Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately that a lot of this forum (and UP in general) is new drivers with the same few posts over and over. They got screwed on a long pickup, couldn't catch the surge before it disappeared, didn't collect their well deserved cancellation rate, they waited 15 mins at 3 stops and got stiffed on tips or got temporarily or permanently deactivated from false accusations.
I get it, we were all new drivers and it's a learning process but there are so many cautionary tales on here to help us out they are just scattered all over the store. I realize this thread too will soon be pushed far enough down that people will stop reading reading it entirely but for now here's a non-exhaustive list of things to stop doing (some general, some specific to the WNY markets) if you want profit, longevity and any semblance of happiness being a rideshare driver:

-driving without a dashcam (playing with fire)
-blindly accepting stacked pings
-blindly accepting any pings
-waiting more than 5 minutes for pickup on non-surge pings
-waiting more than 5 minutes on stops
-worrying about your acceptance rate
-offering freebies
-rolling up to pickups (especially at bars, at night) with doors unlocked
-stop violating the law/TOS because the last driver did it.
-doing anything overly inconvenient to you for a "big" tip unless it's upfront and in cash.
-taking anyone with less than a 4.78
-taking anyone less than a 4.85 at night or a low income area.
-following Uber in app nav
-taking most long pickups unless it's off a stacked ping.
-chasing surges
-taking a non-surge ping while in a surge area
-doing UberEats (seriously)
-waiting more than 15 minutes in any location other than home for pings (includes queues)
- staying online if your net (not gross) per hour earnings for the day drop below minimum wage
-telling people you make good money doing this (this is one reason they don't tip)
-going above and beyond expecting tips
-expecting tips
-not having common sense about when and where you drive

All I can come up with now, feel free to add. I'm also willing to explain my rationale on any of these just wanted to keep this initial post as short as possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guilty of most of these at one point in time except for freebies and UberEats. I would think about doing freebies if I made $1.80 per mile instead of $0.66. I do Uber because I like to drive, I don't want to get out of the car to pickup/deliver food.

My waiting limit at a location for a ping is 30 minutes, especially if it is a know good pickup spot. I really hate burning gas looking for rides.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guilty of most of these at one point in time except for freebies and UberEats. I would think about doing freebies if I made $1.80 per mile instead of $0.66. I do Uber because I like to drive, I don't want to get out of the car to pickup/deliver food.

My waiting limit at a location for a ping is 30 minutes, especially if it is a know good pickup spot. I really hate burning gas looking for rides.
Did eats once never again. Got about half a bulk sized bag of lifesavers mints left and I've decided not to replace them when they are gone. I get a ton of compliments on them but few tips and even with a hanging popup garbage can in the back I find myself constantly picking up wrappers.

I also hate wasting gas but I hate wasting time more. With the saturation you often find here in ROC you often get rides quicker by crawling around. I always consult the rider app for ant saturation before parking or moving unless I'm in a place I'd rather not be anyways then I move. I said 15 mins cause I thick that's a good rule of thumb but I rarely wait more than 10 unless I'm doing something else (eating, vacuuming, shopping, etc.).

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've noticed lately that a lot of this forum (and UP in general) is new drivers with the same few posts over and over. They got screwed on a long pickup, couldn't catch the surge before it disappeared, didn't collect their well deserved cancellation rate, they waited 15 mins at 3 stops and got stiffed on tips or got temporarily or permanently deactivated from false accusations.
I get it, we were all new drivers and it's a learning process but there are so many cautionary tales on here to help us out they are just scattered all over the store. I realize this thread too will soon be pushed far enough down that people will stop reading reading it entirely but for now here's a non-exhaustive list of things to stop doing (some general, some specific to the WNY markets) if you want profit, longevity and any semblance of happiness being a rideshare driver:

-driving without a dashcam (playing with fire)
-blindly accepting stacked pings
-blindly accepting any pings
-waiting more than 5 minutes for pickup on non-surge pings
-waiting more than 5 minutes on stops
-worrying about your acceptance rate
-offering freebies
-rolling up to pickups (especially at bars, at night) with doors unlocked
-stop violating the law/TOS because the last driver did it.
-doing anything overly inconvenient to you for a "big" tip unless it's upfront and in cash.
-taking anyone with less than a 4.78
-taking anyone less than a 4.85 at night or a low income area.
-following Uber in app nav
-taking most long pickups unless it's off a stacked ping.
-chasing surges
-taking a non-surge ping while in a surge area
-doing UberEats (seriously)
-waiting more than 15 minutes in any location other than home for pings (includes queues)
- staying online if your net (not gross) per hour earnings for the day drop below minimum wage
-telling people you make good money doing this (this is one reason they don't tip)
-going above and beyond expecting tips
-expecting tips
-not having common sense about when and where you drive

All I can come up with now, feel free to add. I'm also willing to explain my rationale on any of these just wanted to keep this initial post as short as possible.
Excellent list. I have made most of those mistakes myself. I would add do not accept long distance rides when you get a 45 minute long ride warning. Unless you plan on asking for minimum $30 cash upfront for dead miles, and cancel if rider refuses. They are just not worth it. Take an hour plus ride to Buffalo, earn $48 minus expenses, then drive back to Rochester? You just spent over 2 hours of your time and drove 120 plus miles. Not good. I've made this mistake twice. Sucked for me, Uber did quite well. Don't do it. You will do better staying in town.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Add.....

- picking up people with small babies or toddlers and no car seat
That was part of my 'stop violating the law/TOS because the "last driver did it."'
- picking up people at walmart or any other grocery store...
I typically avoid these but if I see a 4.97 or similarly high rating coming from one of those places or on a trip that I see multiple stops programmed in I am more likely to take a chance on it. In my experience if someone
regularly takes these types of trips and still maintains a high rating it's typically because they tip

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did a walmart ping sometime last month I believe. I caught the trip on the way back from a drop off, didn't remember the rider's rating but I remember the riders like yesterday 3 very very large pax like how does that happen lol. I start trip it says 3 min away so in my mind I'm like you lazy fat so and so's anyway they tip me well in cash and on the app for a minimum xl fare.

You also forgot to mention why grocery stores suck, you see pax standing there and you say to yourself this isn't so bad then they give this nod tp another person then you see a shit ton bags. At that point you have 2 options speed away or take the fare.

Not sure if you mentioned never start the fare before pax is in car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did a walmart ping sometime last month I believe. I caught the trip on the way back from a drop off, didn't remember the rider's rating but I remember the riders like yesterday 3 very very large pax like how does that happen lol. I start trip it says 3 min away so in my mind I'm like you lazy fat so and so's anyway they tip me well in cash and on the app for a minimum xl fare.

You also forgot to mention why grocery stores suck, you see pax standing there and you say to yourself this isn't so bad then they give this nod tp another person then you see a shit ton bags. At that point you have 2 options speed away or take the fare.

I always wait till pax in car. But of course then I get like today - pax gets in car, I start ride, pax says, wait for my friend what a slowpoke my friend is. Then I sit there another 5 minutes waiting for smelly rat friend. 3 stars for that, never will I see you again.

Reactions: Fed truck

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never done it, didn't think about it but that's a good one. The one that I'm good at with bar pickups but need to be better about with residential pickups is keeping the doors locked till I'm sure everyone is there. Even if you don't start the ride it's much harder to cancel at 5 mins if one of them is in the car.

That actually made me think of a related one. Avoid driveways as long as it's safe and reasonable to pickup on the street. Having a clear escape route is huge in the rare case a paxholes poses an actual threat but is also helpful in avoiding those awkward moments where they walk up just after you cancel and don't understand why you aren't taking them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
From experience: Do NOT go out of your way to drive your car through snow at the foot of a long driveway so rich people don't have to carry their luggage all the way to their oversized house. You will NOT get any tip whatsoever. Waste of time!

In fact, do the bare minimum for those well-to-do people. 99% do not appreciate people such as drivers, waiters, paperboy etc...

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I always wait till pax in car. But of course then I get like today - pax gets in car, I start ride, pax says, wait for my friend what a slowpoke my friend is. Then I sit there another 5 minutes waiting for smelly rat friend. 3 stars for that, never will I see you again.
Let me correct this for you...never start the trip until you are rolling...pax in the car can easily be tossed out before the trip actually starts moving.

My coworker got burned and temporarily suspended for starting a ride then having to toss the people out because of their behavior. They filed every sort of complaint against him....and of course, no dashcam to back any of it up, so he was offline for a week while he pleaded his case. He filed a complaint with Uber immediately when it happened....and still down a full week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.