Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
10,813 Posts
Well you guys voted to approve prop 22, 120% of minimum wage and 30/ mile guaranteed.

Only 7/8s majority needed to amended it, should be easy.
It could be made unconsitutional, which is a very high possibility.

· Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
10,813 Posts
I thought it was already ruled as unconstitutional because of the 7/8 votes needed to amend something
But it hasn't been removed as a law yet.

· Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I thought it was already ruled as unconstitutional because of the 7/8 votes needed to amend something
Making a 7/8ths majority needed should be unconstitutional. That's nearly 90%. 2/3th 67% is the norm, and that tough. 7/8th is practically impossible.

Going from memory, California's constitution gives the state the power to regulate workers compensation. A judge says prop 22 takes that power away from the state, I assume because of the 7/8ths clause but I'm not 100% sure.

There was another reason, something to do with prop 22 also makes collect bargaining (unionizing) illegal. In CA this type of law can only address one subject. The judge ruled the no union was a second subject.

I followed the whole ab5 / prop 22 but I'm not in or from CA.

· Premium Member
10,813 Posts

Making a 7/8ths majority needed should be unconstitutional. That's nearly 90%. 2/3th 67% is the norm, and that tough. 7/8th is practically impossible.

Going from memory, California's constitution gives the state the power to regulate workers compensation. A judge says prop 22 takes that power away from the state, I assume because of the 7/8ths clause but I'm not 100% sure.

There was another reason, something to do with prop 22 also makes collect bargaining (unionizing) illegal. In CA this type of law can only address one subject. The judge ruled the no union was a second subject.

I followed the whole ab5 / prop 22 but I'm not in or from CA.
Nothing ever gets voted in at a 7/8ths majority.

Take the medicare and medicaid bill of 1965

The thing was a fricken landslide. Under a 7/8ths rule it would have failed.

in the senate..

70 Yes (would be 18 senators short of passing by 7/8ths)
24 no

In the house
307 yes (would have been 74 short of passing by 7/8ths)
116 no

That's how extreme a 7/8ths majority really is... just impossible.

Let's take the 13thd amendment.

It also failed to pass a 7/8ths majority.

The US senate's vote was 38/6. 1/2 a % short of a 7/8ths majority

And the house vote was 119 to 56 WAY short of a 7/8ths majority.

These are both considered landslide votes, and both of these examples failed to hit a 7/8ths majority.

· Registered
3 Posts
Yep right there at #3. Now find the top 10 cities for driver pay. Curious how that lines up with this list.

What are your guys's rates out there? Last I heard Seattle was the best paying city but that's been a while
depends on if you are in the seattle city limits or outside them.

In seattle city limits: $1.50/mile and $.64/minute
Outside city limits: $1.27/mile and $.37/minute

· Premium Member
2,449 Posts
The disgrace is that some of you don’t seem to understand what society believes a person should make for simply driving people around. Bus drivers make $18-22 per hour. Same with shuttle bus drivers. Employee rideshare companies pay $17-20/hr. All of those jobs come with a schedule and possibly a uniform. They also come with your taxes pre paid at a higher rate than you should be paying and you have to wait up to 13-16 months before getting any of it back! That is the baseline of what politicians and society thinks you should be making.

Prior to the pandemic I made $25-30/online hour and about $35-40/active hour. On my own schedule with no boss, no uniform and I keep all of my money until I decide what the government is owed from MY work, not the other way around.

Pandemic and post pandemic has increased our earnings, I now average $40-50/online hour and $70+/active hour. Plus some drivers in CA are earning $5,000-$10,000 per year in healthcare stipends.

So yes, according to society’s view and the government need to keep the middle class down, we are considered overpaid.

PERSONALLY I do not feel that way, I think we are appropriately compensated. Those who adapt quickly and work hard make more than those who don’t. The tools are there to make $$, choosing to use them is another story.

Base rates mean absolutely nothing to most smart drivers. They aren’t and haven’t ever driven for base rates. They drive for the surge and incentives. Should we ever be completely void of surge and incentives, THEN it’s fair to discuss base rates needing an increase.
Bus drivers have pension plans through the city or county they're employed under. They also get holiday pay and a pension plan. Uber drivers have neither.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts