Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
New here. But thinking about making the leap. Nothing but stressed out and major anxiety at my job and love doing uber. I know full time can be worth it but is there any tips from anyone in the Akron Cleveland area that would help?

Would love to know if anyone else has done this and how they are managing

·
Premium Member
12,198 Posts
Hey guys!
New here. But thinking about making the leap. Nothing but stressed out and major anxiety at my job and love doing uber. I know full time can be worth it but is there any tips from anyone in the Akron Cleveland area that would help?

Would love to know if anyone else has done this and how they are managing
Uber is a side hustle. That should tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not my girlfriend best friend lol. And okay that is a thing then well thank you. Always thought if I could pull around a 100 a day and did 5 or 6 days a week I would match what I make at my current job if not more. But thanks for the input guys

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Not my girlfriend best friend lol. And okay that is a thing then well thank you. Always thought if I could pull around a 100 a day and did 5 or 6 days a week I would match what I make at my current job if not more. But thanks for the input guys
You would be much better off getting even a part time shift at Starbucks along with health benefits rather than just quitting your current job to drive Uber. As others have said here more bluntly, Uber is a terrific side gig.

Generating $1,200 a week in earnings with Uber means income of maybe around $800 before income taxes. And that would be $800 a week with no benefits and and would take between 65 and 75 hours a week to generate. Driving that much you will wear out your car Within two years max and will not have generated enough income to be able to replace it. That means you will be out both your car and your job.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I hope I don't come across as an ass, but I want to be very clear with my message. Find ANY job you can stomach with benefits and do Uber/Lyft/Flex/doordash or any other "gig" on the side. The first time someone pukes in your car, assaults you, robs you, you get deactivated over some BS made up complaint or your car is in an accident or breaks down and you need $1500 or more to fix it and you can't earn $$ because you can't drive you will re-examine EVERY SINGLE decision you have ever made that brought you to the point where you thought doing Uber/Lyft full time was not only a good idea, but a long term financial solution. Are there drivers doing this full time and making great money? Sure, but they are in the minority, and they have a system in place to manage their repair costs, or they do at least some of the work themselves. Uber/Lyft can be a GREAT part time gig. Be smart, don't kill your car over the next 1-2 years just to get by. Sign up for some part time classes or learn trade if you feel burned out at your job. Union halls all over Ohio are looking for apprentices. I work for a large construction company and the lowest paid guy pushing a wheelbarrow or pulling wire is making about $40 an hour with benefits after 3-4 years and has GOOD benefits and an actual retirement plan. (Yes,these jobs still exist) Full disclosure, I am NOT a 'Union Man" I am on the "other side of the fence" but I see plenty of guys working their 40 and being able to provide for themselves, their families and their future without needing a degree. Bottom line, Uber won't save you....find a REAL job, ANY job you like r at least can stand until you find one you DO like.

That 4-$500 after gas won't seem like much when you need $600 tires, and $1000 or more in suspensionand brake work in 6 months. If you cant set aside $50-$100 a week for repairs you honestly aren't making anywhere near enough to consider this a full time solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I made the leap in January, but was also trying insurance sales. Turns out I liked Lyft more. It can be worth it if you don't have a lot of expenses and debt. Highly recommend 3-6 months of savings and probably a car replacement fund before starting. I earn around $800/week putting in 40 hours (not actual driving hours). Yes, having a side gig helps in case you're not able to drive anymore. Lyft and Uber will side with passengers if there's a complaint.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I drove a former driver (got deactivated for weed smell) who told me to get LLC for about $150, then everything can be tax write off. Anyone have experience with this?
Unless you have other business endeavors that would benefit from Incorporation, it is absolutely not worth forming an LLC just to do rideshare. You can already deduct either your actual business expenses or the standard mileage. There is absolutely no advantage to forming an LLC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts