Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is as clean as can be and is in great shape, I am one of the few Uber drivers here who provide bottled water to passengers, I always use WAZE, I greet the customers, say a few positive words during the trip and give them a mighty "Thank you for using Uber and have a nice day." There are never any obvious issues on my trips like fights, disagreements or questionable episodes on my part. I even subscribe to a local full service car wash where my ride is washed and vacuumed daily. I always wear a pair of slacks and a polo shirt or a dress shirt and shower before each shift. Before and after each rider the windows are rolled down to make sure the vehicle is absolutely fresh. Perfume, cologne or b/o from the last rider is aired out. The right passenger seat is always scooted up to maximize space for the rider. I do have a phone charger onboard, inverter and power strip onboard. Finally, I always jump out to assist with baggage.

Despite all my efforts which I do believe is far better than the local taxi cab driver and on par or better than your regular limo service, every once in a while I get a 1. There are quite a few people who compliment me, but there is always that one guy who seems rather quiet and to themselves. When I sense that I have "that guy", I do my best to put them at ease, but still you cant escape them...the sour grapes riders who downrate you for some odd reason only they know and understand.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
When you sell yourself cheap, you get no respect.
Welcome to reality Josh. You are just a temporary inconvenience before uber-powered driverless cab comes along anyway. Must especially hurt while
being such a cheerleader?
It's not you, it's just that Travis not that much into you, hon. What do you drive BTW?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The system is probably by design. It might be used to serve a couple functions. For one, the peer to peer point system allows a person, driver or pax for that matter to vent their frustrations. It allows a pax to be the punisher (more so than perhaps they even realize) as if they have some kind of say, without having to put pax in actual phone contact with CSR too often. The peer to peer rating system also allows Uber to control their drivers through fear. The rating system provides a driver an obvious source of frustration to obsess over in place of focussing on more real, pressing concerns such as insurance and maintenance realities.

Uber simply averaged it all out, they looked at the numbers, scratched their heads, maybe once, and said "If we dump the bottom 10%, we should be removing most of the people of real concern."

It is all pretty simple. It is just a number. For a driver to fret over having a 4.73 versus a 4,85 is beyond stupid. There is zero qualitative difference other than timing and luck for most people.

I believe from an Uber perspective the rating system probably works flawlessly. I believe they would much prefer drivers regard them as clueless and incompetent rather than manipulative and duplicitous. This is the company that brought you God's view. Travis is a student of human behavior. The rating system has got to be by design.

As for Waze, NJDriver, I have heard mixed reports about its effectiveness. I understand the benefit for GPS and Waze, particularly in a region where traffic is likely to be tremendous. No question. Those devices do make errors, but more importantly, in my mind anyway, if you defer to them you kind of relinquish a certain amount of authority to them. Suddenly, Waze is driving the car, you are merely steering it around obstacles. That is my opinion, mind you. I know Uber really pushes drivers to turn their agency over to the technologies at their disposal, I question that advice.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
and give them a mighty "Thank you for using Uber and have a nice day."
"Thank you for using Uber and have a nice day." There is nothing wrong with saying have a nice day but three things can happen if you do.
1- They take it sincerely and think kindly of you for the friendly gesture.
2- They feel as if you said it only because your trying to seem polite and its a good way to end the interaction but, you don't really mean it because you say it all day long.
3- They get annoyed with the "Have a nice day" because its overused and salesman like that turns a casual ride into something transactional which leaves a bad taste in their mouth.

Be less predictable, more casual, treat them (the normal ones anyway) like regular people, like someone you've met once or twice not like a customer. If your stressing over ratings the last thing you want to have happen is have a passenger feel (consciously or subconsciously) like he just bought something when he gets out of the car

There are never any obvious issues on my trips like fights, disagreements or questionable episodes on my part.
If its not something obvious than I would guess its driving style. That doesn't mean there is anything necessarily wrong with your driving style only that it may not be well suited while there is passenger in the back seat. They should feel as little G forces (forward, backward, left and right) as possible back there. The easiest way to make that happen is to eliminate any sudden movements on the road, brake early, accelerate smoothly and keep the car as flat as possible when turning. Most importantly slow down. Of course there is a fine line between a comfortable speed and too slow. You can learn to "read" the passengers and get a feel for their comfort range regarding speed.

Besides making an effort to have the passenger be physically comfortable there is also the physically safe aspect. So realize that just because they don't feel like they are in danger doesn't mean that they are aware that you are a very safe, alert and professional driver. You need to make an effort to be sure they realize of those things.

Some things are obvious like keep your eyes on the road and don't look at them in the rear view while talking to them. Things that will make them realize your a pro driver are scanning all your mirrors frequently. Don't just glance with your eyes, make a slightly exaggerated movement with your head so its obvious your checking your surroundings. If there is a potential hazard ahead of you or at the sides of the road perk up in your seat, raise your head and reposition both hands on the wheel. Its not hard just think about using subtle body language to portray focus, control and confidence of your surroundings and abilities.

Having said that the rating system still sucks.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yeah I agree it's bad. I had 22 5 star rides in one day in a row in my rating did not change. 2 days ago and 15 rides at an average of 4.5 and my rating went down .001.

Its saying that the 15 rides where a lower rating than the 15 rides that were removed which would be 501 to 5:15. And it says 22 rides was not greater than the 22 rides that were removed 501-522

I also think it's possible one star ratings hang around longer than 500 trips clearly 22 five star ratings in a row if you have to reverse a one star rating a few 1000 of a point

The logarithm is designed to cause drivers to fail .

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Not really just the one of the few times I took a close look at it. You can go through all these sites like guy Yelp and TripAdvisor and hotels.com you can go through all the sites like guy yelp in tripadvisor and read how people write stupid s*** as the worst it could be

·
Banned
919 Posts
You are a putz. Stop over doing it and giving out water. You are exactly an example of the Uber Robot. Do you refuse tips also? Seriously, if you are getting a ton of 5 and an occasional 1 star, don't sweat it and I hope you stop giving out freebies and just do a good job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rating system does suck, but all we can do is do our best driving, keeping the pax engaged, and keeping our vehicles in a clean, well-maintained shape. And yes, I know about those people who are eerily quiet that you feel like you're walking on eggshells (or driving on eggshells?). After such ride, my perfect 5 score after driving for my first 3 weeks went down to 4.5 ...it seems devastatingly low, right? But it's all good because it ain't below 4 (just looking on the bright side).

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uber sends out the summary and at the bottom is the ratings for the "Top Drivers". Last week it was 4.76 for the top drivers. Over the summer it was generally in the high 4.8s. You have your own summary and can see what the top drivers are getting.

My perception is rating depends in part on the persons mood at the time. Last night these people got in and were in an obvious bad mood. I did everything I could to make them comfortable, but there was nothing I could do. Whereas the other day this group of people jumped in and were going on a vacation trip. They seemed very happy and it took nothing from me to get a positive reaction.

Right now weather is changing, people stressing and any little thing sets them off. Me saying have a nice day is all of a sudden a hostile gesture. Thats totally NJ and NY where people turn innocent remarks into hostile gestures.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The rating system does suck, but all we can do is do our best driving, keeping the pax engaged, and keeping our vehicles in a clean, well-maintained shape. And yes, I know about those people who are eerily quiet that you feel like you're walking on eggshells (or driving on eggshells?). After such ride, my perfect 5 score after driving for my first 3 weeks went down to 4.5 ...it seems devastatingly low, right? But it's all good because it ain't below 4 (just looking on the bright side).
Please elaborate on "keeping the pax engaged". This could be the reason for your rapid rating decline.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For engagement, I believe you want to greet them and say a proper good bye. In the middle of the ride, you want to make one positive comment but not to engage the rider in conversation unless they prompt you to do so. Ive found having light music on in the background like smooth jazz to bring better ratings. Silence always brings lower ratings. People dont like to be ignored. Of course, use common sense and change it up depending upon the situation, but never any negativity.

Still the passengers general mood is king. If they are in a bad mood no amount of hi, goodbye and what a great day will change that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Only with these TICs can a drunk college student have so much influence over a business.

I explained to the father of a college student last week what was going on with the rating system and he had no idea about the effect of low ratings on driver deactivation. I went on to explain why a lot of drivers avoid college campuses like the plague.

Long term, the rating system will degrade the system to the point that it will hand business back to the cab companies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rating system could be changed to be more subjective. 3 questions they could check a box

1-was the driver courteous and on time?
2-was the vehicle clean/tidy?
2-did you arrive to your destination safely?

Thank you for your feedback!

LOL

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Only with these TICs can a drunk college student have so much influence over a business.

I explained to the father of a college student last week what was going on with the rating system and he had no idea about the effect of low ratings on driver deactivation. I went on to explain why a lot of drivers avoid college campuses like the plague.

Long term, the rating system will degrade the system to the point that it will hand business back to the cab companies.
Or they're going to have to complete and release that Driver Bill of Rights that that Uber CSR mentioned to me 2 years ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts