Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you pull up to the customer and he tells you he is going to the airport...it is 40 minutes to get there and you know it is 90 minutes to get back downtown. Your morning is screwed even with the $7.00 "new surge." But you are a nice guy. You don't want to be rude but you don't want to get screwed either. The answer is easy if you take it logically.

You just hop on the bus, Gus
Make a new plan, Stan
I'll take you to the El, Mel

I'm sorry there must be another glitch (happens a lot under Dara) in the Uber system. I am using a destination filter for Evanston; I have Dr. appointment in an hour. Your conscience is clear.

After reading almost every post on this Chicago platform it is very easy to see that almost everyone is not a happy camper. Dara took a big gamble on screwing the drivers and passengers over. Don't let him win that gamble! Look out for yourself, not the rider, not Uber. If drivers keep doing this the rider experience will continue to deteriorate and Uber will have no choice but to change its ways and hopefully show Dara the exit.

Great work all you protesters..keep it up.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I told a rider that the traffic is really bad heading to ORD. Better to take a blue line and she agreeed. :D

If you see a suitcase just drive off. What about dead end streets or cul-de-sacs? :p

·
Registered
953 Posts
Get out from back
Jack.

I had one couple weeks back. I had already driven 10 hours but not kicked off driving because all 10 hours were not city hours.

I honestly attempted to use my DF to home since I was tired of driving 10 hours, wanted no more than 10 and a half hours.

Uber's app wouldn't allow the DF and I didnt get the pop off not available in all areas. I got the pop up saying DF not available because my area too busy with ride requests.

Too many people requesting rides??? Are you kidding me??? Our 2 DF allowances never said "unless uber is busy with pax requests.

So almost near home town and its the short hop going to work or train time period.

6am I get a request didn't mention Long Trip. Either airport or the city would certainly be 45+ based on the way I saw I55 just prior this ping.

I pull up and 1 guy standing there holds up his finger to indicate one moment. Then, wife and child and himself exit the garage with 4 large suit cases.

I chimed in saying "Whoa, I see suitcases. Please tell me I'm not taking you to the airport because I wont be able to take you there"

He said they were going to Midway 830am flight.

I blamed it on Uber. And, if you think about it it is Uber's fault. One for not notifying 45 min trip. Two, for not letting 10 hour driver set a DF towards home.
Third, for not asking via app technology which could prompt some little thing stating I've driven over 10 hours so by accepting this trip driving time will put you well beyond 11 hours. Then asking "Do you still wish this trip?

So, as part of your question of 50 ways to leave your rider, I did the following.

I told the rider that I had just returned home from driving most of the night in the city and I'm supposed to be on an Uber app feature with a destination towards home. I was nice with pax, including saying I was very sorry.

I also told the pax I had been driving just about 10 hours now and it is illegal to drive more than 10 hours in the city. I didnt lie because that statement is true. I just hadn't had all my hours in the city.

I put the blame on Uber and rightfully so because had I drove 10 in the city I'd be deactivated for a period but because not law outside the city, instead of alerting me to 10 hours drive time and allowing me the option to continue driving or not, Uber didn't give a hoot if a driver already drove 10 hours, tried to use a DF and was getting fatigued. They just sent another trip knowing via gps and app time tracking, that my 10 would go to 12 hours just to do this trip and head home.

I told the guy and his family I was very sorry, drove 10 hours and Uber should not have dispatched me his trip request. Also said again I was very fatigued from 10 hours already.

So, if you're looking for another way to lose your rider and unlike my case in wich I was fatigued and trying to be on DF towards home, tell your rider their trip is too long because it will put your drive time beyond what is Chicago law.

BTW in my case why didn't I just go app off and go home if I was starting to get fatigued was because I was getting fatigued but still had enough in me that I could take a pax headed in my direction. I had to drive anyways, to get home.

After leaving the rider stranded with his suit cases waiting for another Uber, I did get another request from someone only going 7 or 8 minutes in the same direction of home, like it's supposed to be when destination is home.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Smart riders know to take a surge ride out of the surge area and get a new ride. It now makes sense for drivers to actively tell riders to do this. Driver gets to stay in the surge zone, and pax will be happy that you're saving them money. Brilliant. And we get to leave surge droppings for ants.
This is an awesome idea for airport or longer trips from the city. Sorry. I have somewheres to be and can't complete the trip. Give pax options and make it seem like your trying to save them money and help them out. They don't bite, cancel.

KB can't even complain about this, your still doing the job. Rides get completed.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I told a rider that the traffic is really bad heading to ORD. Better to take a blue line and she agreeed. :D

If you see a suitcase just drive off. What about dead end streets or cul-de-sacs? :p
I've asked this before. No suitcase or luggage. Maybe only a backpack or laptop bag. Pax going to airport. Then what do you do?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
So you pull up to the customer and he tells you he is going to the airport...it is 40 minutes to get there and you know it is 90 minutes to get back downtown. Your morning is screwed even with the $7.00 "new surge." But you are a nice guy. You don't want to be rude but you don't want to get screwed either. The answer is easy if you take it logically.

Make a new plan, Stan

I'm sorry there must be another glitch (happens a lot under Dara) in the Uber system. I am using a destination filter for Evanston; I have Dr. appointment in an hour. Your conscience is clear.

After reading almost every post on this Chicago platform it is very easy to see that almost everyone is not a happy camper. Dara took a big gamble on screwing the drivers and passengers over. Don't let him win that gamble! Look out for yourself, not the rider, not Uber. If drivers keep doing this the rider experience will continue to deteriorate and Uber will have no choice but to change its ways and hopefully show Dara the exit.

It is 2:30AM and the DF is on for Hobart, IND. I get a call at about 111th and Pulaski. A real drunk couple orders Uber Pool. I figure I'd take it because it is heading towards Indiana. Nope. They want to go to Lockport, 45+ minutes away. There was no time warning either. I said sorry, I'm on my way home and Lockport is in the opposite direction. They refuse to get out and tell me all other Uber drivers take them home,. To get them out I had to threaten to call 911. Finally they left and slammed my door.
Some people just don't want to hear excuses.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts

Make a new plan, Stan

Adapt. Take them to ORD, then head to River Rd and go south. You will find rides. Maybe a few loops back thru ORD, then River, and so on. You can rack up shorts and maybe do better than a ride back DT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.