Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday afternoon, I was in the Yonge & Eglinton area. I got an XL ping from a 4.95 rated pax. So I was like "Great!". Without hesitation, I clicked Accept. I pulled up to their real location after a small session of texting back and forth since they weren't at where the Uber app was sending me. I had to go pick them up one block south of where I was sent to. Anyways, I met them, just a couple, lady and a semi-paralyzed man - well dressed. Lady sat with me in the shotgun while he was in the back.

The conversation was going fine until a few minutes later.

While going down Moore Ave from Mt Pleasant towards Bay St, a cyclist was unusually close towards the lane. Usually, most lanes can fit a cyclist and a car. I tried to pass him by leaning the left a little to make it safer as no car is coming on the opposite lane anyway.

Lady: Wait wait! Don't pass him. Just stay behind. You might hit him.

*then out of the blue*

Lady: I'm a driver too, you know.

Me: So am I (while smiling).

Wasted my chance and I was behind this cyclist until Bay St (as I was at 20-25 kph).

*While going north on Bay St.*

Me: By the way, you said you're a driver. Do you mean as in Uber driver?

Lady: What? Me? Pfft... Come on (she had that eye rolling face). No no. I'll never drive Uber or Taxi.

I was so confused after that response of hers. I wanted to ask "Why is that?" but didn't even feel like I needed to ask anymore.

Is being an Uber driver seen as a low class gig of some sort?

·
Premium Member
6,960 Posts
On Friday afternoon, I was in the Yonge & Eglinton area. I got an XL ping from a 4.95 rated pax. So I was like "Great!". Without hesitation, I clicked Accept. I pulled up to their real location after a small session of texting back and forth since they weren't at where the Uber app was sending me. I had to go pick them up one block south of where I was sent to. Anyways, I met them, just a couple, lady and a semi-paralyzed man - well dressed. Lady sat with me in the shotgun while he was in the back.

While going down Moore Ave from Mt Pleasant towards Bay St, a cyclist was unusually close towards the lane. Usually, most lanes can fit a cyclist and a car. I tried to pass him by leaning the left a little to make it safer as no car is coming on the opposite lane anyway.

*then out of the blue*

Wasted my chance and I was behind this cyclist until Bay St (as I was at 20-25 kph).

Lady: What? Me? Pfft... Come on (she had that eye rolling face). No no. I'll never drive Uber or Taxi.

I was so confused after that response of hers. I wanted to ask "Why is that?" but didn't even feel like I needed to ask anymore.

Maybe or maybe

·
Banned
2,822 Posts

*then out of the blue*

Should have asked her if she was a felon

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
Being an Uber driver is said in the same breath as a taxi driver and the funny part is 60% of the paxholes who ride with us makes half or even lass than what we or the taxi drivers make but they don’t know it or they pretend that way. It’s like a McDonald’s guy going to a flashy restaurant to impress his girl and pushing around the waiter there who earns 3 times as much as him.
I had a guy from Taco Bell in the car the other day and he wanted to know how much I make every week and when I said around 1200-1400 working 40-45hrs, he was like WTF. He was a manager and still making only 17.5$ which is like almost half of what I would make on an average week.

Long story short, I view these low level paxholes with pity when they get into the car with their demands and laugh within at their ignorance and then give them a one star with a report.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
I would definitely say that this perception is out there. There isn't that much of a barrier to becoming an Uber driver besides having a good driving record with a decent background. There are zero education/experience requirements involved.

Pax know that they are paying cheap rates to get them from Point A to Point B compared to other options, and the only conclusion to that fact is that drivers are receiving low compensation for such work.

I'm sure pax would therefor see drivers who freely sign up for this type of work as low class. And its obvious that your particular pax looks down on those who she considers to be low class, just as I'm sure many other pax do.

djino

1 - 20 of 38 Posts