Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the skinny:

Los Angeles based. Would be driving part time. Just looking for advice on which level of car type ( X, XL, Select, SUV ) you would buy if you had the opportunity to do so based on your driving experiences. Do X's wish they were XL, or Select etc. ?

Thank you, Billy Zoom

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hmm, if you want to do this PT (sporadically) it's good for extra cash, heck FT's can make good cash also if they now the tricks but the fact that you are going invest in a car just to do this is scary on your end.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Here is the skinny:

Los Angeles based. Would be driving part time. Just looking for advice on which level of car type ( X, XL, Select, SUV ) you would buy if you had the opportunity to do so based on your driving experiences. Do X's wish they were XL, or Select etc. ?

Thank you, Billy Zoom
I recommend a new Tesla model X:

https://www.tesla.com/modelx

You can drive XL *AND* LUX, and when you realize there's not enough business out there and you have to start taking POOL rides, you can activate the XMAS easter egg to try to knock all the drive-thru French fries out of your back seat.

PS: Enjoy. This thread only goes downhill from here.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd get a suburban. Since you're only doing it part time, you'll be able to maximize your time by accepting only pool requests and fitting as many people in there as you can. Think about how many people a bus picks up a day!! Follow that mentality and you'll be raking in the big bucks. Good luck my friend.

p.s. - don't let the negativity get to you. There are people on here who will discourage you from doing pool because they want the rides for themselves. #YouCanDoIt #MUGA

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
It's Sunday. Slow day for the forum. Everyone is out doing Sunday Scramble to try to meet ridiculous quest bonus goals. If this thread isn't on page 4 by Monday it will get more responses... unless everyone realizes that obvious troll is obvious. ;)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Here is the skinny:

Thank you, Billy Zoom
Oh dear, are you crazy posting something like this here? You're going to get mauled... and rightfully so, too. Meaning, if you've read anything at all around here you'll make - at best - 15/hr, which, of course, after expenses it's minimum wage, if you are lucky and your car doesn't break. Now, you have to think you'd be new at this (I'm guessing), so for the first two or three months you'd be making maybe 10/hr, which of course mean 5/hr net.
Do you REALLY want to buy a car based on this gig?

Best advice you could ever get:
Hmm, if you want to do this PT (sporadically) it's good for extra cash, heck FT's can make good cash also if they now the tricks but the fact that you are going invest in a car just to do this is scary on your end.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Horse and buggy. Lots of hay. Or you can go lower end Ass and a cart. Either way good luck.
I agree, a horse drawn carriage is one of the best investments as far as uber goes. Definitely get a two horse in case one of them pops a tire. Charriot would do well if you need distance and speed.

Think about it, unlimited mpg, no oil changes or insurance, scant competition. You cant lose!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not trolling, -and everyone's situation is different. Would not be buying the car strictly for Uber purposes. The wife kinda wants a new car for the family and there are only 3 of us. That car can be: economy, mid size, mini van or something larger. I plan to do some ride sharing with it, but it will not be full time. I have several cars but none of them qualify (too old) to drive for uber lol. If it does suck as bad as everyone really says it does, I will drive uber as long as I need to, - pay the car off and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
It seems like you wont believe us until you've tried it out. Before you sign up, let ur wife sign up first. Then have her refer you so you'd both benefit from the new driver bonus. The car you get must be fuel efficient and buy a cheap one that meets the requirement. If you're like me and 99% of other Uber drivers on the road, then a Prius would be your safest bet. I've never driven xl so i'll defer that part to those who do.

Reactions: randrace

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Not trolling, -and everyone's situation is different. Would not be buying the car strictly for Uber purposes. The wife kinda wants a new car for the family and there are only 3 of us. That car can be: economy, mid size, mini van or something larger. I plan to do some ride sharing with it, but it will not be full time. I have several cars but none of them qualify (too old) to drive for uber lol. If it does suck as bad as everyone really says it does, I will drive uber as long as I need to, - pay the car off and be done with it.
By the time you are done with payoff you will need another car .. Good Luck!

·
Registered
404 Posts
If it's going to be your family car also then you might end up spending more on it than you should pay for a car to Uber with.

That's what I did, and as everyone here will tell you, it's not a great financial decision. You're shortening the life span of the vehicle by racking up all those extra miles. I do like the comfort of having all my maintenance handled by the dealership, though.

Also, double the price of your car insurance if you are going to do this right and want to get the necessary insurance to be covered in the case of an accident. I use Mercury.

And a dash cam is essential, if you ask me. I paid $150 for mine. No complaints. Has dual-facing cameras so you're covered front and back.

I'd say get the oldest possible Prius you can still drive on the UberX platform, but keep in mind that they update vehicle requirements every year so (for example) a 2011 might be good for this year, but might be phased out by next year.

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
The OPtimus uber would agree!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts