Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Here is my yearly rant for 2017:

I have a couple of concerns about uber and our thoughts on it. Just my feelings, not based on any facts. I feel in some ways uber can be a disservice to us. A lot more people are doing this fulltime and leasing cars and there is something I want you to give some thought too. While we are driving, we can become complacent in these jobs and stop looking for other full time employment that can be available or looking to grow/learn skills via school or other ways. We are just taking this job but do we have a plan for the future? Sure it looks nice to bring home 1000 after 60-70 hours a week of driving but that is considering that you are not contributing to taxes at this point, 401ks or pensions, medical benefits, and other things to invest in yourself and your future. If something was to happen to your car, do you have a plan on what's next? I have seen many times where people were out of luck and had zero money when that happened with no money coming in. They couldn't afford to repair the car, the deductible or get a new lease. We are all working for a company that major plan is to replace us with automatic cars in the near future. I'm just advising to use this opportunity to go back to school or learn a trade. Really take take time and look for work. See this as a short term opportunity. I didn't think that this job is a long term answer and I would hate to see people depend on this income and uber cuts rates and you are screwed. Have a back up plan. Think about the future instead of just right now. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
60-70 hours for 1000$ a week before gas, depreciation ane upkeep? While putting your life at risk and while being on the hook for a lawsuit of you crash? Wow your standards are low. Uber loves you long time. Bend over and get the lube out

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have a couple of concerns about uber and our thoughts on it. Just my feelings, not based on any facts. I feel in some ways uber can be a disservice to us. A lot more people are doing this fulltime and leasing cars and there is something I want you to give some thought too. While we are driving, we can become complacent in these jobs and stop looking for other full time employment that can be available or looking to grow/learn skills via school or other ways. We are just taking this job but do we have a plan for the future? Sure it looks nice to bring home 1000 after 60-70 hours a week of driving but that is considering that you are not contributing to taxes at this point, 401ks or pensions, medical benefits, and other things to invest in yourself and your future. If something was to happen to your car, do you have a plan on what's next? I have seen many times where people were out of luck and had zero money when that happened with no money coming in. They couldn't afford to repair the car, the deductible or get a new lease. We are all working for a company that major plan is to replace us with automatic cars in the near future. I'm just advising to use this opportunity to go back to school or learn a trade. Really take take time and look for work. See this as a short term opportunity. I didn't think that this job is a long term answer and I would hate to see people depend on this income and uber cuts rates and you are screwed. Have a back up plan. Think about the future instead of just right now. Just my thoughts.
It's

It's

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

Thank you, bnerdy!

That's the way Uber designed it (for part-timers/temps only). They've covered their a** by carefully crafting the words in everything they put out there. Yes, they're profiting off of people without critical thinking skills. It appears that's part of human nature (greed).

·
Registered
482 Posts

I had always used my own personal car for ubering. Never lease and never made car payments. The car I have is paid off so the money I earn goes all to myself. I had paid little to no taxes after deductibles.

If something were to happen to my car, I would umm, idk, suck it up? What's gonna happens if I get laid off when I have bills that are due? Same thing. I know the risk is there but I am willing to accept the consequences if I were to seriously mess up.

I'm going to school full-time and my schedule changes very frequently (studying, final exams, club meetings, etc) so I need a job where I can simply work whenever I could.

Yes I admit, Uber is not the best job in the world, but it provides everything I need as a student with no skills. Btw I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am just stating my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I had always used my own personal car for ubering. Never lease and never made car payments. The car I have is paid off so the money I earn goes all to myself. I had paid little to no taxes after deductibles.

If something were to happen to my car, I would umm, idk, suck it up? What's gonna happens if I get laid off when I have bills that are due? Same thing. I know the risk is there but I am willing to accept the consequences if I were to seriously mess up.

I'm going to school full-time and my schedule changes very frequently (studying, final exams, club meetings, etc) so I need a job where I can simply work whenever I could.

Yes I admit, Uber is not the best job in the world, but it provides everything I need as a student with no skills. Btw I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am just stating my thoughts.
Yea you could say the same thing about how any job you need a plan b, plan c, plan d, etc..

Look at the 08 recession. People that thought they had a secure job got laid off and suffered. Nothing is fully secure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea you could say the same thing about how any job you need a plan b, plan c, plan d, etc..

Look at the 08 recession. People that thought they had a secure job got laid off and suffered. Nothing is fully secure.
I agree but many were at least able to get unemployment. I also remember, because of the circumstances, that unemployment was extended to over a year to help people get back on their feet. Do you get unemployment if something was to happen with uber?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What you are doing is exactly what I'm explaining. You are in school. That is your plan. You are not being complacent in this job and you are actively working on building your future. I think that's great.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
What's the long term plan for someone that works fast food? Or basic retail? Or buses tables?

Uber is not mean to be a full time job, nor a long term job. While there are many ways people use Uber, as a driver, as full time revenue... I feel the natural way is as a part time endeavor to make extra cash on days you would otherwise be either wasting on the couch or out spending money. The ones struggling the most are the ones trying to make Uber a full time job.

You should always be looking to better yourself and your situation, I hope that those of you that are in between jobs find a long term solutions for their financial life. I know Uber stresses me out, while I do believe I earn well with Uber, I can't wait until the day I no longer need to work so hard for my money. I'm an equity partner in a startup, we break even each year but we're still well in the growing phase of the business. 2017 may be the year we break out and start really earning, in which case I can retire my Uber account...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the long term plan for someone that works fast food? Or basic retail? Or buses tables?

Uber is not mean to be a full time job, nor a long term job. While there are many ways people use Uber, as a driver, as full time revenue... I feel the natural way is as a part time endeavor to make extra cash on days you would otherwise be either wasting on the couch or out spending money. The ones struggling the most are the ones trying to make Uber a full time job.

You should always be looking to better yourself and your situation, I hope that those of you that are in between jobs find a long term solutions for their financial life. I know Uber stresses me out, while I do believe I earn well with Uber, I can't wait until the day I no longer need to work so hard for my money. I'm an equity partner in a startup, we break even each year but we're still well in the growing phase of the business. 2017 may be the year we break out and start really earning, in which case I can retire my Uber account...
That's easy, my career is in food service. Long term plan was to get promoted, get benefits and and goood pay. Plenty of opportunity for growth in most jobs. So working even fast food, you build up your resume with experiences to continue to get you better jobs. My argument is that uber doesn't offer much in the long term. So hustle hard with rideshare but also do something to better yourself.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
That's easy, my career is in food service. Long term plan was to get promoted, get benefits and and goood pay. Plenty of opportunity for growth in most jobs. So working even fast food, you build up your resume with experiences to continue to get you better jobs. My argument is that uber doesn't offer much in the long term. So hustle hard with rideshare but also do something to better yourself.
Yes, people should follow their passion. Consider that having your own business and doing contracting work could lead to a sweet job offer. It shows initiative and other vital skill-sets that are required for jobs with responsibility. It also could prepare you to start another, more substantial business adventure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.