Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The great shame of all this distrust amongst drivers, is that ridesharing is a brilliant 21st century concept, it's just that Uber have applied 19th / 20th century employer attitudes to their drivers.

It is actually very similar to the majority of mining companies - where the employee is treated like an idiot child, with no respect, hidden beneath a thin veneer of care. And really, Uber's absolute insistence, on no person to person contact and reliance on bland data driven text responses, is no different from say dealing with a telco or a government department.

Just watch and listen to a politician avoiding answering questions, or reacting as say Colin Barnett - getting angry and confrontational if questioned. The sad reality is Uber treats drivers exactly as most other businesses and large employers do.

Collectively, we hate it, but we're powerless to do anything. Question a public servant or demand an answer, or respect and you know very well you're going to the back of the queue. Question an employer and there goes your job, or at the very least, and opportunity of advancement.

So it's important not to single out Uber as being any different to most large companies - they simply do not see any value in you or I as an individual.

Everyone on this forum understands that two things would make the job viable - a 15% increase in fare structure and payment of the GST by Uber. The only other need would be genuine respect for the drivers.

Now it's not going to happen, but how interesting would it be to see Richard Branson, open up a Virgin Rideshare business, applying the business and moral principles he so strongly insists on. He could cherry pick the best drivers and vehicles and he has no need to build a brand, Virgin is trusted across the world. Finally, in defense of Uber office staff, from many years experience in the corporate world, I have no doubt those people directly employed by Uber, at Subiaco, or any other office, are just as badly treated as drivers are - they simply reflect the culture of the company.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The great shame of all this distrust amongst drivers, is that ridesharing is a brilliant 21st century concept, it's just that Uber have applied 19th / 20th century employer attitudes to their drivers. It is actually very similar to the majority of mining companies - where the employee is treated like an idiot child, with no respect, hidden a thin veneer of care. And really, Uber's absolute insistence on no person to person contact and reliance on bland data driven text responses, is no different from say dealing with a telco or a government department. Just watch and listen to a politician avoiding answering questions, or reacting as Colin Barnett - getting angry and confrontational if questioned. The sad reality is Uber treats drivers exactly as most other businesses and large employers do.
And collectively, we hate it, but we're powerless to do anything. Question a publuc servant or demand an answer or respect and you know very well you're going to the back of the queue. Question an employer and there goes your job, or at the very least, and opportunity of advancement.
So it's important not to single out Uber as being any different to most large companies - they simply do not see any value in you or I as an individual.
Everyone in this forum understands that two things would make the job viable - a 15% increase in fare structure and payment of the GST by Uber. The only other need would be genuine respect for the drivers. Now it's not going to happen, but how interesting woukd it be to see Richard Branson, open up a Virgin Rideshare business, applying the business and moral principles he so strongly insists on. He could cherry pick the best drivers and vehicles and he has no need to build a brand, Virgin is trusted across the world. And from many years experience in the corporate world, I have no doubt that those people directly employed by Uber, at Subiaco, or any other office, are just as badly treated as drivers are - it is the culture of the company.
I understand what you mean but in my life experience I reckon Uber would be the worst I've ever come across.
What a great idea....Virgin ridesharing

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
As usual mr Larriking.... very well put. I admire the idea... hate the execution!!! Just doesn't need to be this way but understand why... they want to dominate the industry by being un-undercutable (think I made up a new word)

a thin veneer of care.
,............of duty of care

politician avoiding answering questions,
This is the thing I hate most about politicians... that and their super & travel rorts (shouldn't they be leading by example?????)

exactly as most other businesses and large employers do.
Maybe worse??? Working outside the law!!!

And collectively, we hate it, but we're powerless to do anything
Oh so true.... but I did something... I stopped...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
The great shame of all this distrust amongst drivers, is that ridesharing is a brilliant 21st century concept, it's just that Uber have applied 19th / 20th century employer attitudes to their drivers.

It is actually very similar to the majority of mining companies - where the employee is treated like an idiot child, with no respect, hidden beneath a thin veneer of care. And really, Uber's absolute insistence, on no person to person contact and reliance on bland data driven text responses, is no different from say dealing with a telco or a government department.

Just watch and listen to a politician avoiding answering questions, or reacting as say Colin Barnett - getting angry and confrontational if questioned. The sad reality is Uber treats drivers exactly as most other businesses and large employers do.

Collectively, we hate it, but we're powerless to do anything. Question a public servant or demand an answer, or respect and you know very well you're going to the back of the queue. Question an employer and there goes your job, or at the very least, and opportunity of advancement.

Everyone on this forum understands that two things would make the job viable - a 15% increase in fare structure and payment of the GST by Uber. The only other need would be genuine respect for the drivers.

Now it's not going to happen, but how interesting would it be to see Richard Branson, open up a Virgin Rideshare business, applying the business and moral principles he so strongly insists on. He could cherry pick the best drivers and vehicles and he has no need to build a brand, Virgin is trusted across the world. Finally, in defense of Uber office staff, from many years experience in the corporate world, I have no doubt those people directly employed by Uber, at Subiaco, or any other office, are just as badly treated as drivers are - they simply reflect the culture of the company.
Very astute observations Larrikin, and you're right on the money I'm thinking. Sad but true ... 'they simply do not see any value in you or I as an individual' it's all a numbers game for them trying to maximise their profits, and aided by the conveyor belt of new drivers signing up all the time. I agree about the staff at HQ, I understand they're on peanuts as well, and no doubt a lot of stress to boot.

If the fares went up 15 - 20% and surges became a lot more frequent you're right, we'd all be a lot happier. Any young person/pax showing interest in being an Uber driver I tell them sincerely do yourself a favour and go and chase the 'big money' working for MacDonalds because that's the sad reality ... at least then they're not wearing their car down as well as getting minimum wage or less.

Perfect for me as someone semi-retired, but I can imagine the stress if someone was misled enough to take out a car loan to 'get into ubering' plus a mortgage/rent to pay plus kids mouths to feed ... it would be pretty grim and he/she would be running themselves ragged working very long hours. I was informed by an American pax that uber brought their rates down rock bottom over there long enough to gain dominant market share then gradually brought the rates up to a more sustainable level for drivers ... perhaps a pipe dream, but it would be great if it was true.

The actual uberring is great fun a lot of the time though ... meeting people / chats it's still got me hooked after 6 months ...but boy I wish they'd implement that thing they're trailling in Melbourne whereby late at night a driver can somehow tweak it so that you only are offered rides in the direction of home rather than the other direction. Had another one last night around midnight... in the city, wanted to jag a pax going north, no joy, ended up halfway up the Freeway towards Joondalup and Ping! but the chap wanted to go to Canningvale! Staggered home at 1:15am ... hmmm

·
Registered
676 Posts
If the fares went up 15 - 20% and surges became a lot more frequent you're right, we'd all be a lot happier.
Not that long before taxi industry collapses then no need for Uber to put fares up as every Taxi driver is forced to sign up or go on dole (of course most Taxi drivers are non citizens so want be eligible for dole). No Surges when there is an oversupply.

Our happiness is irrelevant...

UBER world dominance is all that matters...

Driver sacrifice (income and resources) is the key to Uber's success (not technology) and by destroying and absorbing all competition we are creating an oversupply.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I was informed by an American pax that uber brought their rates down rock bottom over there long enough to gain dominant market share then gradually brought the rates up to a more sustainable level for drivers ... perhaps a pipe dream, but it would be great if it was true.
Not true. The fares are quite a bit worse most markets here than in Australia. Any TINY raises have only come when too many drivers quit and it's a case of cut 30% give back 10% if it happens. 10% of the lowered fare, not the original of course.

Even with GST and higher gas prices you're at best about the same as the US. Certainly not worse.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Uber exploits a modern day character in all of us.. the reluctance of everyone to stand united... Uber knows that no matter how many people protest or get together, there will always be a majority of people who for whatever reasons only think of their own personal circumstances & 'job' security won't engage in protest activities that may risk deactivation

·
Registered
676 Posts
Uber exploits a modern day character in all of us.. the reluctance of everyone to stand united...
Uberisation = exploit the vulnerable and the ignorant who have to work for whatever pittance they can get and then subtract their 25%.

These are the work practises that gave traction to the union movements in the 18th century.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Uber exploits a modern day character in all of us.. the reluctance of everyone to stand united... Uber knows that no matter how many people protest or get together, there will always be a majority of people who for whatever reasons only think of their own personal circumstances & 'job' security won't engage in protest activities that may risk deactivation
Extremely difficult to organise a (large) group of drivers as we are separate entities. Only through the Media could a rally be called. And yes if you fear deactivation, most likely would not participate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Finally, in defense of Uber office staff, from many years experience in the corporate world, I have no doubt those people directly employed by Uber, at Subiaco, or any other office, are just as badly treated as drivers are.
No.
These are the people who lied to our faces time and time again. They are the people who knowingly made the decision to slash the take home pay of all the early pioneers who built the brand in Perth. They haven't had their wages cut by 30%. They're the ones cutting our wages to justify wage increases for themselves. Badly treated? I wonder if they can still pay their rent if they miss a days work through illness? I struggle to pay mine even if I work an extra day.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
^^^ & if someone throws up in the uber office, do they shut the doors and send everyone home with no pay
What a great idea!!! Let's have a tequila session and go onto the subi office and have a vomit protest!!!!

Reminds me of a joke...:)....
Why did the Mexican throw his wife off a cliff????
To keeeeeeell er (tequila)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wonder how much of this is pressure from head office... In the quest for world domination???
Would you con people with lies the way these people do? Pressure from 'head office'? I have no doubt the decision to lower the fare to $1.00/km was made locally and with full awareness of the fact it would cut people's take home wages substantially. Don't make excuses for these people. A great day at work for them is one where they reduce our pay to improve profits. Wouldn't surprise me to learn they have bonuses and commissions directly tied to how low they can get our wages.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think these people are just pawns in this game... what's happening here has happened in a 100 cities before Perth. I am not making excuses for anyone... I am making assumptions... as I don't know but am prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. I don't really give a rat's about whose responsible as my short Uber career is over...:):):)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts