Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So unfortunately i'm in a position that i will more then likely lose my 8-5 that I've work for the last 14 years, while job hunting my plan is to uber as much as i can to try to make enough to support a family of 5. Now please only logical replies, Plus/select drivers is there any advise you can give me? Times, location, one, two or three shifts......nights or days. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I also drive X and XL from time to time, I know that this info is mostly obtained from experience, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. PM's are ok

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it's best if you do two shifts. Morning and night. Probably 4am to 10am and 7pm to close.

As far as locations. Just stay in LA. Specific? I don't think nobody wants to give away their honey holes.

Don't just drive mindlessly around waiting for a ping. After a drop off try not to drive too much. Park it in a good location (away from other uber drivers by looking at the rider app).

I say read threads in the LA and OC forum. It goes into detail about Uberpool, surges, ratings, etc...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
So unfortunately i'm in a position that i will more then likely lose my 8-5 that I've work for the last 14 years, while job hunting my plan is to uber as much as i can to try to make enough to support a family of 5. Now please only logical replies, Plus/select drivers is there any advise you can give me? Times, location, one, two or three shifts......nights or days. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I also drive X and XL from time to time, I know that this info is mostly obtained from experience, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. PM's are ok
Are you able to run as select/XL at the same time with no X?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here is the most important logical reply; you will be spending a lot more time away from your family, you will need to be lucky to make good money consistently, you can be fired from Uber at any moment for w/e reason, if you do nights then it'll only be a matter of time before someone pukes and ends your shift on the spot.
This is the most important thing; if you get into an accident, you will be completely ****ed. Don't drive Uber with the mindset that you are covered, drive Uber with the understanding that your insurance WILL drop you once they learn you drive Uber; disregard if you actually have TNC insurance.
To provide for your family on Uber, you will need to be online 80% of the week, and even then, that may not be enough. The point is, you will have little to no time to find a sustainable job if you're spending most of your time trying to make a living on Uber.

I don't know what you're going through man, I'm sure it's tough, but what I do know is that Uber is a dead end; if you dedicate yourself to them, you MAY make enough to get by, but you will never be able to leave them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I kind of have to agree, unless your goal is livery. To be successful in this environment takess an inordinate amount of time and effort. If driving is not your goal, your efforts would before fruitful In almost any other enterprise.

Here is the most important logical reply; you will be spending a lot more time away from your family, you will need to be lucky to make good money consistently, you can be fired from Uber at any moment for w/e reason, if you do nights then it'll only be a matter of time before someone pukes and ends your shift on the spot.
This is the most important thing; if you get into an accident, you will be completely ****ed. Don't drive Uber with the mindset that you are covered, drive Uber with the understanding that your insurance WILL drop you once they learn you drive Uber; disregard if you actually have TNC insurance.
To provide for your family on Uber, you will need to be online 80% of the week, and even then, that may not be enough. The point is, you will have little to no time to find a sustainable job if you're spending most of your time trying to make a living on Uber.

I don't know what you're going through man, I'm sure it's tough, but what I do know is that Uber is a dead end; if you dedicate yourself to them, you MAY make enough to get by, but you will never be able to leave them.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I do too. But with the amount of time and effort I put into it, I could have built a spacecraft out of the crap in the garage. Even with driving as a goal, I have spent more on uber commissions than a TCP license with commercial insurance and all aiport permits would have cost.
Actually I did the math it's about 75% but even at that in really don't spend TONS of time doing Uber. I've actually only gone over 40 hours once. But I do put a lot of work into ubering even when I'm not driving.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
XL/select would be a good combo, and leave time for other ventures during the day. I see no reason for uber to resist. I would put maximum effort into getting this done. Then get some regulars at your start time and location and build from there

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
XL/select would be a good combo, and leave time for other ventures during the day. I see no reason for uber to resist. I would put maximum effort into getting this done. Then get some regulars at your start time and location and build from there
I like the idea of XL/Select. Very much like the SUV guys do it by running SUV/Black.

A quick look at the latest qualifying car list shows a Q7 or X5 could work for both xl and select. What else is XL on this list?

Latest Select Los Angles list.
  • ACURA - RDX
  • ACURA - RLX
  • ACURA - TL
  • ACURA - TLX
  • ACURA - ILX
  • AUDI - A3
  • AUDI - A4
  • AUDI - A5
  • AUDI - A6
  • AUDI - A7
  • AUDI - A8
  • AUDI - S3
  • AUDI - S4
  • AUDI - S6
  • AUDI - Q3
  • AUDI - Q5
  • AUDI - Q7
  • BMW - 3 SERIES
  • BMW - 5 SERIES
  • BMW - 7 SERIES
  • BMW - X1
  • BMW - X3
  • BMW - X4
  • BMW - X5
  • BMW - X6
  • CADILLAC - ATS
  • CADILLAC- CTS
  • CADILLAC - DTS
  • CADILLAC - SRX
  • CADILLAC - XTS
  • CHRYSLER - 300
  • HUMMER - H3
  • HYUNDAI - GENEISIS
  • HYUNDAI - EQUUS
  • INFINITI - EX
  • INFINITI - F
  • INFINITI - G
  • INFINITI - JX
  • INFINITI - M
  • INFINITI - Q
  • INFINITI - QX50
  • INFINITI - QX70
  • JAGUAR - XF
  • JAGUAR - XJ
  • KIA - K900
  • LAND ROVER - RANGE ROVER
  • LEXUS - ES
  • LEXUS - IS
  • LEXUS - NX
  • LEXUS - RX
  • LEXUS - GS
  • LEXUS - GX
  • LEXUS - LS
  • LINCOLN - MKT
  • LINCOLN- MKS
  • LINCOLN - MKX
  • LINCOLN - MKZ
  • LINCOLN - TOWN CAR
  • MERCEDES BENZ - C CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - E CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - S CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - G CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - GLK CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - M CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - R CLASS
  • PORSCHE - CAYENNE
  • PORSCHE - PANAMERA
  • TESLA - MODEL S
  • VOLVO - S60
  • VOLVO - S80
  • VOLVO - XC

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I like the idea of XL/Select. Very much like the SUV guys do it by running SUV/Black.

A quick look at the latest qualifying car list shows a Q7 or X5 could work for both xl and select. What else is XL on this list?

Latest Select Los Angles list.
  • ACURA - RDX
  • ACURA - RLX
  • ACURA - TL
  • ACURA - TLX
  • ACURA - ILX
  • AUDI - A3
  • AUDI - A4
  • AUDI - A5
  • AUDI - A6
  • AUDI - A7
  • AUDI - A8
  • AUDI - S3
  • AUDI - S4
  • AUDI - S6
  • AUDI - Q3
  • AUDI - Q5
  • AUDI - Q7
  • BMW - 3 SERIES
  • BMW - 5 SERIES
  • BMW - 7 SERIES
  • BMW - X1
  • BMW - X3
  • BMW - X4
  • BMW - X5
  • BMW - X6
  • CADILLAC - ATS
  • CADILLAC- CTS
  • CADILLAC - DTS
  • CADILLAC - SRX
  • CADILLAC - XTS
  • CHRYSLER - 300
  • HUMMER - H3
  • HYUNDAI - GENEISIS
  • HYUNDAI - EQUUS
  • INFINITI - EX
  • INFINITI - F
  • INFINITI - G
  • INFINITI - JX
  • INFINITI - M
  • INFINITI - Q
  • INFINITI - QX50
  • INFINITI - QX70
  • JAGUAR - XF
  • JAGUAR - XJ
  • KIA - K900
  • LAND ROVER - RANGE ROVER
  • LEXUS - ES
  • LEXUS - IS
  • LEXUS - NX
  • LEXUS - RX
  • LEXUS - GS
  • LEXUS - GX
  • LEXUS - LS
  • LINCOLN - MKT
  • LINCOLN- MKS
  • LINCOLN - MKX
  • LINCOLN - MKZ
  • LINCOLN - TOWN CAR
  • MERCEDES BENZ - C CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - E CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - S CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - G CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - GLK CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - M CLASS
  • MERCEDES BENZ - R CLASS
  • PORSCHE - CAYENNE
  • PORSCHE - PANAMERA
  • TESLA - MODEL S
  • VOLVO - S60
  • VOLVO - S80
  • VOLVO - XC
Mercedes R class, Lincoln MKT Non livery model

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to thank everybody here for all the great responses, now my goal is to get uber to add an option for me to be on XL and Select at the same time. I'm determined........ It took some hard work but i did get them to put my Ford flex on Plus

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I want to thank everybody here for all the great responses, now my goal is to get uber to add an option for me to be on XL and Select at the same time. I'm determined........ It took some hard work but i did get them to put my Ford flex on Plus
Based on absolutely no facts or experience with this, in some twisted way, it seems like if you dropped x, waited awhile then asked them to add a combined XL/select option. It could be done at the csr/email level. It would be easy to add X again later. Again I DON'T know what the hell I'm talking about...just seems to be the way things work at uber.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts