Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been confounded with underage riders since I started 10 months ago. I've noticed that they make it difficult to get the fee for an underage rider. Lyft makes you call to get a refund and Uber lets the ride disappear. The one time that I stayed until they canceled, I was hit with a warning that the rider said I made racist comments.

So I started thinking and doing some research. I found where they actually started to allow for teenage riders in some markets. They only used select drivers, but didn't tell them and didn't give them extra pay for the program.

That made me realize that rideshare companies want the teens in their cars. It's setting up the next generation of riders. They love the service so much that they're not learning how to drive. All the while, they're putting the burden of the hazards of taking them on the driver.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
going to guess that something bad already has happened, and they will just write a check to settle it
If they are making millions per month, they can afford to pay 500,000 or whatever settlement fee.
Add all the schools, in one city and see how many thousands $$$ they are collecting per day...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was shocked when I started getting requests to pick up minors from school and take them home. Seems a lot of kids go to charter or magnet schools around here, so not in their own neighborhoods. Parents dump them off on the way to work in the mornings and then schedule Uber to pick them up. The youngest I've had was 14. I would have NEVER done this when my son was growing up, and it's been 14 years since he was that age!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I've been confounded with underage riders since I started 10 months ago. I've noticed that they make it difficult to get the fee for an underage rider.
I cancelled one yesterday. Unaccompanied Minor was one of the reasons to choose. Got my cancellation fee in less than a minute.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
This whole discussion on underage riders shows that total clarification is needed.

1) Uber's general TOS and a number of states say ride share providers cannot discriminate based on age.
2) In another section of Uber's TOS they say riders must be 18 years old minimum.

So which is it?

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
This whole discussion on underage riders shows that total clarification is needed.

1) Uber's general TOS and a number of states say ride share providers cannot discriminate based on age.
2) In another section of Uber's TOS they say riders must be 18 years old minimum.

So which is it?
Simple: You cannot discriminate based on age, UNLESS you are discriminating based on age.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I let them cancel. They want a ride right away so they don’t care if they lose 5 bucks. Plus it’s usually not their money

·
Premium Member
60,590 Posts
I've been confounded with underage riders since I started 10 months ago. I've noticed that they make it difficult to get the fee for an underage rider. Lyft makes you call to get a refund and Uber lets the ride disappear. The one time that I stayed until they canceled, I was hit with a warning that the rider said I made racist comments.

So I started thinking and doing some research. I found where they actually started to allow for teenage riders in some markets. They only used select drivers, but didn't tell them and didn't give them extra pay for the program.

That made me realize that rideshare companies want the teens in their cars. It's setting up the next generation of riders. They love the service so much that they're not learning how to drive. All the while, they're putting the burden of the hazards of taking them on the driver.
The RULES clearly state underage are not allowed

Unlike the COMMERCIALS.

✌ I am not a crook! ✌

Attachments

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I'm sitting in Starbucks taking the morning off and all the underage minors are here ditching class, across the street from the High School. Rebels!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

Just wait the required 5 minutes and choose "rider didn't show up" - your cancellation fee will appear almost immediately.

Don't count on Uber to pay you if you choose "underage rider" as the cancellation reason. Even though they should, Uber sucks and makes it as difficult and time-consuming as possible if drivers are literal with their choices of cancellation reasons.

Just "rider no show" and move on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts