Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

The Ultimate Service Dog Guide!

6K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  Pawtism 
#1 ·
Here it is! The ultimate service dog guide (it's long, you've been warned hehe). The result of years of education and training on the ADA (with a focus on service dogs for obvious reasons), and the culmination of many, many posts here on the subject. Title III of the ADA: Public Accommodations is what requires us to take service animals. So, what is a service animal? A service animal is a dog and in some rare cases, a mini horse, that has been "task trained" to assist with a disability. Mini horses do have size restrictions including in their granting of public access that will render them effectively not accessible for most ride share drivers (unless you're driving something pretty big). o_O So for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to focus only on the dogs.

Just know that it's really not Uber/Lyft doing this, it's Federal Law (in the US), and they are only following, and ensuring you follow, the law. This is actually a 28 year old law, and drivers themselves were liable to follow it from the beginning. Uber tends to have bigger pockets than individual drivers, so ultimately they are the ones who the lawsuits started coming after. To protect themselves, they have to also protect the drivers, by forcing compliance. Hence, you violate the ADA, you get deactivated. :( As drivers, we have to accept that we are taking our personal property (our cars) and making them public (by going online). If you don't want to do that, then don't drive ride share. This link will be your friend throughout this post: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

The ADA defines a disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. By substantially limits, we're talking about something that is a really big deal here, not just something that someone has but they muddle through. For example, I have allergies, but they don't rise to the level of a disability, while they are certainly annoying (especially since I'm allergic to dogs and have to be with one pretty much 24/7), I can take an Allegra and muddle through the day. :oops: On the other hand, as my name implies, I have Autism (Asperger's Syndrome), and it does rise to the level of a disability (without accommodations, I likely wouldn't still be employed, probably wouldn't have nearly as many degrees as I do (I barely got through my BA program without accommodations, and it took me 5 years on a 4 year program), and wouldn't be able to get by in the "everyday world". :confused:

By "task trained" they mean that the service dog has to be trained in tasks (at least 2, although some states call for 3 to get their state protection too) that mitigate (lessen, counteract, etc) their disability. This task training usually comes after the Public Access training (which is why they behave so well in public). "Emotional Support" is *NOT* a task. :rolleyes: The ADA (and currently every state law I can find) specifically prohibits ESA (Emotional Support Animals) as "Service Animals" (although FL made an attempt to add them that failed). First, ESAs don't have to be just dogs (and as we mentioned before the only service animals that most drivers are going to need to worry about are dogs). Second, the ADA specifically states that "animals that provide comfort just by being with a person" do not qualify. You hear about pigs flying and living in people's apartments because of the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) and the FHA (Fair Housing Act), neither of these affect public access (nor ride share drivers). :mad:

They must perform an actual task (take an action) to mitigate the disabilities. For example, being Autistic, there is nothing that really keeps me from going to the fridge and grabbing a soda currently. I actually have some other issue that will one day make that a problem, but right now, it's not one of my "disabilities". So while to someone who has no legs for example, a dog getting something from the fridge would count as a task that mitigates one of their disabilities, my dog getting a soda from the fridge for me (I wish hehe), doesn't count as a task that mitigates my disabilities. :cool: My dogs tasks are medical alert, body blocking, and deep pressure therapy (she actually has a few more, but this post is long enough as it is hehe). :oops:

Service dogs are used for a wide variety of disabilities and haven't been "just for the blind" for at least 20 years now. In the last 10 years or so, their use has started really accelerating. There are guide dogs, hearing dogs, mobility dogs, autism dogs, ptsd dogs, etc. I expect that list to only get longer as more and more studies are being performed as to what service dogs can actually help with. Maybe one day, technology will come along that will replace the service dog. I know things are already being worked on, but until that day, this is where we're at. Personally, I look forward to my personal robot that can take care of my tasks, but alas, I still have a dog. ;)

Service dogs and in most states, Service Dogs in Training (check your state or if you really can't find it for your state let me know and I'll locate it for you, Service Dogs in Training are typically dogs who have completed their Public Access training, but are still working on their "tasks"), must be taken (no if's, and's, or but's). People have tried to get around this for almost 30 years now, no one who has gone up against a legitimate service dog has succeeded. If you can think of it, they've tired it. Allergies, phobias, religion, it's all failed. Ignorance of the law is never a defense for it. Sure you can explain away intent, but discrimination claims don't need intent, they only need to show that the effect of discrimination happened.

The bottom line is simple. If you are SO allergic to or so afraid of dogs that you literally can't function around them, they get you so sick or afraid that they substantially limit your ability to drive (which is a daily activity) then you also have a disability, and unfortunately that disability prevents you from being able to be a ride share driver (as you're unable to complete the basic duties, which including taking service dogs). :oops: Now, if you were an employee, the ADA would have you covered and they'd have to give you another position that you were able to do instead. But alas, we aren't employees, we're independent contractors, and as such, we can't complete our contracts so we're just deactivated. :eek: It's not pleasant, but there is the cold, hard truth. As for religion, well we have a strict separation of church and state in this country. Thus, that is automatically a fail argument, the law can't consider religion (pro or con) when it's considering service dogs (yes, it's been tested in case law, yes, it's failed, many of the cases are up in Minnesota, you're welcome to google it).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You can not ask for any documentation. The reason is simple, there is no legitimate documentation to give. With about half of service dogs being owner trained, the documentation would come from the owner anyway, so how is that any different than asking them? o_O Anyone who does show you some, is almost certainly a fake. There are registration sites where people can get "credentials" that are certifying literally nothing. Because there isn't any legitimate credentials, it's unfortunately not illegal for them to make these fake ones (because they aren't actually forging anything). :rolleyes: After all, I could certify that certain foods don't contain "death crystals", because there is no fraud there. "Death crystals" aren't a real thing. If anyone is ignorant enough to think it is, and pay me to certify it free of it.. win for me. If anyone shows you "documentation" it's almost certainly a fake (real service dog handlers know better).

The ADA does give you an even better way to catch the fakers though. They allow two (2) questions (and ONLY these two questions) to be asked. 1. "Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?" and 2. "What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?" The first one is pretty easy to lie to (unfortunately there are people of such low moral character as to do so). The second one though, this is where you're going to catch your fakers. Anyone with a real service dog knows the two questions you can ask, and will be prepared for this. The fakers won't. :D They'll say "you can't ask me that!" (yes, you can). Or, they'll say "emotional support" (not a real service dog, you are not required to take an Emotional Support Animal, and as stated before if it's anything but a dog, you don't have to take it). :mad: If they list actual tasks instead, then they've almost certainly got a real service dog (and not taking it would be a major mistake). :cool:

That being said, service dogs (even legit ones) can still be kicked out on two conditions (three really, but the third is almost never a legitimate reason, so it's almost never actually mentioned). 1. If it "is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it". Out of control is probably the most common legitimate reason. Case law has set this to mean a great many things. The obvious stuff is that the dog is barking (more than just an alert), growling, lunging at people, biting, etc. The slightly less obvious is things like not physically restrained. A service dog still has to be leashed, tethered, etc unless that prevents them from doing their immediate task, in which case they can be off long enough to perform their task then have to be back on again. They also have to remain under effective voice control during that time.

For an example, let's say I was wheelchair bound (I'm not yet, thankfully), and I need my dog to go push the automatic door button. I can release her off the leash so she can run go push it, but then I need to be able to call her back (or stop her mid task with my voice, if a threat emerges or something), and put her back on the leash when she's back. Where this winds up getting a lot of people (especially fakers) is things like shopping carts. Service dogs are *NOT* allowed in shopping carts and putting one there, is considered out of control and reason enough to be asked to leave (if you won't correct it when asked). The same applies at seats/tables in the restaurant. Service dogs are *NOT* allowed on the seats/booths or up at the table. This kind of behavior infuriates most real service dog handlers. :mad: Four (paws) on the floor is the general rule (with an exception for a chest carrier, or something like that, for some smaller diabetic alert dogs that literally need to smell your breath, or have similar tasks).

The second reason is if they aren't housebroken (pretty obvious, but it's a rule). The third? If the presence of a service dog would fundamentally alter the goods/services being provided. This is the core reason why there are a very few areas that service dogs are not allowed (burn units, ORs, etc), there are a few other places (churches come to mind), but that doesn't impact drivers so I won't go too much into them. A famous recent example is a lady who wanted to take her service dog on an open air ski lift chair, after they even offered to drive her up... :confused: she lost, no service dogs on open air ski lifts, deemed a safety issue (they'd have to enclose them to be safe, and that would be a fundamental alteration to their business). Anyway, on the off chance that someone has researched enough about this (and still has low enough moral character) to lie effectively to the second question, and the dog is in control, then you'll have to take it. :(

A real service dog will not be an issue at all, so stressing out about it is really an exercise in futility. They are typically trained to sit on the floorboards unless it's a small car and a big dog in which case it will have to go on the seat. Just have a blanket or towel available and that is going to solve the issue of hair and such for you. Bottom line, you wouldn't question if someone in a wheelchair actually needs the chair would you? If someone with glasses actually needs the glasses? Same with service dogs. It's a medical aid device (technically durable medical equipment, they're actually tax deductible). :cool: If someone comes along with a service dog, and you are genuinely in doubt if it's real or not, simply ask the two questions. Between their reaction to (and answers of) that, and the dog's behavior, will tell you far more than any fake documentation from the internet ever could. ;) People with disabilities are already going through enough, and people with service dogs already get more than enough unwanted attention drawn to them, why make life harder for them, you know? :oops:

If that isn't reason enough, then perhaps this is. In most states it's an actual crime to refuse or interfere with a service dog, typically a misdemeanor (which you can be arrested for, and would go on your record). :eek: For those worried about people faking service dogs, in about 20 states so far, it's a crime (also usually a misdemeanor) to fake a service dog. With all the backlash from the fakes, I'd expect that list to grow too. While the ADA is one thing to worry about (their fines are steep), they really can't arrest you, but your state can (if it's one that has a law making it a crime). o_O I can't imagine the "what are you in for" chat goes well when others are saying things like assaulting a cop, or attempted murder, and you tell them you refused a service dog. :oops: Criminals, as hard core as they are, tend to not take kindly to people who mess with children, the elderly, or the disabled. :D

#4 · (Edited)
The most common will be "emotional support", so I'd simply say "I'm sorry but emotional support animals aren't service animals, and I only take service animals." Then make sure to document it to Uber/Lyft right away (they tend to believe whoever contacts them first initially anyway), and offer them video footage of her saying "emotional support" or whatever (they probably won't even need to see it). I can tell you that real service dog handlers really despise the fakers too (they are a threat to our highly trained dogs).

This is a video another member made (and posted here), if he wishes to identify himself he's welcome to but I'll not say his name directly. He handled it very well though.

#6 · (Edited)
Pawtism you are a Service Animal information GOD.

Thank You for all you do. And thanks for being you, boo!

:)
Thanks! I didn't intend it to be quite so long, but I also wanted to make sure I was not only giving the info but explaining it in a way that drivers could relate to. You can imagine my surprise when I tried to post it and it said I couldn't post anything over 10,000 characters. o_O :eek: :oops:

Ah well, hopefully it will serve as a good resource when some of those service dog questions do come up for people. :D

#8 ·
Here it is! The ultimate service dog guide (it's long, you've been warned hehe). The result of years of education and training on the ADA (with a focus on service dogs for obvious reasons), and the culmination of many, many posts here on the subject. Title III of the ADA: Public Accommodations is what requires us to take service animals. So, what is a service animal? A service animal is a dog and in some rare cases, a mini horse, that has been "task trained" to assist with a disability. Mini horses do have size restrictions including in their granting of public access that will render them effectively not accessible for most ride share drivers (unless you're driving something pretty big). o_O So for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to focus only on the dogs.

Just know that it's really not Uber/Lyft doing this, it's Federal Law (in the US), and they are only following, and ensuring you follow, the law. This is actually a 28 year old law, and drivers themselves were liable to follow it from the beginning. Uber tends to have bigger pockets than individual drivers, so ultimately they are the ones who the lawsuits started coming after. To protect themselves, they have to also protect the drivers, by forcing compliance. Hence, you violate the ADA, you get deactivated. :( As drivers, we have to accept that we are taking our personal property (our cars) and making them public (by going online). If you don't want to do that, then don't drive ride share. This link will be your friend throughout this post: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

The ADA defines a disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. By substantially limits, we're talking about something that is a really big deal here, not just something that someone has but they muddle through. For example, I have allergies, but they don't rise to the level of a disability, while they are certainly annoying (especially since I'm allergic to dogs and have to be with one pretty much 24/7), I can take an Allegra and muddle through the day. :oops: On the other hand, as my name implies, I have Autism (Asperger's Syndrome), and it does rise to the level of a disability (without accommodations, I likely wouldn't still be employed, probably wouldn't have nearly as many degrees as I do (I barely got through my BA program without accommodations, and it took me 5 years on a 4 year program), and wouldn't be able to get by in the "everyday world". :confused:

By "task trained" they mean that the service dog has to be trained in tasks (at least 2, although some states call for 3 to get their state protection too) that mitigate (lessen, counteract, etc) their disability. This task training usually comes after the Public Access training (which is why they behave so well in public). "Emotional Support" is *NOT* a task. :rolleyes: The ADA (and currently every state law I can find) specifically prohibits ESA (Emotional Support Animals) as "Service Animals" (although FL made an attempt to add them that failed). First, ESAs don't have to be just dogs (and as we mentioned before the only service animals that most drivers are going to need to worry about are dogs). Second, the ADA specifically states that "animals that provide comfort just by being with a person" do not qualify. You hear about pigs flying and living in people's apartments because of the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) and the FHA (Fair Housing Act), neither of these affect public access (nor ride share drivers). :mad:

They must perform an actual task (take an action) to mitigate the disabilities. For example, being Autistic, there is nothing that really keeps me from going to the fridge and grabbing a soda currently. I actually have some other issue that will one day make that a problem, but right now, it's not one of my "disabilities". So while to someone who has no legs for example, a dog getting something from the fridge would count as a task that mitigates one of their disabilities, my dog getting a soda from the fridge for me (I wish hehe), doesn't count as a task that mitigates my disabilities. :cool: My dogs tasks are medical alert, body blocking, and deep pressure therapy (she actually has a few more, but this post is long enough as it is hehe). :oops:

Service dogs are used for a wide variety of disabilities and haven't been "just for the blind" for at least 20 years now. In the last 10 years or so, their use has started really accelerating. There are guide dogs, hearing dogs, mobility dogs, autism dogs, ptsd dogs, etc. I expect that list to only get longer as more and more studies are being performed as to what service dogs can actually help with. Maybe one day, technology will come along that will replace the service dog. I know things are already being worked on, but until that day, this is where we're at. Personally, I look forward to my personal robot that can take care of my tasks, but alas, I still have a dog. ;)

Service dogs and in most states, Service Dogs in Training (check your state or if you really can't find it for your state let me know and I'll locate it for you, Service Dogs in Training are typically dogs who have completed their Public Access training, but are still working on their "tasks"), must be taken (no if's, and's, or but's). People have tried to get around this for almost 30 years now, no one who has gone up against a legitimate service dog has succeeded. If you can think of it, they've tired it. Allergies, phobias, religion, it's all failed. Ignorance of the law is never a defense for it. Sure you can explain away intent, but discrimination claims don't need intent, they only need to show that the effect of discrimination happened.

The bottom line is simple. If you are SO allergic to or so afraid of dogs that you literally can't function around them, they get you so sick or afraid that they substantially limit your ability to drive (which is a daily activity) then you also have a disability, and unfortunately that disability prevents you from being able to be a ride share driver (as you're unable to complete the basic duties, which including taking service dogs). :oops: Now, if you were an employee, the ADA would have you covered and they'd have to give you another position that you were able to do instead. But alas, we aren't employees, we're independent contractors, and as such, we can't complete our contracts so we're just deactivated. :eek: It's not pleasant, but there is the cold, hard truth. As for religion, well we have a strict separation of church and state in this country. Thus, that is automatically a fail argument, the law can't consider religion (pro or con) when it's considering service dogs (yes, it's been tested in case law, yes, it's failed, many of the cases are up in Minnesota, you're welcome to google it).
" A HAPPY CUSTOMER CAUSES NO TROUBLE"

Take all dogs if you can.

I never had a dog puke in my car.

Great information. What treats do you recommend? I give them recess peanut butter cups....and they really love be them. For some reason, the pet owners are not too happy with the gesture.
Do you put baby aspirin in them ?

Chocolate is supposed to be Toxic to dogs.

Although i have witnessed a dachsund that ripped open a 3 pound bag of hersheys kisses and ATE THEM ALL !
Foil included.
With no ill effects.
Dog was mentally deranged as it was before and healthy and happy.

#13 ·
Fake documentation is INCREDIBLY easy to fake

5 minutes and a google search was all it took..

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Rubber stamp

It has the governors signature, it's back dated for realism, and it has the state seal...

The suggestions to ask the two questions is a much better idea than asking to see paperwork.

Attachments

#14 ·
Fake documentation is INCREDIBLY easy to fake

5 minutes and a google search was all it took..

View attachment 222520

It has the governors signature, it's back dated for realism, and it has the state seal...

The suggestions to ask the two questions is a much better idea than asking to see paperwork.
If someone takes the take to make and carry fake documents, they deserve the damn ride with the dog.

#16 ·
Well you explained everything beautifully but new members will still keep starting threads--this needs to be a stickie if it's not already, and I wish there was an easy way for someone not familiar with the site to be automatically directed here anytime they use the words "dog" or "pet" or "service animal" in a post.
Yeah, I guess I'm mostly hoping that as newbies do ask questions or whatever someone will link this in their thread so they can read it. :)

#17 ·
If you get a scofflaw, write them up, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I've refused to accommodate several dozen fake service animals. I suspect that because I immediately log off and write them up, I've never had any issues with Uber. I make sure I video every single interaction for my protection, but haven't yet had to use this evidence. I let Uber know I had video, too.

I carry a copy of the ADA's Requirements cheat sheet in my log book, with the important sections highlighted. It's amazing how when I pull it out, and begin reading the pertinent sections out loud, the liars sometimes just slither away. I still write them up. Every. Single. Time.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

The few that passed the two questions, that did anything else that indicated they were scofflaws (i.e., produced fake documents, or their dog misbehaved enroute, or they smuggled a second dog - yes, that's happened), are also written up, and automatically 1-starred. I've collected cleanup fees on almost all of them. I know how to get it done.

I have two family members who are disabled, and I work during the day with a disabled attorney (all of these disabilities are readily apparent, too, there's no mystery). I have no sympathy for scofflaws and liars who abuse the system. They can burn.

For giggles and grins, I also carry a one page print out of the criminal penalty for fake service animals. It's a $300 fine in my state. It's very easy to swear out a criminal complaint at the police station, which is my next stop if I get any d-baggery at the point of their criminal attempt, including any threats of retaliation by false report on their part.

#18 ·
Some people are surprised, but I actually like it when fakers are brought to heel (pardon the pun hehe). Fake service dogs are a threat to highly trained service animals, it only takes one attack to ruin years of training. Thankfully I've not personally had that happen yet, but some of the people I serve have had that happen. It's a real problem because you can't just train up a new service dog overnight. It typically takes at least a year (and that's in a hurry).

I think those two questions are really the crux of it all, the fakers don't know what to do with the second one. It's almost funny watching their wheels try to turn to process it. I'm glad there are people out there who keep a copy of the ADA reference available (I can just imagine the fakers slithering away hehe).

#19 ·
Here it is! The ultimate service dog guide .
I (perhaps more than most) really appreciate this great recitation of the law.

Nevertheless, I tend to believe (now more than ever) that Uber will still deactivate drivers even if it is not a legitimate service dog, and the passenger complains. Uber will do nothing to determine if the passenger was "faking", and simply deactivate the driver.

Uber considers drivers as replaceable as rolls of toilet paper. Use 'em up and get another.

Uber has no advocacy for drivers, no real appeals process, nor recourse for drivers to follow.

As such, on the subject of service animals, and animals in general, I take all dogs, cats, etc.. I carry a beach blanket in the trunk and cover the seat before I allow them in the car. If the dog seems like a real danger, such as a pit bull, then I might ask the two questions while videotaping with my phone, and proceed from there.

I've found my open animals policy leads to tips, and it's really no issue.

#20 ·
I (perhaps more than most) really appreciate this great recitation of the law.

Nevertheless, I tend to believe (now more than ever) that Uber will still deactivate drivers even if it is not a legitimate service dog, and the passenger complains. Uber will do nothing to determine if the passenger was "faking", and simply deactivate the driver.

Uber considers drivers as replaceable as rolls of toilet paper. Use 'em up and get another.

Uber has no advocacy for drivers, no real appeals process, nor recourse for drivers to follow.

As such, on the subject of service animals, and animals in general, I take all dogs, cats, etc.. I carry a beach blanket in the trunk and cover the seat before I allow them in the car. If the dog seems like a real danger, such as a pit bull, then I might ask the two questions while videotaping with my phone, and proceed from there.

I've found my open animals policy leads to tips, and it's really no issue.
That is because UBER is uselesss and ineffective on behalf of drivers.

#22 ·
I'm not an uber employee so I don't care, don't want to care and refuse to read all that. That's ubers and their employees problem, not me im my own boss i do want i want when i want.
You are your own boss, which is exactly why it's your problem. The ADA applies to you, as a business owner and as a representative of your business. If you had bothered to read it, you'd have noticed this part very early on, "Just know that it's really not Uber/Lyft doing this, it's Federal Law (in the US), and they are only following, and ensuring you follow, the law. This is actually a 28 year old law, and drivers themselves were liable to follow it from the beginning."

People seem to have the erroneous idea that this is some Uber/Lyft rule, but it's actually Federal Law. Might want to go actually read it, especially before you refuse a service dog. Not only will the ADA fines sting, I see you're in Colorado, and they have a state law there that makes it an actual crime to refuse one (as in, you can be arrested, and wind up with a criminal record, for it). CO § 24-34-804

Reactions: KellyC
#23 · (Edited)
Actually it doesn't apply to me, I don't have to do allow anyone in my car I don't want in my car. End of story. In fact uber doesn't pay enough for me to allow their dirty pax in my sweet ride. The ada applies to public places my car is not public. Oh wait do i have to put handicap ramps on my house too? No. I am not an uber employee.

#34 ·
I'm not sure how a registration system would help with that since it would be after the fact anyway (that would be a program certification issue more than a service dog registration issue). However, if those allegations are true, that's a pretty despicable program.

#36 ·
Another point.
If, or when, we ask the two questions, how do we know the pax is being honest? If a cheat knows the questions, and lies to us , how can we disprove the claim?

Example

1. "Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?"
Answer: yes
2. "What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?"
Answer: I am an epileptic (not true) . Dog is trained to sense when a seizure is coming.

#37 ·
Another point.
If, or when, we ask the two questions, how do we know the pax is being honest? If a cheat knows the questions, and lies to us , how can we disprove the claim?

Example

1. "Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?"
Answer: yes
2. "What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?"
Answer: I am an epileptic (not true) . Dog is trained to sense when a seizure is coming.
If they know enough about the law to know how to answer the two questions, and assuming the dog isn't out of control, you'll have to take them at their word. Could they be lying? Sure. However, since you have no way to prove they are, you'll basically just have to go with it (which, btw, is exactly what the states that do the voluntary registrations have to do currently too).

When you see someone in a wheel chair in the mall, do they really need it? We can't possibly know, but we don't make them prove they do, you know?

Reactions: KellyC and Demon
#41 ·
I was thinking to myself just yesterday, "it's been a long time since a lady tried to pass off an emo dog as a service animal". Well, that error was evidently the kiss of death for my doggie-free streak - today I was requested by this lady, who was pushing a fluffy little toy-sized dog along in a baby stroller.

As usual, I sent the video and accompanying complaint against the pax for attempted service animal fraud to Uber. No account suspension yet from the Dark Side, but that's sure to come later tonight or tomorrow morning.

#42 ·
See how she tried "Asthma, Allergy" first? Obvious faker, but someone who didn't know the rules might have fallen for it. For those not clear on what happened here, "Asthma, Allergy" is not a task, now if she had said "she alerts me to allergens so I can avoid them" (for example), that might have been different. As soon as she was pressed about it a bit, it all fell apart though, because the fakers just don't know how to handle the second question (and that's why it's your best defense against them). Which is, the whole reason I made this (admittedly long) post. I know you already knew the difference elelegido (and thank you for that), but for those who didn't. Clearly, I want to protect real service dogs, but no one should be faking that, and I like it very much when the fakers are put in their place. Sorry your streak got ruined but keep those videos coming as they happen. :)

#44 ·
Most welcome!

#45 ·
A big part of fake service animals is it victimizes REAL Service Animal owners. Creating doubt and suspicion towards those who genuinely need a Service Animal at their side.

We should post videos (like the one posted here) outing fakers. Similar to all the Stolen Valor videos out there~

#46 ·
I'm just happy that I carry pet clean up stuff with me, a towel for them to sit on, a sticky roller that picks up pet fur, and an oder neutralizer. I have no trouble with service animals because I take all animals. Bring on your Service Honey Badgers, because I'd rather have this:

Dog Vehicle Vertebrate Motor vehicle Dog breed

Than this anyway;
Hair Shoulder Shorts Road surface Street fashion

I'd much rather clean up after dog butt been on my seats, than these MallRats with too short skirts and no panties. (Sorry for the TMI, but these Trainwrecks don't care that they are sitting bare assed on your seats and they won't even try to put something under them.)

This one can sit up front with me;
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Jaw Ear

:D:D

#47 ·
I'm just happy that I carry pet clean up stuff with me, a towel for them to sit on, a sticky roller that picks up pet fur, and an oder neutralizer. I have no trouble with service animals because I take all animals. Bring on your Service Honey Badgers, because I'd rather have this:

View attachment 232146

Than this anyway;
View attachment 232147

I'd much rather clean up after dog butt been on my seats, than these MallRats with too short skirts and no panties. (Sorry for the TMI, but these Trainwrecks don't care that they are sitting bare assed on your seats and they won't even try to put something under them.)

This one can sit up front with me;
View attachment 232150

:D:D
Agree 100!

And I'd rather take any animal over these two :eek:

#48 ·
I would be careful refusing even if they’re blatantly lying (fail the two questions, etc.) if you are absolutely depending on Uber income (you should always have a backup plan anyways as there’s many things Uber may deactivate you at the drop of a hat for). This goes especially if you have no problems with dogs or love dogs. Just take them. No matter what, Uber may deactivate you at least while they investigate and you tell your story, provide dash cam footage, etc. Just because they don’t deactivate someone else doesn’t mean they won’t deactivate you. That’s how crazy they are as it seems no one issue is ever investigated same way or with any consistency.

However, if you drive as a side gig for beer money, or you can just as easily deliver pizza for Domino’s or whatever as a side gig if you get deactivated, then I would be more inclined to fight it.

#50 ·
I would be careful refusing even if they're blatantly lying (fail the two questions, etc.) if you are absolutely depending on Uber income (you should always have a backup plan anyways as there's many things Uber may deactivate you at the drop of a hat for). This goes especially if you have no problems with dogs or love dogs. Just take them. No matter what, Uber may deactivate you at least while they investigate and you tell your story, provide dash cam footage, etc. Just because they don't deactivate someone else doesn't mean they won't deactivate you. That's how crazy they are as it seems no one issue is ever investigated same way or with any consistency.

However, if you drive as a side gig for beer money, or you can just as easily deliver pizza for Domino's or whatever as a side gig if you get deactivated, then I would be more inclined to fight it.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

#53 ·
Someone on a complete different forum asked me for this info, and I realized, while I had the link up, I should really put it in this thread too. For those who are curious, I give you the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners (IAADP) Minimum Training Standards for service dogs (basically both the programs, and the owner trained dogs, who take their training seriously anyway, train to this, international, standard). http://www.iaadp.org/iaadp-minimum-training-standards-for-public-access.html

This pretty much mirrors the Assistance Dogs, International (ADI) standards (who are the ones who do the actual "certification" for the countries that do have actual certifications, aka much smaller countries hehe). In fact, even some other smaller countries are having trouble keeping up. Canada, for example, has had to start allowing owner training in some provinces as they just can't keep up with it anymore. If we ever did come up with a way to do a national standard though (we'd need like 10 times the number of trainers and testers than we have now, so that seems unlikely anytime soon), this would almost certainly be it (and those of us who take our training seriously, do train to these standards).

Here is a sample of the ADI Public Access Test Form. This is just a blog post I found on the net. Technically speaking, they weren't supposed to post this (the ADI test is supposed to be accessible only from members, which is expensive and difficult to achieve). However, since they posted it, and not me (plus, I'm not a member).... :D http://jaydensrowena.blogspot.com/p/adis-public-access-test-for-service-dogs.html this one seems to be a bit older , but it seems to have most everything on it. I've actually got a more recent copy off the net from someone else who posted it but wasn't supposed to. However, it's in PDF form and I don't have an easy way to show it to you.

Enjoy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.