Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many threads in this forum regarding the uninformed or just reckless/lazy PAX who request a ride-share and have no Car Seat or Booster Seat for their child.

Many drivers indulge them, exacerbating the problem.

Some drivers have a ZERO-TOLERANCE policy on this issue, which results in a conversation with the PAX (wasting time), cancelling the ride, and then having the 'beg' Uber or Lyft for the $5 cancellation fee (If Pax will not cancel at their end).

We know all the excuses, 'other drivers have driven me and my child without a car seat,' 'I left my carseat in my husband/wife's car.' etc. etc.

Recently, I've been quite aggressive with LYFT (who promote themselves, accurately or NOT, in the media, as the socially conscious version of UBER, i.e. The Nice Uber).

At the very least, I want 'no carseat' added to the 'reasons for cancelling the ride' so as to automate my $5 cancellation fee and not have to 'beg' customer service 3-5 times a week (and I just do this part time!) to no match me with dead-beat parent-pax in the future.

Here is a recent response from LYFT (we will see if anything comes of this, I remain cynical):

Follow-Up from Lyft Safety
Hi Kurt,

We're following up on the incident that you reported regarding your passenger who didn't bring a car seat for their child. I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

This sort of behavior by a passenger is a violation of our community guidelines and something that we don't tolerate on the Lyft platform. I have reached out to this passenger and followed up appropriately.

I want to assure you that your feedback and comments have been heard, Kurt. I appreciated hearing from a driver as passionate as yourself regarding the safety of children on our platform. Your frustrations are understandable and, while I can't speak to the future of Lyft tools and app development, I can provide two pieces of information:

Work is being done on streamlining the in-app reporting process for car seat cases
We have a Lyft Driver Advisory Council (DAC) where drivers can provide feedback on the driver experiences to driver representatives and get feedback directly in to Lyft. Note that the information appear U.S.-only, but Canadian drivers may also reach out through the form (perhaps set your region to Midwest as the closest approximation).

Again, I want to thank you for reaching out to me. I feel fortunate to have spoken to a driver with such a passion for ensuring the safety of all passengers, even our youngest ones. Every day is a step towards something better, and I firmly believe that individuals such as yourself are on the forefront of that.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
There are many threads in this forum regarding the uninformed or just reckless/lazy PAX who request a ride-share and have no Car Seat or Booster Seat for their child.

Some drivers have a ZERO-TOLERANCE policy on this issue, which results in a conversation with the PAX (wasting time), cancelling the ride, and then having the 'beg' Uber or Lyft for the $5 cancellation fee (If Pax will not cancel at their end).

We know all the excuses, 'other drivers have driven me and my child without a car seat,' 'I left my carseat in my husband/wife's car.' etc. etc.

Recently, I've been quite aggressive with LYFT (who promote themselves, accurately or NOT, in the media, as the socially conscious version of UBER, i.e. The Nice Uber).

At the very least, I want 'no carseat' added to the 'reasons for cancelling the ride' so as to automate my $5 cancellation fee and not have to 'beg' customer service 3-5 times a week (and I just do this part time!) to no match me with dead-beat parent-pax in the future.

Here are a recent response from LYFT (we will see if anything comes of this, I remain cynical):

Hi Kurt,

We're following up on the incident that you reported regarding your passenger who didn't bring a car seat for their child. I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

This sort of behavior by a passenger is a violation of our community guidelines and something that we don't tolerate on the Lyft platform. I have reached out to this passenger and followed up appropriately.

I want to assure you that your feedback and comments have been heard, Kurt. I appreciated hearing from a driver as passionate as yourself regarding the safety of children on our platform. Your frustrations are understandable and, while I can't speak to the future of Lyft tools and app development, I can provide two pieces of information:

Work is being done on streamlining the in-app reporting process for car seat cases
We have a Lyft Driver Advisory Council (DAC) where drivers can provide feedback on the driver experiences to driver representatives and get feedback directly in to Lyft. Note that the information appear U.S.-only, but Canadian drivers may also reach out through the form (perhaps set your region to Midwest as the closest approximation).

Again, I want to thank you for reaching out to me. I feel fortunate to have spoken to a driver with such a passion for ensuring the safety of all passengers, even our youngest ones. Every day is a step towards something better, and I firmly believe that individuals such as yourself are on the forefront of that.
Nothing is going to happen to fix this. Hey why don't you wait out the 5min and click no show. Let them deal with customer service. It's what I do when I can't accept a ride. In fact it's what a rep told me to do with a line ride with baggage that i cancelled on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You complain alot, I bet they will never add the 'no car seat option' no matter how long your messages are to support.

and you considered parents who arent lugging around heavy ass car seats dead beat pax parents? Not everyone knows the ride share laws or have taken taxis oe other forms of transportation which dont require seats.

I understand its annoying when you pull up to a fare and cant pick em up, buts its just a work hazard.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Yesterday I had a customer with a kid. The kid maybe was 5-6. The kid was in my car and I ask him how old is he. On that he replied 8. I ask him what is his date of birth. He said he don't know and his dad told him that he is 8. I just drove them to there destination.

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts
Yesterday I had a customer with a kid. The kid maybe was 5-6. The kid was in my car and I ask him how old is he. On that he replied 8. I ask him what is his date of birth. He said he don't know and his dad told him that he is 8. I just drove them to there destination.
And you forgot to ask the weight, under 110 lbs, requires a car seat. LOL.

This is the hill I have chosen to die on. I do believe that this one is fixable, if only because 'safety' and 'children' tend to be very power levers when exacting policy changes.
It's strange how the HTA exempts Taxis/Limousines from this requirement, but requires all other passenger vehicles including ones used for ridesharing! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You complain alot, I bet they will never add the 'no car seat option' no matter how long your messages are to support.

and you considered parents who arent lugging around heavy ass car seats dead beat pax parents? Not everyone knows the ride share laws or have taken taxis oe other forms of transportation which dont require seats.

I understand its annoying when you pull up to a fare and cant pick em up, buts its just a work hazard.
Actually, I do not complain all that much, in fact I'm ridiculed (albeit pleasantly so!) for being a 'shill' for being complimentary more than for complaining. I am a parent. I have 2 children. It does indeed horrify me that any parent would but their child (not to mention their (and the drivers) emotional well-being at risk -- on the outside chance there was an accident, the death of a child is difficult to work through...especially for the parent, but also for the third party driver.)

I take the time to educate these Pax on a case by case basis, but really, it should be the platforms responsibility to educate their customers (either by carrot, or by stick). When children are involved, there should be little-to-no ambiguity on the subject.

(My favourite part of this is that the Mom or Dad are ALWAYS pissed at me for keeping their children safe. Clearly, getting to that birthday party or grocery store on time in maximum convenience is more important than the safety of their kids. Sure the chances of an accident are small, but they are, especially in congested GTA, far from zero. I was rear-ended on Friday while stopped at a stop sign, what can you do. I was glad I wasn't ride-sharing at the time.)

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts

Here are a recent response from LYFT (we will see if anything comes of this, I remain cynical):

Hi Kurt,

And Uber does NOT have the cancel due to missing car seat option either. That would bring this issue to the forefront more!

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
You don't need a scale. Just have them put on the seat belt and if the part that goes across them is too long to stop them from hitting the back of the front seat then they need a booster.

I had a pax with a child and a ton of groceries. While they were putting their groceries in my back I had the little girl sit and put on the seat belt and I saw that the belt wouldn't protect her properly and I cancelled the trip and had them unload all those groceries lol called lyft and reported them. Man I'm always on the phone with these guys oh well. She knew what the rules were. She just couldn't afford to buy one. Not my problem.

There is a bigger issue that this issue leads to which is this whole ride sharing thing shouldn't be affordable to the poor. It would be one thing if there was no alternative but there is. And thats what they should be using. Not us. There is too much risk and liability and expense involved in catering to these $3 rides.

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't need a scale. Just have them put on the seat belt and if the part that goes across them is too long to stop them from hitting the back of the front seat then they need a booster.

I had a pax with a child and a ton of groceries. While they were putting their groceries in my back I had the little girl sit and put on the seat belt and I saw that the belt wouldn't protect her properly and I cancelled the trip and had them unload all those groceries lol called lyft and reported them. Man I'm always on the phone with these guys oh well. She knew what the rules were. She just couldn't afford to buy one. Not my problem.

There is a bigger issue that this issue leads to which is this whole ride sharing thing shouldn't be affordable to the poor. It would be one thing if there was no alternative but there is. And thats what they should be using. Not us. There is too much risk and liability and expense involved in catering to these $3 rides.
You don't need a car seat for TTC or regular Taxi Cab, there are alternatives, indeed.
The law is the law, so I'm rather inflexible on this one.

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Comrades: there's a very easy solution to all of this. Just fire up your Kijiji app and look for a used child seat and keep it in the trunk if it really is that important to you.
For a booster. YES. Absolutely. I'm on the lookout for one every garbage day in my neighborhood!

For an infant car seat: I am quite concerned about lawsuit, as old car-seats go 'out of code' quite often. I wouldn't take chances with the law on this one.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Comrades: there's a very easy solution to all of this. Just fire up your Kijiji app and look for a used child seat and keep it in the trunk if it really is that important to you.
Okay smartie where am I going to store it when I have pax without kids? In the trunk that they don't use oh ya sure lol

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts

Hi Kurt,

No doubt this is an issue. Thank you for holding the torch on this one.

There is actually a worse situation than no car seats. ..

I once showed up at a pickup and there was no parent! Kid was 11/12 and needed a ride to school....

After I cancelled I wrote to Uber and got the normal b.s. form letter

·
Premium Member
16,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've definitely transported 16-17 year olds around town. I can never tell the age, but I figure, old enough to drive, old enough for me to drive you around. It is very hard to assess the age of teenagers after they hit 15

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
I've definitely transported 16-17 year olds around town. I can never tell the age, but I figure, old enough to drive, old enough for me to drive you around. It is very hard to assess the age of teenagers after they hit 15
Its not hard just listen to their conversation. That's how I knew those two girls weren't 18. You don't need to know forsure about anything. U just need to suspect. Wait out the 5min collect $5. Except I didn't do that though I should have but I needed ride numbers

1 - 20 of 268 Posts