Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber driver charged with sexual battery

By Kristi King | @KingWTOPAugust 6, 2015 1:49 pm
WASHINGTON - An Uber driver is charged with misdemeanor sexual battery after an alleged assault in Prince William County last month.

Mengistu Asfaw - a 58-year-old of Annandale - is accused of groping a woman's bosom over her clothes after dropping her off at her home on York Drive in Woodbridge, Virginia.

Related Stories

The alleged 24-year-old victim tells police it happened early Sunday, July 12 after she used the Uber app to get a ride home from Clarendon.

The driver was a partner on D.C.'s uberX platform, and his account was immediately deactivated upon learning of the arrest, said Uber Spokesman Taylor Bennett in an email.

"The driver partner's access to the Uber platform has been permanently removed, and we continue to investigate the incident. We have reached out to the rider to offer our support and stand ready to assist the authorities," Bennett said in an email to WTOP.

Prince William County police investigators say information from the woman's Uber app assisted their search for Asfaw.

In a separate case that may involve an Uber driver, Arlington County Police still are looking for a man accused of sexual assault in Arlington about 4 a.m. last Sunday.

The 29-year-old woman says she was attacked after her ride from D.C. to Alcova Heights when she couldn't pay cash.

It happened in the 900 block of South Randolph Street which is near the intersection of Columbia Pike and South George Mason Drive.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was another driver who was accused and in the end the charges were dropped (after a long time) due to the fact he had a dash cam that captured something to help him. There was another girl there , says she didn't witness, but just a reminder to be cautious. And never get out of the car after when someone of opposite sex is there. Better safe , than sorry.

·
25,721 Posts
That's why I never get out my car.
There was another girl there , says she didn't witness, but just a reminder to be cautious. And never get out of the car after when someone of opposite sex is there. Better safe , than sorry.
.............the above is sound advice. NEVER mix it up with a passenger. It might feel good at the time, it might be nice as you sit at home sipping on a beer and puffing on a stogie as you bask in the afterglow.............but then, there is the knock at the door, the Sheriff's Deputies are there..............and the next thing that you know, Bubba is smiling that ear-to-ear smile as he motions you toward him with his index finger and that awful feeling in your stomach begins to..........................

Reactions: LA#1x3

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
(dont know if he is guilty or not) but ordered my two way dash cam. it cant come soon enough. i want proof if im ever accused then i will sue the female pax as well as assist in her arrest for a false report.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
I just hope the woman is telling the truth. In the first case, there was a woman right next to her who said she didnt see the groping.
So its a he say she say thing. If he did it, he should suffer the consequences. If he didnt, some type of charges should be filed against her

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
Oh thought the pick-up might have been at Duke University.
Stay in your car, hand on the wheel eyes on the road...put taxi cab confessions out of your mind.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
(dont know if he is guilty or not) but ordered my two way dash cam. it cant come soon enough. i want proof if im ever accused then i will sue the female pax as well as assist in her arrest for a false report.
Slander and character defamation.

Reactions: Emp9

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
1. Pickup in Clarendon
2. Late Saturday night or early Sunday morning
3. 20-something females

Veteran DC Uber drivers know these are three strikes right there. This was bound to blow up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need to get a voice recorder and just play it during my shift.

Edit: actually found one that I used during college lectures. Just say the date and time before you record before the shift starts

The voice never lies. It is way cheaper than a dash cam since you cant really record you and the pax with it since it will face the street.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I need to get a voice recorder and just play it during my shift.

Edit: actually found one that I used during college lectures. Just say the date and time before you record before the shift starts

The voice never lies. It is way cheaper than a dash cam since you cant really record you and the pax with it since it will face the street.
Phone has an as app for voice recording.
Dash cams can be turn around to face any way you want it.

·
25,721 Posts
The Police arrested an Uber driver in Dallas/Fort Worth recently for similar. It seems that this guy has at least one previous. Uber admitted that it did not do a background check on him because he submitted a Dallas TNC licence, something that is required down there. Dallas does a background check on all applicants for that licence, so, when Uber saw the licence, it did not do a background check on the driver.

It turned out that the licence was counterfeit, but Uber did not know how to tell a counterfeit licence.

A couple of things with this one:

1. My first affiliation with Uber was Uber Taxi. At the time, at least, (I do not know about now), Uber was not doing background checks on D.C. Taxi drivers affiliating with Uber Taxi, because Uber knew that we were subject to an F.B.I. background and fingerprint check. Uber was aware, also, that we had to submit a Police clearance from D.C. and the home state (if resident of suburbs) with every renewal application. Be that as it may, when I signed up for UberX a little over one year later, Uber insisted that I submit to its background check, even though it was aware that I held a D.C. hack licence, thus already had been checked out by the F.B.I. If Uber had to have me checked out despite the existence of a clean F.B.I. report, why did it not do its own checking of each applicant in Dallas, despite the Dallas Police check?

2. When I was a Company Official, every driver who wanted to paint in or rent had to come to the office. He had to submit a driving record, his driver's licence and hack licence. All of the above were copied and placed into his personnel file. A Company Official had to interview him. If anything seemed fishy, the Company Official would call the Hack Office and make sure that this guy actually had a hack licence. The Hack Office was actually glad that we did this. We turned away more than one who had a counterfeit hack face. We did not always call, and , indeed some did get by us. Every once in a while we would get a call from the Hack Office to ask about this or that driver. If informed that the guy did not really have a licence, we had the copy at the ready. The Hack Office seemed to understand that we could not call on everyone who came through the door. As long as we had a copy of a hack face, the Hack Office did not give us too much trouble. If we learned of an illegal driver, we would move quickly to get the rental car back or tell the Police where they could find the car, if it were the driver's car. Still, the interview allowed us to keep out more than one illegal. I wonder if a policy of interviewing every driver could have prevented this. Yes, I know, a physical interview is so twentieth century, but there is a reason that some things never go out of style.

If people are already counterfeiting Certificates, what else can or will they counterfeit? A physical interview might catch a few of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts