Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can usually go an entire week and encounter only one of these knuckleheads, but this was a curiour trifecta in one single day.

I arrive for passenger "Larry" 7am on a Sunday on a very quiet residential street. Not a single solitary person or moving object to be seen, except Larry, who is opposite me and making that tornado signal with his hand for me to turn around with a 3-point turn. I check my mirrors again puzzled. Really there is nobody around, and the street didn't event warrant a line to divide the lanes. So I pull up eight feet across from him and invite him to cross over to the car. He refuses, and states confidently that he doesn't cross streets for Lyft cars. I tell him I will be right back, so I park at the end of the street, wait five minutes while he waits expectantly for something that will never happen. I call him, I say hello, and collect my five dollar no show fee. Weird.

Passenger Curly was picked up a while later carrying a small potted fern (yes, this is San Francisco). 10 uneventful minutes later we arrive as his home where he asks me to pull into the driveway so he might unload his fern safely. I suggested nicely that he just get out here, as pulling into driveways on city streets creates danger when you have to back up into a busy road. He seemed to not appreciate this education much, but I believe that his fern made it home safely.

Passenger Moe was my favorite. The pickup spot was a busy corner location, so I pulled up to a white zone just in front of the corner. He was approximately 14 feet away with his suitcase but around the corner, so I jumped out and motioned "hi over here!". Moe states the obvious -- that he was there, and I stated the equally obvious -- that I was here. After a few second wild west standoff, I just ran over grabbed his suitcase and started wheeling it to the car. Then he complained again and I had that moment where it is 50-50 if I am going to cancel the ride. Luckily for him he cheered up a little so I took him to the airport instead.

Entitlement Derangement Syndrome was rampant this day.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
I can usually go an entire week and encounter only one of these knuckleheads, but this was a curiour trifecta in one single day.

I arrive for passenger "Larry" 7am on a Sunday on a very quiet residential street. Not a single solitary person or moving object to be seen, except Larry, who is opposite me and making that tornado signal with his hand for me to turn around with a 3-point turn. I check my mirrors again puzzled. Really there is nobody around, and the street didn't event warrant a line to divide the lanes. So I pull up eight feet across from him and invite him to cross over to the car. He refuses, and states confidently that he doesn't cross streets for Lyft cars. I tell him I will be right back, so I park at the end of the street, wait five minutes while he waits expectantly for something that will never happen. I call him, I say hello, and collect my five dollar no show fee. Weird.

Passenger Curly was picked up a while later carrying a small potted fern (yes, this is San Francisco). 10 uneventful minutes later we arrive as his home where he asks me to pull into the driveway so he might unload his fern safely. I suggested nicely that he just get out here, as pulling into driveways on city streets creates danger when you have to back up into a busy road. He seemed to not appreciate this education much, but I believe that his fern made it home safely.

Passenger Moe was my favorite. The pickup spot was a busy corner location, so I pulled up to a white zone just in front of the corner. He was approximately 14 feet away with his suitcase but around the corner, so I jumped out and motioned "hi over here!". Moe states the obvious -- that he was there, and I stated the equally obvious -- that I was here. After a few second wild west standoff, I just ran over grabbed his suitcase and started wheeling it to the car. Then he complained again and I had that moment where it is 50-50 if I am going to cancel the ride. Luckily for him he cheered up a little so I took him to the airport instead.

One of the best stories and styles of prose I have ever read. Thank you!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Passenger Curly was picked up a while later carrying a small potted fern (yes, this is San Francisco). 10 uneventful minutes later we arrive as his home where he asks me to pull into the driveway so he might unload his fern safely. I suggested nicely that he just get out here, as pulling into driveways on city streets creates danger
It was probably his emotional support/service fern. Failing to accommodate him is shaky ground. ?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts

The "Larry" Story was perfect. I'm not sure about the "Curly" story why you bothered typing it. But the "Moe"...I hope airport trips are profitable in your market. They usually are for me in my market. I still think I would have cancelled on Moe. I think i get more joy from a righteous cancel or kick-out then I do for $20 in cash...maybe even $40 in cash.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Wow, are you ever in the wrong business. For #1) What is wrong with making a u-turn or 3 point turn since this was obviously not a problem in this street. Sorry if you need this "power trip" to show YOU are in control, not him! You are in a service business and if you don't like it go back to your regular job in brain surgery. Sheees, For #2) Yeah you are correct to not pull in driveway, but
what is the big deal? #3) Maybe he wasn't so smart or knew exactly what to do. You are the "expert" in this case and it is fine to give a little education.

I think maybe you should do something that doesn't involve working with the public.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow, are you ever in the wrong business. For #1) What is wrong with making a u-turn or 3 point turn since this was obviously not a problem in this street. Sorry if you need this "power trip" to show YOU are in control, not him! You are in a service business and if you don't like it go back to your regular job in brain surgery. Sheees, For #2) Yeah you are correct to not pull in driveway, but
what is the big deal? #3) Maybe he wasn't so smart or knew exactly what to do. You are the "expert" in this case and it is fine to give a little education.

I think maybe you should do something that doesn't involve working with the public.
After you've done your first ride, you will figure it out. But for someone who has never driven rideshare, i admire that you have an opinion already. Bully for you, champ.

The "Larry" Story was perfect. I'm not sure about the "Curly" story why you bothered typing it. But the "Moe"...I hope airport trips are profitable in your market. They usually are for me in my market. I still think I would have cancelled on Moe. I think i get more joy from a righteous cancel or kick-out then I do for $20 in cash...maybe even $40 in cash.
Heh, there is some satisfaction in telling someone you wont be driving them.

Re Driveway Curly, almost everyone knows it is dangerous in SF to back out of driveway onto a busy city street. Probably only had it requested five times in 10000 rides. In the suburbs it is annoying but doable for elderly.

Veteran drivers in cities learn to back up only as a last resort, lest you risk contact with a pedestrian or militant cyclust.

I was certain the post was going to be about Adam Schiff as Larry, Chuck Schumer as Moe and Jerry Nadler as Schemp.
I missed an opportunity!

They are all awful. Funny how you wrote it. But still, what are these morons doing with their lives?
Say it!

It was probably his emotional support/service fern. Failing to accommodate him is shaky ground. ?
Heh. Forgot to mention that i asked Larry if he had a medical problem that prevented him from walking 8 feet. I think you are right to be cautious.

One of the best stories and styles of prose I have ever read. Thank you!
:)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

I used to feel the same as you, and I made the same arguments when I was new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.