Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in the middle of Shoreditch and its surging and can't log in. Tried re-starting and resting the network settings...a message came up saying I'd run out of data which I know for a fact I haven't. Feel like heading home now. It's all since the upgrade. Fuming

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using Ubers phone. Had to end up setting up a wireless hotspot on my personal phone and use that to connect my uber phone to a network. Crap eh

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
I'm using Ubers phone. Had to end up setting up a wireless hotspot on my personal phone and use that to connect my uber phone to a network. Crap eh
You should always have the driver app on ur phone for emergencies like last nite

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just download uber driver app on your personnel phone for back up. It happens to me once and I was lucky enough to work through my personnel phone for one day.

I recommend all the drivers to use uber phone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have downloaded it on my personal now. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. You think it's worth just sending back my uber phone and just using my own as I've got 10 gig data allowance? Don't like the fact they raised the price to £5 per week.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you can manage one phone than go for it. Just give a try for one week and see if u can use it without any problem.
Personally speaking, I tried my own phone for couple of days and than switched back to uber's phone it's because I can't be bothered to always check for the job message when I am chatting with someone over the phone.
Don't return your uber phone until you are fully confident with your own phone .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can manage one phone than go for it. Just give a try for one week and see if u can use it without any problem.
Personally speaking, I tried my own phone for couple of days and than switched back to uber's phone it's because I can't be bothered to always check for the job message when I am chatting with someone over the phone.
Don't return your uber phone until you are fully confident with your own phone .
Thanks, was thinking along the lines of that by trying my own for a couple of weeks first b4 I hand the other one back. Also seeing how much data it'll get thru running the uber app and Waze at same time on the same phone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using my phone from start, it's easy to only use one phone, dont know about the date u spend as I have unlimited;), you dont need to check for a job when you talking to you friends, when you get a job the phone will bip or if you running the app (well we all know the ping ping) ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks, was thinking along the lines of that by trying my own for a couple of weeks first b4 I hand the other one back. Also seeing how much data it'll get thru running the uber app and Waze at same time on the same phone.
I've been using my own phone from the beginning and I use around 4gb data, that includes using waze plus personal use.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it works well. Like Burrels said it runs in the background and if your waiting for a job for a long time it will prompt you to stay online after some time. I always keep an eye on it if I wait at an airport however cause sometimes it will just randomly log me out

·
Registered
977 Posts
I used to use uber phone, but because i can use waze on my phone mixed with uber partner so now im using my own for about 2 weeks. Sometimes i can see connection problem dont know why but if any major triuble will happen to my phone always can switch to uber one. I wont give them back their phone till i quit

·
Registered
319 Posts
When switching to your own phone, consider its longevity. Because it can be on for hours at a time it will get very hot. Can't imagine that being too good for the phone.

Also since Uber are changing their price to £5 a week you may want to consider getting a £20/m contract or something. That way you get a new phone with whatever plan you choose. You would have spent that money on the Uber phone anyway. Plus you get your deposit back for returning the Uber phone. I'd say thats better. I am going to be doing this before September hopefully.

I wonder if Uber are increasing their phone rent, so to speak, because they are hoping to weed drivers off of their uber phones?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hi matey, I use my own phone and after a hundred trips I've only used one and a half gb of data and that's after twenty days! I also have 10gb on mine so it would be ample. Save yourself £140 a year!

Reactions: Milesy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Glad it's going well for u WHU Steve-can't believe it's been nearly a month already :-0

Yeah will take my uber phone back. My iphone 6 is a bit battered now anyway so not too worried about it getting overheated and breaking down as I've got insurance and a spare phone just incase.

At the induction they didn't really seem to want to push their own phones and got the feeling they'd prefer us using our own ones. To save money maybe on the purchase of them? I'm guessing they're worth more than £150 but don't know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Lets step into the realm of conspiracy and speculation...

It has long been suspected that Uber spy on you. And that their apps have characteristics of malware.

Considering this there would not be much to spy on the Uber provided phone. Your own personal phone however... Photos, contacts, texts, emails, calls, home ip when connected to wifi, and a whole bunch of other things.

So maybe they are more keen to push for you to use your own device.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts