Uber Drivers Forum banner

Does this site suck these days?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Well...the income sucks....therefore....

·
Registered
528 Posts
The NJ sub forum has changed. Some of the key participants have scaled back on the volume of postings or have disappeared from the scene.

In the days of high rates and frequent surge, the attitude was generally positive here as many were doing well from a financial perspective.
Fast
forward to today after a succession of rate cuts and disappearing surge combined with a massive influx of ants, the mood has gradually changed from mostly happy to somewhat sad as the percent of drivers that make good coin has decreased since the good ol days. It is sometimes depressing to read through the negativity here. Perhaps that is why some perceive it to 'suck' here.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Since I started being a little more active here I've noticed a few things not generally tolerated on well moderated forums:

1) Being unkind or berating a noob doing their first post.
2) Disbelieving a drivers story because it is highly unusual. (Think about it, if it was a normal ride you would never hear about it)
3) Posting about something that's already been covered. Use the search first and do your research. If no luck, then post.

Maybe a few other things but these are the ones I think are important.

In general there is little solidarity here.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
When I started stalking this forum over 2 years ago it was much different. I liked it and I joined it just to learn from other people who already lived the life. People like Lepke, who back then was the voice of reason and also a fountain of good information. But even back then there were clowns in the audience, so I learned how to use the ignore filter and still got the most of this forum. As far as today's forum and members, not too much has changed. I currently have about 20 posters in my filter, which makes the forum run much smoother in my opinion. There are less speed bumps when you repave the way with a filter. And yes, we happen to have some of the best folks in here, who really know how to make $$ at this gig. UberWhoIam comes quickly to mind. This is a guy who is never reluctant to help out any driver who takes the time to PM him and to ask for his help. This I know first hand because he has helped me on occasion, and yes after 2 years of this gig, I still have things to learn. There are many more good guys here than most people know because they get tripped up by the nimrod society members, which makes it hard to read. To the OP, maybe if you took more time trying to help some drivers instead of berating them, you too might gain some appreciation for this forum as well. PS, you don't know me, but I know you, and am not a fan. Big shot got a bus stop moved.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What happened to this site? It really seems to suck these days....
I noticed myself, reading other forums how much more pleasant and open people are in their replies. This is 100% the nastiest forum on UP. An easy fix would be to break it down from all of NJ to major cities. A lot of the hostility seems to be Shore related. If a different area had double the rates, and the table was turned, you would see the same hostility there. It should die down now until May, but it will be back.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
What happened to this site? It really seems to suck these days....
What happened is that overall enthusiasm has dropped! Gone are the big surges and $400.00 daily revenues. Most on the board don't know those days. It is really hard now to make a buck as an Uber driver. Riders duck surges or Uber is keeping them. The brash cocky Uber drivers are no more and that's what you're sensing. In the old days half the posts were about getting tickets in Hoboken and EWR for illegal operation if a taxi and deactivation for low acceptance rates. None of those occur anymore. This is just hard work now and may get worse. The days of the Wild West and exiting $600.00 days are over.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
All forums wind up with ppl who whine about everything - I don't think it's any worse than it was. I do think the successful people are generally not posting here anymore but just lurking once in a while because they're busy being successful and have said what they need to say. So the successful contributors have left and the largely unsuccessful people not surprisingly have 2 hrs a day to spend here complaining instead of improving their situation.

You can have 3 yrs of experience in which you grew, learned, adapted, innovated and prospered or you can have 3 yrs of experience where you just repeated what you did the 1st month 36 times. Then come on here and blame everyone but yourself - it's Uber, it's the Shore, it's the NYC drivers, it's the PA drivers, it's the pax, it's the app...

Dara's 1st day today - he has promised immediate changes - let's watch and quickly learn.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
All forums wind up with ppl who whine about everything - I don't think it's any worse than it was. I do think the successful people are generally not posting here anymore but just lurking once in a while because they're busy being successful and have said what they need to say. So the successful contributors have left and the largely unsuccessful people not surprisingly have 2 hrs a day to spend here complaining instead of improving their situation.

You can have 3 yrs of experience in which you grew, learned, adapted, innovated and prospered or you can have 3 yrs of experience where you just repeated what you did the 1st month 36 times. Then come on here and blame everyone but yourself - it's Uber, it's the Shore, it's the NYC drivers, it's the PA drivers, it's the pax, it's the app...

Dara's 1st day today - he has promised immediate changes - let's watch and quickly learn.
You have nailed it with this reply! I fully agree with you, the older, smarter drivers do not post as often, but the intent is still here. There is plenty of good advice in this forum to be found, but it can be like searching for a needle in a haystack because of the background noise. Much like channel 19 in the olden days, the noise gets pretty loud. I am a strong advocate of the ignore filter, it blocks out the noisiest posters, but it also blocks them when they actually may add something of some importance. The price I pay to enjoy this place.

BTW, this forum does not need more moderators, Brian does an excellent job in here. He does not have too heavy a hand in disciplining when things get out of hand. We should be commending him rather than insulting him with that request. IMHO (side note: I do not know Brian in any way shape or form, so save the flame)

·
Registered
514 Posts
because we have idiots who post their earnings on the few days they actually make a good buck and it makes more people sign up to drive or come to that area. nobody posts the shitty nights which maybe we should start doing
When the only criteria for a job is having a car, insurance, no driving blemishes, the field is wide open. Now that fall is here, the next two months will put the seed of doubt in many an ants head, young and old, vet or beginner, why and how do I do this.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
When the only criteria for a job is having a car, insurance, no driving blemishes, the field is wide open. Now that fall is here, the next two months will put the seed of doubt in many an ants head, young and old, vet or beginner, why and how do I do this.
One other thing that baffles the crap out of me is there is no interview process. A simple kiosk in a mall could screen out some of the nimrods I see sporting the Goober decal. Maybe even make the potential drivers get on a video arcade driving simulation (not the high end stuff but maybe a knock off of GTA) and see if they even know what a steering wheel or turn signals are used for. I can not tell you how many pox have gotten in my car and thanked me for being an American, then they regale me with horror stories of bad drivers, worse driving skills and the best: getting hit on by drivers. It amazes me that the brand has gotten such a bad name from the very top to the very bottom. If anything, the driver is the one who represents the brand on a daily basis, we are the only thing that the pox see as Goober, yet they allow the worst of the worst represent us. Bad enough that the former CEO was King Horn Dog, but maybe Dara will begin to right this ship in this regard.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I rarely post as often as I used to. Way too many whiners who blame everyone else because they don't know how to switch up their game to be profitable. I hate it when a noob gets his butt handed to him/her because they post what they thought was a good ride. I've become more of a lurker here than an actual participant. I've put a few haters on ignore too.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.