Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a ride ... The rider was an uber official ...

I don't know how ... I guess I'm a guy that people
Love sharing stuff with ..

He opened up and basically told me this --

" uber created a monster that went out of proportion ... When uber started reaching out for drivers in the beginning of things .. We were targeting nice guys with nice cars who were suppose to download our app and give paid hitch hikes to riders who were some how going their direction ... And within time , most drivers made this a full time gig rather then what it was suppose to be ... It def helped the powerful growth of the company ... But now the CEO basically want to take things back to how it was meant to be ... And by lowering prices he hopes to go back to reaching those drivers who wanna give some rides here and there if they have some spare time .. "

I was shocked to hear the truth flat out like that , from an uber employee ...

But oh well ...

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Was there EVER an app option to pick up riders going the same direction as the driver? Did they not start at commission at 5%, then 20%, now 25-28%? Were there not advertisements back in the day promising $30-40/hour and up to $800 just on weekends? Were there not ads saying drivers in NYC could make $90K per year? Somebody needs to get their lie together.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
by lowering prices he hopes to go back to reaching those drivers who wanna give some rides here and there if they have some spare time .. "

Pretty sure most will figure out there's better things to do with their time.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As he said ... Uber created a monster it originally didn't want to create

I guess the investors saw the opportunity and pushed it towards promising sky high profits and took it from ride share to full time
I have a feeling investors are fleeing the scene now with all the lawsuits ... So Travis wants to take it back to being a "ride share" in time ...
This won't be done overnight ... It will take how long the publicist want it to take

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

" uber created a monster that went out of proportion ... When uber started reaching out for drivers in the beginning of things .. We were targeting nice guys with nice cars who were suppose to download our app and give paid hitch hikes to riders who were some how going their direction ... And within time , most drivers made this a full time gig rather then what it was suppose to be ... It def helped the powerful growth of the company ... But now the CEO basically want to take things back to how it was meant to be ... And by lowering prices he hopes to go back to reaching those drivers who wanna give some rides here and there if they have some spare time .. "

But oh well ...
How many nice guys with nice cars will be attracted to drive for them in the future at these rates? Bottom of the barrel rates, bottom of the barrel drivers and cars.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are making sense now ... But I guess soon they will change the whole scheme ..

Perhaps get rid of surges ... Have a set price .. And maybe destination filters like Lyft

As he said ... It won't be overnight

Watch and see for yourself

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
They have to pay for the spiffy new state-of-the-art Uber headquarters somehow! Or have those plans been put on hold?

·
Banned
3,693 Posts
You are making sense now ... But I guess soon they will change the whole scheme ..

Perhaps get rid of surges ... Have a set price .. And maybe destination filters like Lyft

As he said ... It won't be overnight

Watch and see for yourself
then they'll probably say 50% commission for using their app because technically "you were going the same way anyways"

I see it as a possibility.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Was there EVER an app option to pick up riders going the same direction as the driver? Did they not start at commission at 5%, then 20%, now 25-28%? Were there not advertisements back in the day promising $30-40/hour and up to $800 just on weekends? Were there not ads saying drivers in NYC could make $90K per year? Somebody needs to get their lie together.
You are correct. That is all true, but truth at uBer is what is said now, so what that uBer employee said was true, because it is what Travis, who is uBer, is saying now. It was true then, because Travis said it then, but that is not true now, because it has changed. What is said now is true of then.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
You are correct. That is all true, but truth at uBer is what is said now, so what that uBer employee said was true, because it is what Travis, who is uBer, is saying now. It was true then, because Travis said it then, but that is not true now, because it has changed. What is said now is true of then.
What's true is only true if it's the last thing that was said to be true. If it was said in past, it's only history and not true. What's only true is the truth that's said last. It makes perfect sense now!

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
This philosophy has not been evident in any of the marketing. Why do they always say earn up to $x per week when it's based on full time hours? I'd say they intentionally have been creating this.

There have been other services which do actually target sharing a ride. They market it like that. They pay miserably like .25 per mile and have few users.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Business getting slow. Reduce car requirements. Business getting slow. Reduce driver pay. Get worse drivers-worse cars. Business getting slow cut pay more. Get even worse drivers. Business getting slow. Rinse repeat til you go out of business.

You'd think the light might dawn at some point. But unlikely.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts

But oh well ...
I don't believe 1 bit of what TK is being paraphrased as saying.
That greedy [email protected]!# is trying systematically to be the only method of transportation there is in any market he goes to.
We will live and find out.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Wouldnt be the first venture capital startup to lie in order to saturate a market and destroy all competition.
This philosophy has not been evident in any of the marketing. Why do they always say earn up to $x per week when it's based on full time hours? I'd say they intentionally have been creating this.

There have been other services which do actually target sharing a ride. They market it like that. They pay miserably like .25 per mile and have few users.
r

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

But oh well ...
I call bullshit. Uber straight up advertised in several markets that you can make $1500/wk+ driving for them, that's not a part time gig. Leasing a vehicle through santander or other uber "partners" and paying for it from your weekly earnings is also not a part time gig. Rallying people to drive during holidays and big events is also not giving people going your way a ride. If that was the purpose, they'd let you refuse rides after learning rider destination, or even let you specify where you're headed and send you complimentary rides. From day 1, Kalanick was saying he wants to make it cheaper to uber than to have your own car and also that he wants to replace drivers with driverless cars. I think that drivers have surprised uber with the rates they're willing to drive for. It is a study in human stupidity to say the least.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.