Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering driving for traditional cab company. Its the same old tired excuse that I have..."You are losing money by driving for Uber"..that's the bottom line for me - so I'd like anyone to weigh in on the "Cab college" they offer for $150.00. Is it worth it ? Can I just find an online tutorial or study SF maps on my own or something ? I've just got very basic skills when it comes to navigating/knowing SF streets. Generally how much do you pay for the gate ? How much personal street knowledge is required to drive a yellow cab ? If anyone's driven a yellow cab in the city, i'd cheerfully accept some advise.

Cheers
1on1

·
Registered
302 Posts
Find a line of cabs waiting in front of a hotel and ask the drivers who the best company to work for is.

You may need a letter of intent to hire from a cab company first, after that you go to cab school. There may be more than one school to choose from -- ask the drivers on the stand.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I wanted to ask is if there was any way to avoid the $150 fee for their "Cab College", I am surprised they are still charging for their lessons even after stiff competition with ride share outfits like Uber..but they do. Yeah I can chat with a cabbie..just thought there may be ex-cabbies up in here..

·
24,228 Posts
I still drive a cab, but not in San Francsico. I would follow the advice of the Chicago hacker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did stumble upon Kelly Dessiant's blog a few weeks back..but he completely ignored my requests for possible tips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard that! Ok well Desoto..Classes cost $150, I called and they said it was due upfront..hence the reason I was wondering IF I could school myself...do I really need their classes ? Could I study the streets of SF on my own ? Has anyone here taken the Desoto classes ?

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Wow... no disrespect intended, but I have to ask...
if you've been spending $150/wk on gas to drive Uber,
why would spending $150 on 'cab class' be a barrier to entry into a real job?

Reactions: Huberis

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael Cleveland-
None taken..but its always more helpful when you stay "on course" with the answers...asking someone you don't know, why they can or cant afford something is really irrelevant. Its like me asking you why you live in the great lakes region when you want to know how to make more money driving Uber for..

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
Its like me asking you why you live in the great lakes region when you want to know how to make more money driving Uber for..
No it's not the same (and I didn't ask anything like 'how do I make more money driving for Uber')

When someone says they are spending $x on driving Uber each week, it is perfectly appropriate to ask them why they aren't willing to spend that same amount INSTEAD on something they want.
Of course, you don't have to answer... I was just curious.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Why dont you go back to school and learn a trade. There a tons of grants out there for people that want to go back to school.

Driving for Uber or Taxi, your income is like a roller coaster.You can work for Insurance company as a Auto body Estimator. Steady pay and good hours.

I became friends with a UberXL guy that Ubers part just to get out of the house. His full time job is a Auto body estimator for USAA. Base pay is $60k and upward to $275k.
You have to go to school, but they allow you to work after 6 month.

Part timers get $22/h.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why dont you go back to school and learn a trade. There a tons of grants out there for people that want to go back to school.

Driving for Uber or Taxi, your income is like a roller coaster.You can work for Insurance company as a Auto body Estimator. Steady pay and good hours.

And the more Ubers there are on the road, the more demand for auto body work!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts