Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
You say "I don鈥檛 care that I have no insurance so if there鈥檚 an accident I will have to pay your medical bills out of my own pocket along with damage to my car."
Some insurance companies will pay, Geico for example will not. Commercial insurance sounds scary and expensive, it's not and will cover you the best if you wanted to do that.

The question to be answered is: Is it legal?

Premium Member
How do you do this?? I would assume someone would only want to do this on long trips but how do you even start this conversation? 馃
You ask them how much Lyft is charging them and then offer to undercut them for cash or Venmo.

You ignore the people saying you will get in an accident and you think of the thousands of rides you鈥檝e already given with no accident. You drive carefully and enjoy the tax free money.

If you get good at it, you buy the commercial license and commercial insurance and cut the apps out of the picture.

Premium Member
There's no commercial license (there are always exceptions) and you don't need commercial insurance. You need to ask your insurance agent if you are covered if someone pays you direct, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can foresee other possible complications like going out of state.

Anybody want to chime in if it's legal to approach riders this way?

We also know that the apps listen to our conversations. If you want to test it, start talking about being mugged during a ride or other sensitive topics. You will be logged out after the run and asked to provide your DL or SS number to log back in. Or, when you logoff it will ask you about your feeling of safety when driving for Uber/Lyft.

Premium Member
Approaching the pax is legal, but exceeds the TOS in the same way that carrying a defense weapon is legal but exceeds the TOS.
Absolutely ask your insurance agent if claims will be honored if driving for hire off app!
Many insurance companies will even deny claims if you are on app but don鈥檛 have the rideshare waiver, and yes - they check and U/L will rat you out.
Also your insurance can drop you and if they鈥檙e in a bad mood can call a submitted claim insurance fraud.
If your insurance company says it is ok then go for it.
In most if not all states you don鈥檛 need a commercial license or DOT number or commercial plates if you are not carrying more than 8 pax or having a vehicle weight over 10,000 lbs.

The way Minnesota laws are written is scary. By strict definition Door Dash drivers need both a commercial license and a DOT number. I have never heard of this being enforced. IANAL and IANALEO though I have played one on Halloween.

Commercial Motor Carrier Requirements

If you operate any class of vehicle as an employer or employee, you may be subject to commercial motor carrier requirements. This includes driving single unit and combination vehicles of over 10,000 pounds GVW (such as construction vehicles), and vehicles used to deliver packages and other articles. Also included are vehicles designed or used to transport more than eight passengers (including the driver) for compensation. The requirements may include the need to possess a valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examiner's certificate, and restrictions on the number of hours you may drive. There may also be vehicle maintenance, insurance, and inspection requirements.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You ask them how much Lyft is charging them and then offer to undercut them for cash or Venmo.

You ignore the people saying you will get in an accident and you think of the thousands of rides you鈥檝e already given with no accident. You drive carefully and enjoy the tax free money.

If you get good at it, you buy the commercial license and commercial insurance and cut the apps out of the picture.
Thank you for your response. You鈥檙e the only one who actually responded to the question. I think there are many more drivers who do this but it looks like they just won鈥檛 come forward馃檪.

So do you ask before you pick them up or once you鈥檝e arrived at the pick up location? Also do you ever get a no and do you still take them to their destination?

Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
Thank you for your response. You鈥檙e the only one who actually responded to the question. I think there are many more drivers who do this but it looks like they just won鈥檛 come forward馃檪.

So do you ask before you pick them up or once you鈥檝e arrived at the pick up location? Also do you ever get a no and do you still take them to their destination?
I can think of the last 3 times I've been rear ended w pax in the car in the last 18 months and am very glad nobody was injured

Premium Member

When they get in the car. They always say yes. Passengers are pro driver. If they ever say no, I would say fair enough and drive them with no malice. Has not happened yet.

Registered
How do you do this?? I would assume someone would only want to do this on long trips but how do you even start this conversation? 馃
Well a better option would be to try to negotiate an upfront tip, paid in cash and take the trip on the Uber app for the commercial insurance coverage aspect. So the pax pays you more so you can afford to come home, in addition to them paying Uber. However you may run the risk of being in violation of some Uber whatever rule if the pax decides to go hostile on you.

If you have commercial insurance and take a trip "off the meter" your basically a taxi at that point and subject to the rules in the area regarding taxis.

If you don't have commercial insurance in effect and take a trip "off the meter" then get into an accident, you'll be sued by all parties including your pax, your license will likely be revoked until you paid everything off. No more Uber or Lyft or anyone after that, not even driving for a taxi company as you would be on insurance companies no way list.

You have no idea when an accident will occur, you could go 10 years without one and then the next year have three. It's not so much how well you drive, it's the other driver that will trip you up. Driving 70,000 - 100,000 miles a year your bound to increase your chances of being in an accident, with pax off the meter is suicide.

Premium Member
The only time I did it, was legal.
A return trip fee.

The screen said "Long trip" but I accepted the trip anyway.

"What's your name, please?"
"Dorothy" she responded with a smile. "Hope you don't mind if my little dog Toto comes along ..."
"Not at all, I love dogs. I see we're going to Emerald City, by way of The Yellow Brick Road. That's quite a trip. About two hours one way ... about a hundred miles."
"Is that a problem?" she asked.
"Nope. But I do require a fifty cent return trip fee. It pays for some of the gas, wear on the car and my body to get back here. I'll never get a ride out of Emerald City."
Let her think about this for a second, then say "I need that $50 in cash, before we leave town. Do we need to go to an ATM?"
"Oh, I can't just make it a tip?"
I smiled, "You know, some people actually lie to me about that - and don't follow through on their promise. I'm afraid we need that in cash before we leave town. It's company policy. And, listen, if you don't want to you do not have to do this. You can cancel the ride and I'll see to it you don't get charged -- and you can try another driver. Besides that - it's NOT a tip. It is a fee for service. A tip should be added on top of that."

About 80% accept. About 20% are pedestrians.

Now, I would negotiate, I might go down to $40 on that ride ... once a guy looked at my gas guage and asked if a fill up would do the trick. It worked just fine - we went to a service station and he charged a tank of gas. Deal.

I'd rather not work - than work to break even, or worse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only time I did it, was legal.
A return trip fee.

The screen said "Long trip" but I accepted the trip anyway.

"What's your name, please?"
"Dorothy" she responded with a smile. "Hope you don't mind if my little dog Toto comes along ..."
"Not at all, I love dogs. I see we're going to Emerald City, by way of The Yellow Brick Road. That's quite a trip. About two hours one way ... about a hundred miles."
"Is that a problem?" she asked.
"Nope. But I do require a fifty cent return trip fee. It pays for some of the gas, wear on the car and my body to get back here. I'll never get a ride out of Emerald City."
Let her think about this for a second, then say "I need that $50 in cash, before we leave town. Do we need to go to an ATM?"
"Oh, I can't just make it a tip?"
I smiled, "You know, some people actually lie to me about that - and don't follow through on their promise. I'm afraid we need that in cash before we leave town. It's company policy. And, listen, if you don't want to you do not have to do this. You can cancel the ride and I'll see to it you don't get charged -- and you can try another driver. Besides that - it's NOT a tip. It is a fee for service. A tip should be added on top of that."

About 80% accept. About 20% are pedestrians.

Now, I would negotiate, I might go down to $40 on that ride ... once a guy looked at my gas guage and asked if a fill up would do the trick. It worked just fine - we went to a service station and he charged a tank of gas. Deal.

I'd rather not work - than work to break even, or worse.

Oh yours is different. You actually ask them to pay you extra for your return trip, instead of just paying you cash for the whole trip?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts