Uber Drivers Forum banner

The vengeance of SURGE will rear its ugly head again SOON, just wait and see, Uber!!

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  UberSaur 
#1 · (Edited)
The vengeance of SURGE will wreak havoc and rear its ugly head again SOON, just wait and see, Uber, you've created an incurable CANCER!! If you think scaling back on the Heavy Metal Programme is an option, lol...

#6 ·
If there is an equivalent in French, I do not know what it is. I do not recall ever hearing one when I lived in Montreal.

Canada French does not, as a rule, use out-and-out Franglais, rather it uses either literal translations or at least spells the English word or the phrase in the way that a French speaker would spell it. On the other hand, francaise metropolitaine, just takes the English word or phrase and uses it as it is. There has been some agitation in L'Academie Francaise to purge francaise metropolitaine of that type of Franglais. The scholars there have been looking at the Canadian French to replace those words.

As far as I know, there is no equivalent in Italian.

#7 ·
From Etymology Dictionary
Old English ræran "to raise, build up, create, set on end; arouse, excite, stir up," from Proto-Germanic *raizijanau "to raise," causative of *risanan "to rise". The second -r- is by rhotacism. Meaning "bring into being, bring up" (as a child) is recorded from early 15c.; that of "raise up on the hind legs" is first recorded late 14c. Related: Reared; rearing.

#9 ·
From Etymology DictionaryOld English ræran "to raise, build up, create, set on end; arouse, excite, stir up,"
............so, I suppose in French, "Se leve le bloc"; "Se leve la tete; se leve le visage" (first one Canada, last two francaise metropolitaine), except that I do not recall ever hearing that in Canada or from my Belgian mathematics teacher (she used to tutor me mathematics in French when I was in High School).

In Italian, it would be "Si toglie la testa" "Si toglie la faccia" or "Si toglie il visaggio", but, again, I never have heard or read it in Italian.

Spanish (?) "Se lleva la cabeza" (?), but again, does any Spanish speaker say that?

#17 ·
Saw it surging like crazy a little bit ago. Always seems to do that when I can't drive and have to work. The more they scale back incentives the more surge there will be, maybe we get back to the good old days. This could work in our favor
Guys, I've noticed that when I drive away from a surge area, the surge values rise the farther I go away. Vice versa, when you get closer to a surge area, you will notice the surge numbers decrease as you get closer in most cases. My point is, when you see as a 2.5x surge from a distance it may only be a 1.5x surge for those inside the surge area. Saw this BS first hand many many many times!

One time I was driving from Friendship Heights to N.Bethesda. The further I got away from Frendship Heights, the more surge rose and N. Bethesda surge dropped and vice versa. Total BS.

BONG!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.