Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Uber now controls demand by jacking up the price even though there are not that many cars on the road until literally no cars are left, that's when they start passing on the surge to drivers. Riders are charged higher upfront pricing the most during low demand times in certain areas. People who tip through the app will get charged more for their next ride than those who don't tip per uber algorithm. When it's surging do to nnot enough drivers been on the road Uber charge will the pax less in low income areas to keep people from ordering Lyft. The algorithm is code word for AI computer system that manipulates both driver and passenger behavior in order to make the most profit using the data it gathers from rides and company input. Like the post to bring more attention to this, thanks!
Very well said!

One other thing they do now is drop the POOL price substantially when a matching trip is already in progress. Like Princeton to EWR....$32 POOL, $51 X. Then 5 minutes later...$48 POOL, $51 X. I call this a "reverse surge".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you know someone who is a coder at uber? How do you know how the algorithm works? Any employee that gets caught breaking their NDA will ruin their future career opportunities.
Why do you act like the algorithm is some crazy thing? It's a simple variation of the Stable marriage problem. You use a modified Gale-Shapley to perform the matching.

This is a literal entry level cs graduate algorithms course.

The algorithm goes through various of markers, (Your acceptance rate, cancellation rate, your distance to x, when was your last ride, do you owe money? (IE fuel card, they will tend to give you "longer" trips) etc to match you with a pax.

Note: I'm a senior software dev, it's not rocket science to make a matching algorithm.

The surge is bullshit though,

This morning I did a quick ride to the train station before work. 1.5x surge, I drove the longest possible way, and uber still made 6$ more.

They quote pax a larger surge and pay the driver less. It's not even about "time traveled" any longer, unless you really go out of the way.

http://i.imgur.com/f1WV2tP.png

·
Registered
34 Posts
Never said it was crazy. It's definitely plausible but the OP came across so certain as if he knew all the variables, triggers, and parameters/thresholds.

I'm a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt with extensive BSA and some coding experience so I'm not completely ignorant. :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Why do you act like the algorithm is some crazy thing? It's a simple variation of the Stable marriage problem. You use a modified Gale-Shapley to perform the matching.

The algorithm goes through various of markers, (Your acceptance rate, cancellation rate, your distance to x, when was your last ride, do you owe money? (IE fuel card, they will tend to give you "longer" trips) etc to match you with a pax.

Note: I'm a senior software dev, it's not rocket science to make a matching algorithm.

This morning I did a quick ride to the train station before work. 1.5x surge, I drove the longest possible way, and uber still made 6$ more.

They quote pax a larger surge and pay the driver less. It's not even about "time traveled" any longer, unless you really go out of the way.

It is shameful, how uber treating their partners.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts

Thank you for this..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.