Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a reporter with a site called the Daily Dot, and I'm interested in the driver response to Uber's recent news. As you might know, Uber is testing self-driving cars, and GM (an investor in Lyft) is testing them, too.

How do you feel, as a driver, about Uber testing cars that will eventually replace your jobs? Feel free to reply to this thread. Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
10,310 Posts
It's hard to imagine they will have this going in the next 5 years or so. Can't imagine what the vandalism will be like or throwing up in it for the next passenger, and if I saw an empty one I would be tempted to walk in front of it to get it to stop, put a cone or something in front of it, put another cone behind it and let it sit there unable to move.

I would think that the capital costs would kill them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Please keep in mind self driving cars does not equal driverless cars. Sure, we may see self driving cars (like an autopilot) become more prevalent in the next 5 years or so, but true driverless cars are a long way off.

That being said, true driverless cars will be much safer, greatly reduce congestion and eliminate the need for traffic lights. They will also eliminate the need to own a vehicle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm a reporter with a site called the Daily Dot, and I'm interested in the driver response to Uber's recent news. As you might know, Uber is testing self-driving cars, and GM (an investor in Lyft) is testing them, too.

How do you feel, as a driver, about Uber testing cars that will eventually replace your jobs? Feel free to reply to this thread. Thank you for your time.
I loved the PRE-OWNED Ford Fusion with 1990's Speakers on the roof! "Jesus Loves You, Get your Ice Cream"!

Uber will be so late for self-driving cars. With a valuation of $26 billion mid 2018, Travis will be scratching out the skid marks in his dirty underwear, wondering why he's so hated.

·
Banned
4,953 Posts
I would say most drivers I discuss this with are in denial. They don't seem to know much about the technology or how advanced it is.

My opinion on SDCs is: The world can't just keep killing 1.2M people a year so a driver can keep his gig and I wouldn't want them to.

SDCs are inevitable, coming sooner than many drivers will admit, and will displace TNC drivers first. I hope they are using these next few years preparing for the change.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would say most drivers I discuss this with are in denial. They don't seem to know much about the technology or how advanced it is.

My opinion on SDCs is: The world can't just keep killing 1.2M people a year so a driver can keep his gig and I wouldn't want them to.

SDCs are inevitable, coming sooner than many drivers will admit, and will displace TNC drivers first. I hope they are using these next few years preparing for the change.
You are correct, SDC's are not far off... it's the driverless cars that are going to take a little longer. It's one thing to program a car to go from a to b along major roads, but when it comes to all the all the idiosycrasies, it will take a while to program perfectly. And you can't start putting paying customers in a driverless vehicle until its working perfectly.

·
Banned
4,953 Posts
You are correct, SDC's are not far off... it's the driverless cars that are going to take a little longer. It's one thing to program a car to go from a to b along major roads, but when it comes to all the all the idiosycrasies, it will take a while to program perfectly. And you can't start putting paying customers in a driverless vehicle until its working perfectly.
Perfection isn't required. We have a legal system to deal with inevitable imperfection, intent, insurance, and most importantly, liability or the lack thereof. We don't require perfection in anything and that's not going to change suddenly. Unless there is dishonesty or negligence, accidents are accidents, and they have prescribed consequences.

I don't agree with your timeline. While SDCs will come first, driverless will come en masse first because that's where the money is. Driverless SDC TNC. GM, Uber, Lyft, and others are betting their entire future on it.

What is a while to you? Google started working on it in 2007. They are saying 2020. That's awhile, yes? Bearing in mind, real world data driven simulator miles are just as valid as road miles to a computer, there will be tens or hundreds of millions of miles by 2020.

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
Who is going to own these self-driving cars?

Uber? Does Uber want the liability exposure?

A dummy corporation? What happens when someone sues the dummy corporation, secures a judgment and seizes the assets?

Allright, so you have a dummy corporation that owns the cars, leases them to another dummy corporation that contracts with Uber. Lawyers these days, sue everyone: the person who owns the car, the person who operates the car, the service with which the car was under contract at the time of the occurrence, the list goes on.

Do you have fifty dummy corporations that own ten cars apiece that lease them to ten other corporations that contract with Uber?

"My, what a tangled web we weave....................................", never mind an expensive one. I wonder if Sir Walter Scott ever thought of that. It has been some time since I read Marmion.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts

A dummy corporation? What happens when someone sues the dummy corporation, secures a judgment and seizes the assets?

Allright, so you have a dummy corporation that owns the cars, leases them to another dummy corporation that contracts with Uber. Lawyers these days, sue everyone: the person who owns the car, the person who operates the car, the service with which the car was under contract at the time of the occurrence, the list goes on.

Do you have fifty dummy corporations that own ten cars apiece that lease them to ten other corporations that contract with Uber?

"My, what a tangled web we weave....................................", never mind an expensive one. I wonder if Sir Walter Scott ever thought of that. It has been some time since I read Marmion.
They write their own laws and have an army of lawyers. This industry is done, I'll be looking for a tall building or a nice bridge.

Don't really want to share a word with a bunch of Travis Kalanicks anyway. Who would.

·
Banned
4,953 Posts

Instead of asking long ago answered questions as if they are some (imaginary) roadblock, you could educate yourself on the subject.

The laws and courts haven't changed. Insurance still exists. People don't get to just sue and seize assets in an accident. Stay calm, it's not complicated, and try to read something on the subject.

Did you really think the largest auto and technology companies in the world neglected these questions? Do your scenarios fabricated out of thin air without any basis in reality even help your point?

Definitions of terms you should learn: Partnerships. Liability. Culpability. Intent. Negligence. Insurance.

OK, so, who will own them? Anyone who wants to.

Why would anyone need a dummy corporation? That doesn't even make sense. It's called insurance, and when your product is safer than the other, it costs less. It's purchased by every business in the chain from material suppliers, part manufacturers, vehicle manufacturers, vehicle owners, and TNC provider. Sue away. Name everyone. Best of luck. The companies you aspire to sue have been dealing with lawsuits since their inceptions and are still here with their assets.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I've had a drunk guy jump out as I was stopping at a red light because he saw TACO BELL. Rest of the passenger's laughed.

Would these cars lock the passenger's inside, or how would it handle an intoxicated person getting out at 3MPH for tacos?
The liability would be entirely on the passenger.

This business is toast, none of these people care in the slightest what happens to you.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's hard to imagine they will have this going in the next 5 years or so. Can't imagine what the vandalism will be like or throwing up in it for the next passenger, and if I saw an empty one I would be tempted to walk in front of it to get it to stop, put a cone or something in front of it, put another cone behind it and let it sit there unable to move.

I would think that the capital costs would kill them.
I think the model has already been established for this: ZipCar.

With ZipCar the new driver shows up at a car that was left by the prior driver in a parking spot. If the car was vandalized this new driver reports it. If someone barfed in the car and left it, the new driver reports it. Same thing with self driving taxis: the next rider reports the issue if it's not already known.

Regarding putting cones in front of the car: that is hilarious... but it will also be (if it isn't already) illegal and as the car is filming everything it'll make it easier to find you than other pranks you could pull.

I do have a related similar concern for self driving cars though: car jackings / robbery / rape, etc. All that some thugs would have to do is walk out in front of a self driving car and it would have to stop. Once stopped, threaten the people within with a weapon to get them to open the doors (or smash a window), then do whatever it is that thugs do. If it was a human driving they could (not all do, as evidenced by the fact that this already happens today) calculate the risk, realize that the thugs were in the wrong, and mow down a few of them to get away, if necessary. I'm sure that the initial self driving cars won't be able to handle the situation in that way, until a few people get killed... then that feature will have to be added to the software.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

I'm not worried about this at all. In fact, it presents a great opportunity: owning fleets of self-driving cars.

Uber is currently a company that has primarily operating expenses (if they do zero rides their expenses fall very quickly, they do not have billions of assets to dispose of if their business shrinks). Uber might want to transition to a capital intensive business model where they own the cars themselves, but that's essentially being a bank and other companies are better at being banks. GE and GM both got into the financing business to enable their core business and both of them eventually divested that business as they realized they should stick to their core business. I expect that if Uber builds up a fleet of 1 million cars they will quickly realize it's not as profitable as simply operating the technology side of things and letting others own the fleets of cars.

As a current driver, I could easily make way more money if I was able to simply utilize my credit rating and available capital to build out a fleet of 10+ self-driving cars. There is a risk in this in that if too many others did the same I might end up with more cars than I need, but I should be able to sell them without losing too much money if that's the case (as cars will still be in demand, both for individuals to purchase and by others operating fleets of shared vehicles).

So I say: bring it on!

I realize that many other drivers do not have the capital or credit to enter this new business model and I feel for their impending loss, but I'm excited for what it means for me.

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
OK, so, who will own them? Anyone who wants to.
The questions posed were just that. Sometimes, people pose questions because they want answers. You have provided an answer to one question. I will refrain from commenting on that answer, for now, at least. If you know the answers to the other questions, or know where I can find them, please provide same. If you do not know, please either state that or make no statement.

As for your other comments, there is no call for them or their tone.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Self driving cars can never replace uber drivers. Driving is only a small part of the drivers job. Taxi is about the worst application for this technology. They haven't yet created driverless trucks and trains which would be a much simpler application.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.