business, or business model.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Taxi drivers are not necessarily the medallion owner. Non medallion owner taxi drivers can go drive for Uber/Lyft if they have a car.

IMO, Medallion owners have made lots of money through their monopoly. And have treated their drivers unfairly, per the Boston Globe report a few years ago.

Like those that owned and operated a Blockbuster Store, it's time to get in another business, or business model.
POST # 5/Golfermack: Would You have
a link to that
Article? Globe Online shortstops me at
5 articles in any 30 day Period. As You
SHOULD know, by now, I'm not lazy
about Research, but I'm far from being
as adroit as chi1cabby or arto71.

Any assistance on this would be greatly
appreciated, John. Thank You.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
9 pm (after news and ads). WBZ 1030 AM. Dan Rea show.

He'll likely have guests and will probably take calls. He's done several shows in the past year on the topic.

He's older, and pro taxi for the most part.

Should be interesting.
POST # 1/Boston Taxi Driver: Bison, here.
Thanks Again for the
Informational "Heads UP!" I'm going to
Task Casuale Haberdasher with finding
out via Telephone Call (if Their
Website is too convoluted) to
WBZ/WRKO. Please, God, Radio
Podcasts take minimal GB from
my Monthly 5GB Verizon Plan.

Keep up the Good Work, I hope to meet
You personally, in Boston, before long.

Bison LOVES a Roadtrip!

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Thanks Again for the

Bison LOVES a Roadtrip!
I don't know what you are saying here, but his radio program is on the net and he LOVES out of state calls.

I listen to him when I'm in FL.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
POST # 5/Golfermack: Would You have
a link to that
Article? Globe Online shortstops me at
5 articles in any 30 day Period. As You
SHOULD know, by now, I'm not lazy
about Research, but I'm far from being
as adroit as chi1cabby or arto71.

Any assistance on this would be greatly
appreciated, John. Thank You.
Here's an article about the article. I'll keep looking for the original article.
https://secure.pqarchiver.com/bosto...startpage=&desc=Menino+orders+review+on+taxis
John

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Thanks Again for the

Bison LOVES a Roadtrip!
Here you go.
https://secure.pqarchiver.com/bosto...+a+world+where+risk+and+reward+are+a+mismatch

John

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

·
25,721 Posts
I can get WBZ on my AM radio down here at night; they have a clear channel.

Someone mentioned something about non-medallion owners and Uber. Does this apply to Uber Taxi (I know that Uber does offer taxis in Boston, as it does here) or something else?

If he loves out of state callers, maybe I should call him. My wireless has a Massachusetts Area Code, which his caller ID might pick up, but I am still in Washington.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks Again for the

Bison LOVES a Roadtrip!
Don't hold your breath, Bison has been coming up here for months!:p

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yep I heard that program too, also another radio talk show host Howie Carr on 680 AM in Boston from 3-7 also took a Uber/Lyft side when Cambridge taxi drivers went on strike. He basically said that cabbies who bought medallion made a bad investment and had to deal with that. Kind of true. I feel a bit sorry for taxi drivers but hey, time changing and someone win someone loose.
Howie Carr is great. 680 though is a weak signal west of Framingham. I haven't tried it recently to see if I can get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts